shape
carat
color
clarity

Largest Stones on PS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Bigger is Better! Initially my husband had planned to surprise me with a 7 1/2 carat ring I had mentioned I had seen at a dealer we have done business with in the Diamond District. I found out about his plans through a slip and called and cancelled the order because I thought the size was too big and the price astronomical. It was G,VS1 and very overpriced. I ruined the surprise.

My friends all told me that anything over 3 carats was obscene. I decided to be slightly obscene anyway and I found my 4.10 I SI2 stone on Pricescope through Whiteflash and we donated the money we saved to redo the Critical Care Unit waiting area of St. Vincent's Medical Center where they saved my husband's life two years ago. He completely recovered after friends who are doctors told us there was no hope. He had septic shock and his organs were failing. I felt there would be no reason to have this Anniversary gift if it had not been for the wonderful doctors there because there would have been no anniversary to celebrate.

I do not regret that we made the donation but I am beginning to think that these huge, gorgeous rings are not too big at all. Oh well. Maybe shrinkage is setting in. Or envy. I love my ring but maybe it is time for an upgrade. I do not know if I am serious. Just a thought after seeing that magnificent, huge ring on Madrock's finger. What some people call obscene I call GORGEOUS!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OMG Solange- you''re my hero. Talk about putting things in the right perspective.
I admire you for "sacrificing" on the upgrade and donating it to a wonderful cause.
You and your husband are lucky to have each other.

ps
Keep us informed on your quest for a shrinkage cure!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, Sevens. I am cured of the "shrinkage" problem. It was just such a shock to see Madrock's ring. Temporary insanity, I guess.

Actually, my message seems kind of shallow but it reflected my thoughts of the moment and I am now back to my senses.

As to sacrifices. these doctors worked day and night to save my husband. They are the ones who made the sacrifices. There is one thing all the money in the world could not buy us and that is good health for my husband and son.
I hope all is well with your family. You are in my thoughts.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, solange, what a touching story. Your ring is stunning and you have your husband to enjoy it with you. That's the best gift of all.

Madrock, where have you been hiding that gorgeous creation?! It is absolutely stunning. I think it may be one of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen! Wow, I don't think I have enough words to describe my feelings for it! More pictures please!!! Congratulations!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Let's be honest--I would LOVE a ring like madrock's. It is what dreams are made of. I'd wear it proudly everyday.
9.gif
But, I'd also need a 2 million dollar house and Mercedes convertible to go with it. I think to a point, if you walk aorund with a ring that supercedes your general lifestyle, you look foolish.

Solange, your generosity is impressive. And I am sure your gorgeous ring is even more special becasue of what it represents. From context clues it sounds like you are very successful and blessed financially, so a 10 ct ring on you would work!
1.gif
If I had to guess, I would bet madrock has the lifestyle to "support" such a magnificent jewel as well.

If I suddenly had $250,000 (arbitrary number-I have no idea what a 10 ct stone might cost), I'd have to pay off my mortgage, pay off my husband's law school loans, buy a vacation home, invest for retirement, help out my family a bit--a number of "practical things" before getting a huge diamond. While not the same thing, it reminds me of people who drive a $60,000 Lexus and live in a one bedroom apartrment in a depressed area--shoudn't you get a decent place to live first and maybe drive a used Honda? I think most of us would look ridiculous with anything bigger than 3 cts becasue we just don't have the circumstances to support it. Part of me thinks I had a lot of nerve getting my 3 ct stone!
6.gif
Just my .02.
1.gif

ETA: There is a scene at the end of Schindler's list where he looks at his wedding ring (I think) and asks, "How may lives would this have saved???" Soetimes I look at my jewelry and feel ashamed--how many dogs could I have helped by donating that money? How many might have survived the shelters if I had give more? I obviously get over it (usually after writing out some checks
2.gif
) but the thought creeps in.

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
Solange, I''m so inspired by your story. How wonderful to know that your generosity and kindness will continue to help others in the years to come. I think your ring is all the more special because of what it stands for and the meaning behind it. You and your husband are truly blessed.

Madrock, your ring is beautiful and exquisite! You are one lucky gal to own such a gorgeous rock!

Jennifer, your post reflects my thoughts to a ''T''! I remember as a little girl when my parents would take my sister, brothers and me on our annual camping trips in the mountains. We would often pass through these tiny run down little towns and I can''t tell you how many times we''d see expensive fancy cars parked outside of a trailer that looked to be on its last legs. I often wondered why someone would spend so much on a car but not on their home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madrock
WOW!!!
6.gif
23.gif
what a ring. beautiful and gigantic.
36.gif
36.gif
i guess this is one of those boulders that K-mom was talking about.
9.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
wow
6.gif
madrock!!!!
36.gif
it''s so-----------------big!!!!
36.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer, I am COMPLETELY with you!! So many times when I''m on whiteflash contemplating my upgrade ( to a measly 1.35 cts.
9.gif
) I think "what am I doing?! This money could go to so many other places!" and I get a little bummed out. I start to feel superficial. My husband and I are trying to save money to adopt a baby in a few years, and here I am trying to buy a new diamond when the one I have now is perfectly fine! You''re right in saying that the ring has to suit the lifestyle. If one of my friends who didn''t have too much money suddenly got engaged and was sporting a 7+ carat diamond, I would probably look at her in horror (after I drooled, of course!) and ask what the heck she was thinking! Personally, I don''t think I could have anything bigger than 3 carats, but thats just me!
1.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2005 12:43:19 PM
Author: solange
Bigger is Better! Initially my husband had planned to surprise me with a 7 1/2 carat ring I had mentioned I had seen at a dealer we have done business with in the Diamond District. I found out about his plans through a slip and called and cancelled the order because I thought the size was too big and the price astronomical. It was G,VS1 and very overpriced. I ruined the surprise.

My friends all told me that anything over 3 carats was obscene. I decided to be slightly obscene anyway and I found my 4.10 I SI2 stone on Pricescope through Whiteflash and we donated the money we saved to redo the Critical Care Unit waiting area of St. Vincent''s Medical Center where they saved my husband''s life two years ago. He completely recovered after friends who are doctors told us there was no hope. He had septic shock and his organs were failing. I felt there would be no reason to have this Anniversary gift if it had not been for the wonderful doctors there because there would have been no anniversary to celebrate.

I do not regret that we made the donation but I am beginning to think that these huge, gorgeous rings are not too big at all. Oh well. Maybe shrinkage is setting in. Or envy. I love my ring but maybe it is time for an upgrade. I do not know if I am serious. Just a thought after seeing that magnificent, huge ring on Madrock''s finger. What some people call obscene I call GORGEOUS!
solange

I am proud of you and your husband
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am happy to hear that your husband completely recovered.

{{{{{{{{{solange}}}}}}}}}

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2005 10:49:09 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
madrock
WOW!!!
6.gif
23.gif
what a ring. beautiful and gigantic.
36.gif
36.gif
i guess this is one of those boulders that K-mom was talking about.
9.gif
DF, you betcha! I just posted my comment about it in the wrong thread, not realizing it actually belonged here so I''ll say it again, that''s ONE HECKOFABOULDER!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Madrock: wowowowowowowo....amazing...i would love to see more shots/angles of that ring!

solange: what a beautiful story and a wonderful thing to do!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here is madrock''s unmounted stone
30.gif
10.28ct1.jpg

10.28ct2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 10:12:53 AM
Author: madrock

The stone and custom-designed setting were both purchased from Arthur Groom Jewlers in Ridgewood, NJ (where we also purchased my original e-ring 20 years ago!)
Wow! You sure do have wonderful hands and arms to hold that beautiful gem! I''d think you were 20!!! Gorgeous!! More pics!!

FD21Bride

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 1:39:03 PM
Author: Matatora

Date: 7/4/2005 8:34:49 AM
Author: madrock
Another
I could have sworn I had seent this picture before....have you posted it here before? I did not find a thread.
Matatora.... I''m with ya on that one... I too have seen this ring before. Either that or we were both hallucinating at the same time
19.gif
. Didn''t I remember her saying she traded it in or something for a 7+ carat EC or am I thinking of someone else?

FD21Bride

Shiny_Rock
Yep... I don''t know how to paste a link so I copied and pasted a quote from Madrock after I did a search for EC ( I think the title is My 7.32 EC) or somthing like that.....

Here''s the handshot -- sorry it''s not so clear. I am still waiting for the rest of the specs and the photos from the jeweler. This is actually a size downgrade, but a big upgrade in color. It is so incredibly icy white. The 10+ oval (which was NOT so icy white) was traded in. This one is much more manageable!

Still don''t know why she got rid of that puppy!
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2006 9:27:40 AM
Author: FD21Bride

Yep... I don''t know how to paste a link so I copied and pasted a quote from Madrock after I did a search for EC ( I think the title is My 7.32 EC) or somthing like that.....

Here''s the handshot -- sorry it''s not so clear. I am still waiting for the rest of the specs and the photos from the jeweler. This is actually a size downgrade, but a big upgrade in color. It is so incredibly icy white. The 10+ oval (which was NOT so icy white) was traded in. This one is much more manageable!

Still don''t know why she got rid of that puppy!
30.gif

You copy and paste a link just like you did the quote. Just highlight the link in the address line, press Control-c and then go to your reply page and press Control-v to paste.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results