shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser inscription? Must have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meffaman

Rough_Rock
I have the choice of getting my wifes rings next week as planned but without the GIA number being inscribed because Monday is a Jewish holiday, or getting them a week later with the inscription, but this moves things out and kinda wrecks my plans.

I guess my question is do PS''ers feel having the cert number inscribed is really important? I''d feel better knowing I can easily identify a stone without having to plot inclusions, but I''m anxious to get these rings in/on my wifes hands.

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think, for the sake of peace of mind, a lot of folks get the inscriptions done, so I''m guessing that it''s probably advisable to do it and just wait the week (although I don''t know how drastically it throws off your plans). I don''t know much about it myself, but I don''t suppose there''s a way to inscribe the diamond while it''s set? That way you could give it to your wife when you want to, and take it to get it inscribed at a later time?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it isn''t necessary at all. Almost anyone can just polish it out if they know it''s there and wants to steal your stone so it isn''t super useful for loss prevention.

It''s more for YOU if YOU want it to try and identify your stone. It makes it somewhat simpler if you leave the stone at a jewelers and want to make sure it''s the same stone you get back...but it isn''t a big deal IMO.

meffaman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. After I posted they told me that it could be removed and the inclusions are the best indentification, so I''ll go without at this point. They would have inscribed while it was set, so I guess we can have it done down the road if we wanted.

They just sent me pics of the finished rings. They look awesome and I can''t wait to see the look on my wifes face when I casually give them to her.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t bother with it either. Just always leave your rings with a top notch jeweler and you shouldn''t have to worry. Reputation is important to good jewelers. (Oh, and have insurance anyway.)

Please come back with pictures for us!

meffaman

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of both rings together that Christen from GOG sent me. I''ll take others when I receive them and post again

meffaman

Rough_Rock
So I can''t seem to insert a pic......

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to save it to My Pictures, make sure it is small enough, name it an original name, and then try posting.

meffaman

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 7:00:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
You have to save it to My Pictures, make sure it is small enough, name it an original name, and then try posting.
I still couldn''t seem to get it to show up in my post, but I was able to upload it to the gallery.

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/picture3075.aspx

The center stone is a 1.22 Tolkowsky H SI1 and the sides are I SI1''s AGS triple 0''s .51 & .52 all from GOG. The rings are Precision Set platinum.

PeachRing

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I could be wrong but I thought the laser inscribes could only be removed by a cutter. AGS told me they can not be polished off. Anyway, I have very pricey stones and I feel much safer with the numbers on them. I think it''s a no brainer to get them, you will never have to say "I wish I had gotten them inscribed".

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just learn your inclusion patterns - far more reliable.

PeachRing

Rough_Rock
Hi,

How do you learn your inclusion patterns if you have IF or VVS stones?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 9:10:08 PM
Author: PeachRing
Hi,

All diamonds are graded at x10, so if you know what you are doing with a loupe and have studied the plotting of your stone's inclusions, you should be able to spot the inclusions in a VVS stone.

IF stones are only internally flawless and so there maybe exterior marks. In any case, they are so rare, that I can't see why any jeweller would want to swap one IF diamond for another - he's risking his reputation and for what?

If you prefer an inscription for added peace of mind, fair enough, but I wouldn't say it's a must have.

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 9:21:15 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 6/7/2008 9:10:08 PM
Author: PeachRing
Hi,

All diamonds are graded at x10, so if you know what you are doing with a loupe and have studied the plotting of your stone''s inclusions, you should be able to spot the inclusions in a VVS stone.

IF stones are only internally flawless and so there maybe exterior marks. In any case, they are so rare, that I can''t see why any jeweller would want to swap one IF diamond for another - he''s risking his reputation and for what?

If you prefer an inscription for added peace of mind, fair enough, but I wouldn''t say it''s a must have.
agreed, i decided against it. stick with a reputable dealer, unless its a peace of mind thing in which case i say go for it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results