shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser inscription maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We received a new insert with a group of AGS Graded diamonds that we unpacked today and thought that the content of the insert might be of interest to people here on Price Scope since the issue of laser inscription and the visibility of inscriptions was recently brought up on another thread (which has thankfully been put to rest since it never should have been started)...

Here is what the insert had to say...

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Laser Inscription Maintenance/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Caring For Your Inscribed Diamonds
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Laser inscription itself is a process that converts the carbon structure of a diamond into graphite. The black, visible markings of a laser inscription are the embedded graphite left behind after the process is complete. With the growing prominence of laser inscription, the issue of handling and caring for laser inscribed diamonds is a critical one.

Presentation is of the utmost importance, so proper handling techniques should be followed. Avoid such procedures as (cyanide) bombing exceeding five percent, stripping, or polishing with a harsh brush embedded with a condensed cell compound, since these methods will wear away the imbedded graphite. Instead, try alternate methods to avoid damage or removal of your inscription, including steam cleaning, mild pickling, polishing with a fine brush, and ultrasonic cleaning.

Following these simple techniques will ensure the longest life and highest quality of a diamond''s laser inscription, providing satisfied and appreciative customers for you./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

SUPA IDEAL KID

Rough_Rock
Robin and Todd,

How easy is it to remove the carbon?

I recently came across a diamond with laser Inscription but without the black, visible markings.(The inscroption is totally white)

Does this mean this diamond has been over cleaned? or simply it''s not a new diamond but actually one has been worn and improerly cleaned by the user? The GIA paper is back dated to March of 2004. It''s hard for me to see a high end jeweler would do this to it on his own.

Look forward to your opinion on this.

Bob

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think retipping might do it - where the stone is heated during soldering.

And probably deep boiling - which is done in HydroFlouric acid - the nastiest acidic substance on earth.

I will ask Peter Yantzer - the AGS lab director who has just been given the highest AGS award
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2005 1:46
6.gif
7 AM
Author: SUPA IDEAL KID
Robin and Todd,

How easy is it to remove the carbon?

I recently came across a diamond with laser Inscription but without the black, visible markings.(The inscroption is totally white)

Does this mean this diamond has been over cleaned? or simply it''s not a new diamond but actually one has been worn and improerly cleaned by the user? The GIA paper is back dated to March of 2004. It''s hard for me to see a high end jeweler would do this to it on his own.

Look forward to your opinion on this.

Bob
Inscriptions can become translucent with even the slightest amount of cleaning, especially if the inscription itself is sprayed using an ultrasonic cleaner. We wouldn''t worry about it, this is a standard thing... The incriptions can still be seen quite clearly if the stone is tilted a little to play with the light so that a shadow of sorts is created. The 2004 paper wouldn''t concern us either...

SUPA IDEAL KID

Rough_Rock
My main concern is, why would the black mark, (carbob) vanish when the diamond is brand new? How often does the jeweler cleans it under extreme condition before it is actually sold?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We use steam cleaners, amonia and detergent and all sorts of nasty stuff.

Here is a few comments from Peter Yantzer, the AGS Lab director and all round nice guy:

Hi Garry:
The only way to remove the laser inscription itself is to re cut the facets on which the inscription is located - most often girdle facets but we have had requests to place the inscription on the bezel facet as well.
However, there are a number of ways that you can remove the graphite that is embedded in the inscription. The graphite, being black, gives you the visibility to easily see the inscription. If you remove the graphite, the inscription becomes transparent and is difficult to see.
The inscription itself is only a few microns deep. Therefore, the graphite can be removed inadvertently by polishing the prongs or by pickling or by boiling in certain acids. Not being a bench man, I don''t know first hand what will or will not remove the graphite. There are probably some gold and platinumsmiths that can post and give expert advice.
The purpose of the new insert is to let people know that this can happen.
Heartily,
Peter

I have seen some very new stones that the Carbon has already departed a week after inscription.
If you know the writting is there - you can still find it - but reading it with a loupe becomes near impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results