shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Inscriptions - good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ginlei

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any good or bad opinions regarding laser inscribed stones?

I've been hearing conflicting arguments on the matter. I personally think it's a great feature to have, but I don't know if it has any effect on stone itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Inscription cost about 50$ and helps you identify the diamond. There is nothing wrong with it if it is a grading report number or/and a brand name.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We recently spent over $70K on laser inscription equipment. If I didn't feel strongly that it is a real aid to consumer confidence and stone re-identification, I would not have spent so much money.

We don't charge even $50 for most inscription work. The fees for the public run from less than $20 and average more in the $40 category.

Glad to do this for people who want to be readily able to identify their stone from any other.

davidc

Rough_Rock
On a related note, how does one actually see the laser inscription? I have a 10x loupe and am unable to make out the inscription.

-- David.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use a 10x loupe to read the ones we put on diamonds. We generally try for 50 microns or more in size. Some very thin girdles require 40 or 30 micron height letters which are very hard to see with 10X.

You can buy a 14x or even a 20X hand held diamond loupe if you want to have a higher power eye magnifier. You also need excellent close vision or proper corrective lenses.

davidc

Rough_Rock
Thanks, oldminer for the response.

I believe that I may not using the loupe correctly. Any pointers on using a loupe correctly? However I do have bad eyesight!

I need to leave my fiancee's e-ring with a jeweller to get a matching wedding band made. I need to read the inscription so that I am assured that I will be getting the same stone back.

-- David.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results