shape
carat
color
clarity

Larger ring sizes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wapila1

Rough_Rock
Why is it that I've never, ever been to a jeweler with any rings in anything over a size 7 to try on? I'm 5'9" tall, wear a size 10 shoe, and take a size 8 ring on my left ring finger. (I'm a lefty too, so my left ring finger is actually slightly larger than my right.) My fingers aren't even pudgy - my hands are just big - so losing a few pounds isn't going to do much of anything.

I see all these posts on PS encouraging people to try on a number of e-ring settings or wedding ring styles before purchasing. Well, I have never been able to try on a ring at any jewelry store and it is no fun at all! LOL. I get that jewelers probably want to carry sample pieces that can readily be sized or sold eventually, but do any stores ever carry such rings in larger sizes? Or am I the only one with this issue?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
definitely not the only one with this problem!

i''m a size 8 too, and i think i ONCE tried on a ring that fitted in Tiffany. i had to restrain myself from buying it out of sheer excitement!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m an 8 too - and this is why I love estate/vintage jewelry. Sometimes you find something that''s actually your size!

But the answer to your question is no...there''s pretty much never something in stock in an 8. Everything I''ve ever purchased was tried on above my knuckle or on a pinky.
7.gif

However, now that I''ve been wearing a ring on my hand for a few years, I''ve noticed that my finger has "shrunk" where my rings are (my fingers ARE pudgy) and now I can slip on a 7. It''s made shopping just a touch more fun, honestly.

wapila1

Rough_Rock
Well, at least I know I''m not the only one!
2.gif
Especially with a wedding ring, it''s a shame to have to make a purchase based on how things look on your pinky. I''d be much more inclined to purchase from a vendor whose rings I could actually try on!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
You are definitely not alone! It drives me crazy too.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
can you try on your right hand, seeing as you''re a lefty?
I know that my RH is a full size larger than my left, so perhaps your right will be a 7?
Sorry if this is stupid and you''ve already tried it, lol..

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Where are you all finding size 7? I haven''t found much of anything over 6 1/4, unless it is a vintage piece.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I have the opposite problem (size 4 fingers), but I find it equally as frustrating. Size 4 is a special order in most stores I''ve been to, and though I can get a ring on, it looks very different than it would look like if it were my size, and I have to hold it on so it doesn''t fall off! That is why I really prefer online shopping, I don''t have to even think about it! Good luck, and I''m sorry you feel frustrated--at least you aren''t alone!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m an 8 too and I know how frustrating it can be. When I was picking my ering I had to try it on my other fingers to get an idea of what it would look like. It''s definitely annoying!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* raises undainty hand* 8.5 reporting for duty.
8.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I actually had a saleswoman squish my pudgy fingers and say something to me like, "Of course we don''t carry your size (9) in the store!" with the air of disgust, like she''d be horrified if everyone had fingers like mine. Rude biznatch!

So yes, it''s a problem I have had too. Usually I wear stuff on my pinky, but it''s not as good.

wapila1

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 2:56:53 AM
Author: soycoffee
I have the opposite problem (size 4 fingers), but I find it equally as frustrating. Size 4 is a special order in most stores I''ve been to, and though I can get a ring on, it looks very different than it would look like if it were my size, and I have to hold it on so it doesn''t fall off! That is why I really prefer online shopping, I don''t have to even think about it! Good luck, and I''m sorry you feel frustrated--at least you aren''t alone!
I understand what you''re saying, but at least you can get the ring on your finger. I''d be thrilled to find something I could put on, even if it was too big!

wapila1

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 2:54:48 AM
Author: reader
Where are you all finding size 7? I haven''t found much of anything over 6 1/4, unless it is a vintage piece.
Bailey, Banks, & Biddle had some in size 7, which I can almost force on my right ring finger sometimes, though I don''t like doing that with a ring that doesn''t belong to me. That finger is probably more like a 7.5.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 2:54:48 AM
Author: reader

Most chain stores seem to stock sizes 6-7. I''m lucky, I wear a size 7, a bit larger when it''s in hot jewellery store lighting, but can usually make it work.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 5:39:20 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Yeah, I actually had a saleswoman squish my pudgy fingers and say something to me like, ''Of course we don''t carry your size (9) in the store!'' with the air of disgust, like she''d be horrified if everyone had fingers like mine. Rude biznatch!

So yes, it''s a problem I have had too. Usually I wear stuff on my pinky, but it''s not as good.

No way-what a wagon! I always have to try stuff on my pinky too. It''s hard to get an idea of things when you do that.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 2:56:53 AM
Author: soycoffee
This is more of a problem than you might expect. (3.5 here.) You really can''t get a sense of what the ring would actually look like on your hand when it''s too large, either. Think of what a dress would look like if it were three sizes too large- it''s pretty tough to figure out what it would look like when fitted.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 7.75 on one hand and a 8.25 on the right. My poor little pinky gets to model any try on''s. My lucky friend wears a 7 and gets to buy "off the rack". She never has to go home empty handed and wait for the sizing!

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yeah, I actually had a saleswoman squish my pudgy fingers and say something to me like, ''Of course we don''t carry your size (9) in the store!'' with the air of disgust, like she''d be horrified if everyone had fingers like mine. Rude biznatch!

Still laughing at "rude biznatch"!!!

Seriously, what is it with these rude store people?? I don''t care what size ring I wear -- my money is still the PERFECT size to fit in your cash register so you can kill the attitude, lady!

[Sorry, got a little OT there...]

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear a size 7 - 7.25 and most of the time rings don't fit or they fit, but I am scared they will get stuck, so I don't force it. It can be frustrating and not all "big" people are the ones that have big hands. I can wear a size 6 dress, but can't wear a size 6 on my hand!

I have found that most big chain stores usually never fit, but I have had luck at a local jeweler, Firenze Jewels, who is also online as well.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 7:22:39 PM
Author: bee*

No way-what a wagon! I always have to try stuff on my pinky too. It''s hard to get an idea of things when you do that.

a wagon? a WAGON??

rofl @ bee!!!

(that''s a new one on me!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 2:58:44 AM
Author: whitby_2773

Yeah, I actually had a saleswoman squish my pudgy fingers and say something to me like, 'Of course we don't carry your size (9) in the store!' with the air of disgust, like she'd be horrified if everyone had fingers like mine. Rude biznatch!

So yes, it's a problem I have had too. Usually I wear stuff on my pinky, but it's not as good.

No way-what a wagon! I always have to try stuff on my pinky too. It's hard to get an idea of things when you do that.

a wagon? a WAGON??

rofl @ bee!!!

(that's a new one on me!)
Its an Irish saying! Most descriptive and one I have taken to using.
3.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have the opposite problem. I am a size 3 and nothing ever fits. The problem is that most of them don''t even come that small and I love pave and can''t size it down. I always end up having to go the custom route.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
I am completely with you on this. I am an 8 also and it''s very hard to really tell what something''s going to look like when you can''t actually properly put it on. Again the only place I''ve had complete success was at Tiffany''s because they seemed to have many rings in several sizes which was just lovely
emwink.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I began my career back in 1967 the stock size for rings in stores was 6 and occasionally 6.5. With people getting larger and taller today, the major stores now regularly specify size 7 and in some markets specify 7.5 and even 8 for certain locations. It really would be great to come up with some way to make samples for trying on that would have some wide range of adjustability for just looking at how the top of the ring went with your hand and fingers. It is something which could be done, but few places are willing to make the added cost investment of creation of samples which can't be ever be sold in precious metals... If you could only try on rings like you can try on dresses which potentially fit you, it would be a wonderful thing. It would make shopping more enjoyable and there would be more sales....Maybe the big wigs are listening in.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m a 7.5 on my left hand and an sz 8 on my right hand. Recently I had an eternity ring made. I had to go to a local jewelry store to try rings on. WELL nothing would fit but I had to see how these bands would look with my e-ring...so I just tried them on my pinky. I know it''s not the same but I got the idea.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:28:07 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/20/2009 2:58:44 AM

Author: whitby_2773

a wagon? a WAGON??

rofl @ bee!!!

(that''s a new one on me!)

Its an Irish saying! Most descriptive and one I have taken to using.
3.gif

Yep, it''s one of my favourite insults and it''s always so appropriate! Do you use it in the UK as well Lorelei or is it just us?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results