shape
carat
color
clarity

laser inscription missing!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of GIA stating on their report that a diamond was laser inscribed, but the dealer says that they must have forgotten to do it thus the inscription is not there, but they say that the diamond checks out and is the actual one from that report? Am I being gullible? or is this scenario possible?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if it''s just hard to see?

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Am I the only one who smells something funny? *sniff sniff*
If the GIA report says it''s inscribed, it should be inscribed.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
i have to agree with 1 1/2 rock...

hmmm.. 2 things...

1) who "checked" out the diamond as being the right one? the people trying to sell you the stone (and the "story" of GIA "forgetting the inscription"? or a third party who is qualified to do so and has no vested interest in the diamond sale?

2) if you "buy" this "story", it'll be yours to "sell" in the future if you show proof the stone and the cert match... and i think it is gonna be really hard to "sell"...

my 2 cents...

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
I wondered that, isn''t it usually on the girdle...the jeweler said that his supplier doesn''t see it...and neither does he, but he swears it visually matches the report. Let me get your opinion.
F
VS1
EX/EX
table 57%
depth 60.2%
crown 34.0
pavillion 40.8
faint blue fluor
2 crystals (one kinda in the middle of the table)
1 cloud (right next to crystal in question)
$10,000

I kinda want all the feedback before I shell out $200 on an appraisal.

Thanks in advance

:)

Brilliant_Rock
It may be too small to see - we have had posters with difficulty seeing their inscription in the past. How high magnification is the jeweler using? I think someone said you needed at least 20x to clearly see? (Don''t quote me on that, but I remember it was a higher mag to clearly see the inscription...)

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
I know the jeweler said he was looking for the crystals and clouds at 20X...so I assume that he was looking for the inscription at 20X as well.

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
I have a hard time seeing my GIA numbers with a 10X loupe
I do have a microscope 40X and my numbers are easily visible at 40X

If the GIA report says is numbered....I'd say look harder or send it to someone who has a better microscope.

JogiaDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
It''s possible, and it has happened to me once (cert says it''s lasered but there isn''t one).

GIA are sometimes like that, issuing dossiers instead of full reports, forgetting laser inscriptions etc etc.

You can however easily send it back to the GIA to fix the problem.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:38:02 AM
Author: :)
It may be too small to see - we have had posters with difficulty seeing their inscription in the past. How high magnification is the jeweler using? I think someone said you needed at least 20x to clearly see? (Don''t quote me on that, but I remember it was a higher mag to clearly see the inscription...)
Ditto

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have it verified. Use stronger magnification if I have to. That''s the only way I''d know for sure it is the exact diamond as described in the GIA report. You can have the exact same measurements on a different diamond but subtle differences in clarity is not something you can detect with the untrained eye. That''s why you need this laser-inscribed ID. You certainly want to sleep easy at night and not wonder if someone had pulled a fast one on you. That''s my 2cts anyway..

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s always possible that GIA made a mistake, we all do occasionally and I’m sure they will be happy to correct it if they did, but my bet would be on the microscope and the person doing the search. When the carbon gets cleaned out of the numbers they are sometimes pretty hard to see.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is possible that the GIA made an error, I had a situation awhile back where I found a tiny feather within a diamond while checking it in which was not indicated on the plotting diagram. I called the GIA lab and inquired as to whether they had simply overlooked the feather while plotting the stone on the lab report and they said "what feather?" so I had to send the diamond back to the GIA... And they sent it back a few weeks later with the exact same plotting diagram. So I called again and again they said "what feather?" so I circled the feather with a black sharpie and sent the diamond back to them and this time it came back with the feather indicated on the plotting diagram. Gemologists are people too, they make mistakes, it happens. I don''t know a single person or gemological laboratory that hasn''t made a mistake at some point.

But more likely is that the black carbon dust that remains after a diamond is inscribed which makes it easier to locate the inscription has finally been cleaned out by steam cleaning or being boiled in an ultra sonic and the inscription is just difficult to see. This happens to all inscriptions with a little cleaning or over time. There are times when I sit there staring at a diamond, spinning and spinning and spinning it around and around trying to find the inscription and with a little luck and proper lighting and 50 - 60x magnification I can usually find it, often it is just a matter of persistence.

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
It may also not be a GIA mistake. Check the date on the certificate as well, as diamonds go alot of places after they are certified. It may have been previously owned and has been traded in with small nicks or abrasions on the girdle which needed to be polished off.

If the date on the cert is older than two years and the inscription is truly no longer present I would reccomend having the diamond sent back to GIA for an update. This is typically less expensive for the vendor than a brand new cert, and GIA can reinscribe the girdle while it is there.

Pippin

Rough_Rock
I can never see mine unless I use a microscope.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results