shape
carat
color
clarity

Largest lab grown white diamond to date?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I haven't really gone through all the sites that carry lab grown diamonds, but from the couple that I've browsed through, there seems to be nothing above a 3ct.
Is there a limitation on how large of a diamond can be created with current technology? If so, when can we expect larger diamonds in the >3ct range?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I know Brilliant Earth isn't recommended (and rightfully so) but they even have 6 carats.

But it's true just a few years ago 2 carats was the highest for normal inventory (there were some 5 carat progidys grown but only very few). But now there are always 5 carats in stock on some website.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I must have missed it, why isn't Brilliant Earth recommended?

I'm so sorry but I don't have the link to the thread. But there customer service was terrible to several PSers and they were using fishy tactics to keep and sale which even included lying. In the end thwy only refunded the customer after several other PSers built pressure up.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA has reported on a 5ct colourless here this year:

but that was a few months ago now, and the industry must surely have moved on!

They did mention a 5ct Light Blue in 2016:

A 15ct HPHT stone:

5ct CVD:

10ct Blue HPHT:

@Rhino might be able to advise on what the market is looking like - he has quite a few large stones, including a 10ct! (although that one's not eye-clean, boooo):

Last edited:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
there's a 4.2 ct MRB at Diamond Foundry today

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Technically, the largest white diamond that I am aware of was 92mm in diameter and 155 carats, grown by a university in Germany.

That being said, the project has nothing to do with gemstones, but instead is looking to grow very large wafers of diamonds for a variety of scientific purposes, including nuclear fusion.

Alternatively, you could say that the diamond rings grown by DD Diamonds and Diamond Foundry are the largest to date; however both were grown via mosaic diamond growth AFAIK.

In terms of gemstones, the largest that I am aware of is the 15 carat stone that others have mentioned. It was not grown in one single growth cycle.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically, the largest white diamond that I am aware of was 92mm in diameter and 155 carats, grown by a university in Germany.

That being said, the project has nothing to do with gemstones, but instead is looking to grow very large wafers of diamonds for a variety of scientific purposes, including nuclear fusion.

Alternatively, you could say that the diamond rings grown by DD Diamonds and Diamond Foundry are the largest to date; however both were grown via mosaic diamond growth AFAIK.

In terms of gemstones, the largest that I am aware of is the 15 carat stone that others have mentioned. It was not grown in one single growth cycle.

I guess that whether you have a diamond wafer or a 10ct rough, either is a starting seed??

It's interesting that diamonds could be used in nuclear fusion, I wasn't aware that was a potential use. John Pollard has previously mentioned / shown some offerings in the market that are ultra-low nitrogen and look almost blue compared to a standard D colour, so I guess this sort of thing would be a potential use for them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results