shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Hi all,I am wondering if it is a good idea to have GIA cert number inscripted to the girdle of my stone. I live near GIA Carlsbad, the fee is $27.00
will the inscription reduce the value of my diamond? I want to do this because I heard bad jeweler might swap my stone during cleaning.
Thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Newbie99,Have a look at Lawmax and StevL posts here: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000163.html Keep in mind that this is not the best way to identify a diamond. Inscription can be easily polished out or created on another stone.There are better ways to identify the diamond e.g. a plot of inclusions.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Newbie;You should also consider GemPrintBarry www.superbcert.com ------------------
barry

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid, Barry.I heard about GemPrint. it identifies and maps inclusions in the diamond for future identification. However, I don't know if this technique works in a flawless diamond. My stone is an IF clarity. Will it work?
Thanks,

barry

Shiny_Rock
Yes.Every diamond is unique with its own
internal characteristics; much like a fingerprint.Gemprint will capture this unique pattern and configuation.Barry www.superbcert.com ------------------
barry

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GemPrint doesn't capture the inclusions but specific reflection pattern unique for every gem, piece of jewelry, even watches
smile.gif
Some insurance companies give 10% discount for your diamond insurance if it was GemPrinted.GemPrint have the same limitation. If the diamond will be repolished its reflection features will be altered and it won't match old GemPrint record. Although it is impossible to create a fake with the same GemPrint pattern.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Leonid;Could you please contact me today or drop me an e-mail as where I can contact you.Need to ask you something.Thanks,Barry www.superbcert.com ------------------
barry

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid & Barry,Thanks very much for the info.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Leonid;Your Austalian accent is very
becoming... mate
smile.gif
Barry www.superbcert.com ------------------
barry

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would do no harm to an IF stone to have it inscribed. $27 sounds like inexpensive protection. It could be removed intentionally, but it will not wear off. A Gemprint is only as good as the Gemprint Company. Without them being in business, no one else can make use of their records. They have been around for 20+ years and we used to do them ourselves. Who knows what the future will bring, however.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results