shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Drilling and Fracture Filling

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anudippal

Rough_Rock
Hi! Can anybody give me a few advantages and disadvantages of the treatments of laser drilling and fracture filling the diamonds other than just to enhance the clarity of the diamonds.
Thanks, anudippal.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Anu!
wavey.gif

You might want to use the search function for info in other threads on Clarity Enhancement. Here are a few pointers for you.

Advantages: Make an included diamond look nicer/more appealling. Lower price than comparable color and carat weight, untreated diamond. Ability to purchase a larger carat weight diamond for same budget.

Disadvantages: Compromised structural integrity. OK when set as pendants or earrings, but not good for a ring. Too great a risk of breakage. Must disclose enhancement anytime the piece is worked on. Cannot withstand steam heat, the jeweler's torch, and acid treatment. Enhancement will need to be repeated as the resins tend to discolor over time.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Anudippal;

Fracture filling hides feathers that reach the surface, making them clear. An I 2 diamond can become an SI 2... But it STILL is I 2. Basically the look is enhaced, but the stone is weaker than a natural SI 2. The subtance used to fill the feathers does not add weight. You can recognise a fracture filled diamond because of its 'flash' effct. Sometimes a stone is drilled to reach a prominent feather, shouldn't it reach the surface. The most important lab that grades fracture filled diamonds is EGL. I suggest you to have a look at yehuda.com, which is one of the most important enhacement companies.

Laser Drilling maked dark inclusions look clear. It's permanent and isn't reversible. It's more recognized than fracture filling and a stone with such treatment will be graded by almost all of the most important labs. Sometimes the drill is filled; in this case some labs won't grade them and such diamond should be considered drilled and filled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results