color
clarity

Laser drilled Tourmaline?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that diamonds are laser drilled to remove dark/opaque inclusions, and this may have been the case for the tourmaline.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's exactly why I don't understand why it would be used on a Tourmaline. Irradiation, yes. Fissure filling, yes. Why laser drilling - it doesn't make sense unless they're using the laser to drill into very opaque stones and to introduce a filler. :confused:

I wonder if the appraiser saw a copper needle and thought it was a sign of laser drilling? Surely not!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard a while ago about something called "dyefusion" which takes advantage of the growth tubes to introduce dye not unlike diffusion of other gems. Perhaps the laser allows access to the openings so that dye can be introduced? I was talking to BB about this because I was worried, and he said that dyefusion would only work if the gem had inclusions (which would likely be quite apparent to the naked eye) to introduce the dye into, so I'm confused :confused:

Does it say anything about the clarity?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's dificult to read the appraisal in the Ebay advert but I think it says SI.

Why I'm confused is that if you were to laser drill a Tourmaline, you would then have another hole and it would then need to be fissure filled. However the appraisal simply states that it's been clarity enhanced by laser drilling. So, either it's laser drilling and then fissure filling with a substance (dye/oil etc) or it's a copper needle that the appraiser has seen. These do look very straight and I suppose could be mistaken for a laser drill but that's really far fetched and I can't imagine an appraiser getting it that wrong! If the Tourmaline had been fissure filled surely you would have expected to see that on the appraisal????

I've done quite a bit of research and can't find why a laser on it's own would be of use to a Tourmaline.

BTW, this looks like quite an old ring - possibly over 5 years ago - so would they have used a laser on a Tourmaline then?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Don't tourmalines sometimes have needle inclusions? Am I missing something?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1312663559|2985559 said:
Don't tourmalines sometimes have needle inclusions? Am I missing something?

Yes - that's why it would be very very very odd to laser a tourmaline. Typically you expect to see inclusions in a Tourmaline (unlike a diamond where clarity is king). Irradiation and heating can improve clarity and the look of inclusions in a Tourmaline. I can't find a reference to laser drilling a tourmaline. Maybe a laser would be used to get to the inclusions and then they could be filled BUT that still doesn't make sense because heating/irradiation would probably do the same job without adding yet more holes to the stone. Also the report is clear that it states laser drilling NOT filling. I wonder what damage a laser would do a Tourmaline that isn't the hardiest of stones in any case!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm bumping in case any of our resident experts know the answer. In the meantime, I've also posted the question elsewhere so will let you know if I find out an answer!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard of oiling and resin filling but wonder if a tourmaline can handle laser drilling. I suppose the drilling is to get into the "heart" of the stone to fill the internal cracks with coloured resin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results