shape
carat
color
clarity

Large table or Small table

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krisb

Rough_Rock
I am ccurrently looking at 2 diamonds from 2 different sellers. Both are GIA certified and both are from B&M's. Which is the better value.1. Round Brilliant, 1.71 carat, 7.59-7.68 x 4.76 mm, Depth 62.3, Table 58, Girdle Thine to thick, faceted, Culet None, Finish, GOOD GOOD, VS2, Color G, Fluor=None2. Round Brilliant, 1.76 carat, 7.72-7.88 x 4.68mm, Depth 60.0, Table 62, Girdle Thin to Thick, faceted, Culet NONE, Finish GOOD GOOD, VS1, Color H, Flur=NoneWhat do you think

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Krisb hi,There is not enough info to tell which one is better. You need crown and pavilion angles to say which one is better.Generally 58% table is better than 62% but combination of crown and pavilion angles is more important factor for diamond beauty and you can get a nicer stone with larger table.The first stone has good depth thus there is still a good chance to have a nice diamond.Ask your vendor to provide you with Sarin or Ogi report.Which one do you like more yourself? Do you consider to get independent expert opinion?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Krisb,
You are right – the cut is very important since it determines the look of your diamond. If you haven’t seen our tutorial, I’m highly recommend to do that (especially the cut related issues): www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp.
You are right about 62% table. However if crown and pavilion angles are not right, diamond with 58% table won’t look good either (e.g. see www.pricescope.com/tutor_60.asp )
There is no single generally accepted definition of the ideal cut. There is 80 years old Tolkowsky cut. There are different cut grading system such as AGS and AGA.
Diamonds that match AGS ideal grade cost higher. At the same time modern researches and many experts agreed that AGS ideal is too broad while beautiful diamonds can be found outside AGS ideal range and will cost less.
GIA abandoned term "ideal cut" after they found out that different combination of crown and pavilion angles can produce beautiful diamond.
You can find more of advanced cut related info here: www.diamond-cut.com.au , www.cutstudy.com/cut , http://www.goodoldgold.com/cut.htm .
Garry Holloway introduced new cut grading system that evaluate beauty of the diamond based on its brilliance, fire, scintillation and spread (see tutorial). This system is used in the Holloway Cut Adviser that helps predicting the look of your diamond based on table, depth, and crown and pavilion angles.
GIA report doesn’t show crown and pavilion angles. That is why you need to get additional Sarin or Ogi measurements.
It will apply to the diamonds of your carat weight range as well.

As for the price, in the Internet you can expect $14k-15k for the stone similar to #1 and $12.5k-13k for #2. In B&M store you could be asked 10%-30% more.

krisb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the fast response. What would you expect to pay for something of this quality. Also would you stay away from something with a table of 62, even though it looks great! From what eveybody is telling me, I should really concentrate on the cut. What are the ideal specs/cut for a round brilliant in the 1.75 to 1.90 carat range? Any help on this would be greatly apprecitaed.
Thanks again
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by leonid:
Krisb hi,There is not enough info to tell which one is better. You need crown and pavilion angles to say which one is better.Generally 58% table is better than 62% but combination of crown and pavilion angles is more important factor for diamond beauty and you can get a nicer stone with larger table.The first stone has good depth thus there is still a good chance to have a nice diamond.Ask your vendor to provide you with Sarin or Ogi report.Which one do you like more yourself? Do you consider to get independent expert opinion?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to give us crown and pavilion angles if we are to play with you.
We would like to help, and from you comments thus far you need it, a little knowledge .....
Garry

krisb

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the response. One last request! I'm down to my final decions, I found another diamond that I really like this past weekend. Here are the specs.Round Brilliant, 1.81 carat, 61.4 depth, 59% table, Girdle - Medium faceted, Culet None, Poish Good, Symmetry Very Good, Clarity VS2, Color Grade G, Fluorescence - None, Comments - Additional clouds are not shown.This diamond is beatuiful. It's Certified GIA, and it's an AGS cut 0. The only problem is that it is a little more pricey than the other two I told you about. What is the market price on a ring like this? Once again, thank you SO much for all you help and advice. I think the purchase is near!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Krisb,I’m afraid this stone cannot be called AGS0 since AGS0 maximum table is 57.5%. Besides, you still should know crown and pavilion angles to say whether it is AGS0 or not. Do you have Sarin report for the stone?I don’t want to say it cannot be beautiful. There is just not enough data for evaluation.As for the price, 1.81-G-VS2-61.4- 59-GIA-mf-no-vg-gd-no-7.85*7.81*4.81 diamond listed in the web for about $14K.Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results