shape
carat
color
clarity

laser inscription question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jacksa

Rough_Rock
Since I am rather new at diamond shopping(and since I saw this today), I figure I would ask. When looking at the pavillion of a princess cut diamond at 15 power from the side opposite a black girdle inscription. Are the refractive properties such that you could read the inverted backward inscription reflecting off of a pavillion facet in the right lighting?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting questions.

In a round diamond you often can see (from the side) a reflection of the girdle as a horizontal line part way down the pavillion. I imagine any inscription would be scrambled due to the faceting and not be able to be read.

jacksa

Rough_Rock
thanks for your thoughts. I could definitely read it--though inverted and backwards--confusing, although I don't consider myself even remotely competent in physics or light refraction. anyone know any good websites which discuss princess cut light refraction? Thanks.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It is possible to detect inscriptions from the opposite side of a stone on a fancy shape diamond and quite often we can read it if we get the angle right, it is a bit more difficult with rounds because of the facet structure... The inside of a diamond is a lot like a room full of tiny mirrors all lined up symmetrically so that the light will bounce around within the diamond and then exit through the top... Thus inclusions and occasionally an inscription is likely to reflect.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results