shape
carat
color
clarity

Large, Round, White Freshwater Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a truly gorgeous pearl bracelet on a site called "Lady of the Lake". That made me research the price of similar items. The pearl bracelet listed was made of Grade AAA white, round, freshwater, cultured pearls between 9.5 and 10 mm. I believe it was knotted (silk) between the pearls. It was also (imo) pricey.

I looked around for similar bracelets and for 16" pearl strands and earrings. Some places (like Midwest Gems) were hard to search for strands of pearls. (Ice, shame on you!!!) Others appeared to have only smaller or lower grade pearls.

What is the best source for really good, reliable, freshwater pearl jewelry?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Leonid fixed the problem, there should be a picture of the bracelet here. If not, *I* am probably the problem and will have to learn to do something different to post pictures :).

14kbgiantp2.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, I don't know if you visit that other forum now but there is a very long thread started on there about pearls by poster Itbit showing her collection and other posters have posted theirs also. There seems to be some expensive jewellery on that thread. I really enjoyed reading and looking at the photos. There is another thread which I believe Itbit started also with Southwestern Silver showing some nice pieces and speaking about how one should not clean the silver but leave it to tarnish.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 5/7/2003 4:36
6.gif
9 PM pyramid wrote:

"AGBF, I don't know if you visit that other forum now"

Nope. Only if someone tells me of something truly juicy :). If I can't pass it up, I pop in then right out again.

"but there is a very long thread started on there about pearls by poster Itbit showing her collection and other posters have posted theirs also."

I felt like saying, "I'm sorry to hear that", but that was just my first impulse :). What is written there really doesn't affect me either way (unless it affords entertainment value due to its absurdity, of course!).

I don't need that forum as a place to read for information. I have acquired many books on gemstones and pearls in which I can get better information than I can on Diamond Talk. (Uh...especially since the only ones now offering advice there are *consumers*, many with less knowledge than I have!!!)

What I crave is a place where *I* can discuss jewelry and gemstones in a friendly atmosphere.

I own quite a few strands of pearls now, myself. (Some are my daughter's and some are mine). I also bought her a vintage cultured pearl ring on ebay that is unique and exquisite. And we both have pairs of pearl stud earrings.

What I *DON'T* have is a pearl bracelet. I have simple, classic taste in jewelry and I just couldn't see a pearl bracelet as working with an outfit. My pearls are all under 9mm (understated). A pearl bracelet of that size on me would look silly...too "jeune fille". I feel even on my daughter a simple gold one would look better if she "needs" to wear a bracelet at all.

This bracelet (above) with larger pearls, is the first one I saw that looks as if an adult might wear it! It made me consider taking the step of buying (possibly too ostentatious for my taste) 9.5-10 mm pearls.

Also: freshwater pearls are new to me. Mercier gave me a lovely strand and I bought one (round pearls, apricot color), but all my other pearls are saltwater cultured; round; and either white, cream, or very pale pink...in other words: classic :).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While searching for round, white, freshwater pearls in a 9.5-10mm size I found some information written by Garry Holloway. I hadn't known he was interested in pearls :).

Aprile

Rough_Rock
Great thread AGBF! I have recently developed an interest in pearls but confess I am a novice. I saw a lovely pearl necklace w/a gemstone enhancer that was absolutely gorgeous. I "believe" an enhancer would be best on pearls of at least 10mm. I am going to check out the Lady of the Lake site. Any other recommendations as to where I can begin to research & look? I would love to share thoughts/ideas.

Aprile

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Aprile-

I have been interested in pearls for a while and cannot remember where I started. I *do* recommend a beautiful book, "Cultured Pearls: The First Hundred Years" by Andy Miller, though. It's more a beautiful story book than a highly specialized buying guide. The other information (the technical) is available on the 'net, though. I am sure we can get some of the pearl lovers among the vendors who post here to pipe up with what they know.

I was sure I wanted to stick with Akoya pearls, the saltwater pearls cultivated in oysters a la Mikimoto. I liked the round pearls as opposed to what were (to me) the bizarre shaped freshwater pearls.

Freshwater pearls, unlike Akoya (saltwater) pearls, are all nacre, however! Although they, like Akoya pearls, are organic and need far more care than a diamond, one doesn't have to worry about the *thickness* of the nacre. Now that China is producing round and "semi-round" or "almost round"
freshwater pearls, I find myself *very* interested.

One gets a "better" pearl (in the sense of depth of nacre) for a fraction of the price.

I have modest looking Akoya pearls for conservative occasions, but would like some larger (9.5-10mm) round, freshwater pearls to wear when I am doing something other than tea at the White House ;-).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been trying to reach mercier to see if he would like to sell me a set of freshwater pearl jewelry. I adore him and have wanted to be able to give him some business for eons. If I cannot get what I want through him I am considering Galligent and Lady of the Lake. I will post some links for anyone who wants to go look.

Lady of the Lake:

http://www.lady-of-the-lake.com/pearl-buying-information.html

Galligent:

http://www.galligentstudios.com/html/Saltwater&Freshwater.htm

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a link to more information about pearls (June's birthstone and de rigeur for brides!):

http://www.gemsociety.org/info/gems/pearl1.htm

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF, I love that pearl bracelet. The clasp is very unique. I'm trying to convince my husband that I need to expand my pearl collection.
9.gif
So far he hasn't bought into it.
8.gif
I'll keep trying.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you find the trick to convincing one's husband, do share it here! Unless, of course, it is X-rated ;-). (I go the "buy my own" route.)

read.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/25/2003 1:59
6.gif
7 PM AGBF wrote:

If you find the trick to convincing one's husband, do share it here! Unless, of course, it is X-rated ;-). (I go the "buy my own" route.)

read.gif

----------------

6.gif
X-rated--Ack! LOL! I'd buy my own too, but there's one slight problem....I am a SAHM, which makes me sort of dependent right now...
cry.gif
During the school year when I do some sub teaching I have a little more freedom.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok... if 10mm are bold, what do you do with the 12 to 15 ones? This should be silly, but americanpearl.com have recently opened a line of freshwater which are top of the line. It is not easy to find good quality pearls, I feel, and Chinese at the very least since most high end production does not get to further away from the source. However, if you like pearls, going down the market chain is worth wile. The next site is really what it claims (a clumsy interface for a top supplier with bottom prices for the absolute best):
http://www21.inetba.com/aapearlsgemsinc/productCat0.ivnu

It was very hard to actually check on these guys since their clients are quite high end and opaque. But this is it! They also have loose pearls (meaning temporarily strung strands, which you can buy and turn into a bracelet, a set or whatever). There are no better pearls and to get these reatil, it will cost a few times more. They have freshwater too.

My speciality? Natural (fished, not cultured) saltwater pearls. I am sure you know what they are... So, for me, the name of the game is Suna keshi and so forth. For when you do step out of the White House environment, blue New Zeeland pearls are the newest fad. How they actually look? A good crossing between a black opal with blue flash and a pearl. Take a chance!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like pearls too and I''m thinking of getting some. They''re my birth stone.
Does anyone know when pearl treatments become popular ( dying bleaching etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results