shape
carat
color
clarity

laser inscribing will exempt us from future buyback/upgrade

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I'm trying to decide if we should get our IF-graded, loose diamond laser inscribed. In the comments on the AGS certificate, it says "minor details of finish are not shown." I assume the 4Cs and specific measurements are enough to confirm the diamond's identity after it's set. The appraiser encourages inscription. I suppose that's convenient for us since we can just loupe the diamond to confirm it's still there.

If we do get it inscribed, we will only put the AGS certificate number on it and not a personal message (well, maybe "ce n'est pas un diamant" just for kicks).

OK. Why I'm posting:
Laser inscribing will disqualify us from future exchanges/returns, buybacks, and upgrades. I bought it from JA; I don't think that we would ever trade in and spend double to upgrade. But, I guess it's hard to predict.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: laser inscribing will exempt us from future buyback/upgr

Depends. If you send it back to AGS for inscription and an updated report, JA should still honor the trade up policy. That line is probably to guard against personalization inscription like ' I love so and so'. Also, inscription if done with the wrong equipment, can lower the clarity grade of the stone. Ask and confirm with JA.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

CedarRapids|1314807307|3006424 said:
I'm trying to decide if we should get our IF-graded, loose diamond laser inscribed. In the comments on the AGS certificate, it says "minor details of finish are not shown." I assume the 4Cs and specific measurements are enough to confirm the diamond's identity after it's set. The appraiser encourages inscription. I suppose that's convenient for us since we can just loupe the diamond to confirm it's still there.

If we do get it inscribed, we will only put the AGS certificate number on it and not a personal message (well, maybe "ce n'est pas un diamant" just for kicks).

OK. Why I'm posting:
Laser inscribing will disqualify us from future exchanges/returns, buybacks, and upgrades. I bought it from JA; I don't think that we would ever trade in and spend double to upgrade. But, I guess it's hard to predict.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
IF is different from F and the labs try to make some sort of notation on the cert about why they called it what they did. There's probably nothing on the plot so that's why that comment is there. It's very common on IF stones.

I'm not understanding why you want an inscription if you're worried about the tradein program. There are lots of clues to recognize the stone again in the future if needed but, if you want to get it rock solid and court approved, try www.gemprint.com... Unlike the inscription, it doesn't require altering the stone in any way.

In terms of the JA tradein policy, perhaps a workaround is available if THEY are the ones who get it inscribed and get the cert updated as part of the original purchase. Ask 'em.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1314808526|3006454 said:
IF is different from F and the labs try to make some sort of notation on the cert about why they called it what they did. There's probably nothing on the plot so that's why that comment is there. It's very common on IF stones.

I'm not understanding why you want an inscription if you're worried about the tradein program. There are lots of clues to recognize the stone again in the future if needed but, if you want to get it rock solid and court approved, try www.gemprint.com... Unlike the inscription, it doesn't require altering the stone in any way.

The appraiser was advising the inscription. It caused me to second guess my initial instinct to not get it. The trade-in program disqualification might veto inscription. Hearing that there are "lots of clues to recognize the stone again" (for an IF) is enough.

I hadn't heard of gem print - thanks for the tip.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

Stone-cold11|1314807773|3006439 said:
Depends. If you send it back to AGS for inscription and an updated report, JA should still honor the trade up policy. That line is probably to guard against personalization inscription like ' I love so and so'. Also, inscription if done with the wrong equipment, can lower the clarity grade of the stone. Ask and confirm with JA.

Hadn't really thought about sending it back to AGS. Thanks for that idea. Turnaround time might not fit my time line. I'll have to see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results