shape
carat
color
clarity

large pearls for my wife

mattn

Rough_Rock
Hello, looking to pick up a pearl necklace for my wife who's in her 50's. Wanting a large set. Are 15mm+ in 18" length common for this arrangement? tx

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
South Sea pearls could be that large but in that size, nice quality ones would be quite pricey.

There are also nucleated freshwater pearls now that could be that large and which also cost less than the South Sea pearls. The older freshwater pearls were most often off-round because they did not have a bead inserted for the mussel to deposit nacre around but were pure nacre instead. But in recent years, the technology has advanced and they can insert the beads in freshwater mussels and produce large, round pearls from them, too.

Pearl Paradise is one large, trustworthy online business. I don't work for them in any way but have just bought several pieces from them through the years. There are also other good companies you can try. There's a sticky with approved vendors somewhere at the top of this section.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, do you want white, round pearls or something different?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucky wife :appl:
have you thought about the length of the necklase ?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here's a 15mm white South Sea pearl strand from Pearl Paradise.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I looked around but don't see any nucleated freshwater pearls that large right now but you could ask the pearl vendors listed above. They usually have more than just what's listed on their site or could find it for you or at least tell you the differences in appearance and cost. Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
South Sea pearls definitely grow to that size. Baroque as in irregular shaped pearls are more affordable and IMHO can be more interesting than round ones.

There are other types of pearls like flame balls or soufflé cultured freshwater pearls to consider.

More information would be needed, such as budget, colour and look that you are after so that we could help you.

DK :))

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
15mm plus is a very large necklace. South Sea are easy to find in large sizes but in good quality they are very expensive. Freshwater will be a more affordable option, but again they would not be inexpensive in that size... certainly less that South Sea or Tahitian. Do a search for large pearls .

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Humdinger large pearls! A real Marge Simpson look! With a necklace made of pearls that big (probably you're looking for something in the 12-15mm graduated range) you will need to think carefully about length too. A necklace which has been made from one temporary strand will be a choker in wear and not optimal - it will make the neck look very short, even if it does not half strangle!
Better to consider something which sits on or below the collar bone.
As to size, dk168 is quite right, baroque or drop shape Tahitian or south sea pearls will be considerably cheaper. A necklace which is 12-15mm graduated and around 50cm long made with top quality round pearls would require its own security guard.
You could narrow your search by firstly considering what colour your wife loves most and confine your options to variations on pearls of that colour.
With a purchase of this calibre consider buying earrings at the same time. Matching later can be problematic.
Be wary of such websites as eBay.
Is this to be a surprise or a joint selection?

mattn

Rough_Rock
Hello, thanks for the all the answers. I will look at PP. I know the large pearls can be costly so budget is around 25-30k. Am actually debating btwn the pearls and the Van Cleefs 20 motif Alhambra. She already has the bracelet that she loves. btw and trusted sellers in nyc that people like? As someone said, it would be great to try it on first.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, thanks for the all the answers. I will look at PP. I know the large pearls can be costly so budget is around 25-30k. Am actually debating btwn the pearls and the Van Cleefs 20 motif Alhambra. She already has the bracelet that she loves. btw and trusted sellers in nyc that people like? As someone said, it would be great to try it on first.

I love pearls but to me they are organic material that may or may not last a lifetime! If there‘s a choice, go for the VCA, timelessly classic, imho. You could always buy her a cheaper pearl strand as well, maybe high quality freshwaters in a large size.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, if she already has and loves her VCA bracelet, then the necklace will be a safer bet IMHO.

15mm+ pearls are big, and not everyone can carry it. Have a Google for pics of ex-First Lady Barbara Bush and actress Dame Olivia de Havilland who recently died - they were famous for being lovers of big pearl necklaces.

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a statement of - well, something - that $25-30k USD will buy decent (but not top-quality) WSS pearls of this size.

This proposed necklace and a VCA 20-motif are very different styles - the only thing they have in common, really, is that parts come from oysters! A necklace of 15mm pearls is, as others have said, a very bold piece - we’re talking unabashed Wilma Flinstone territory here. I think all women would have strong feelings - some would love it, some would hate it. Personally, if she doesn’t already wear extremely large statement pieces like this, I too would choose the VCA without question... That choice has the additional perk of going to the NYC flagship to try pieces on ::)

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Frankly I think a slightly graduated necklace of 12-15+ might be a more comfortable option. First of all you don't have giant pearls at the back of the neck and over the shoulders , it also reduces the cost and allows for a higher quality. If you want South Sea then I can only recommend proper Australian pearls purchased from Australian farms. Half the sellers out there claim Australian but they are mostly less expensive Indonesian. With the dollar difference you are adding 25-30% to your purchasing power and guaranteed pearls that are totally untreated. I know when I go there to buy I am always impressed by the commitment to quality... the showroom pieces are stunning.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree. Go direct to an australian pearl company. As a trade poster I cannot mention names but some net research will give you the names of a couple of companies, or find an aussie-based pearl broker who would be your 'eyes'.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a statement of - well, something - that $25-30k USD will buy decent (but not top-quality) WSS pearls of this size.

This proposed necklace and a VCA 20-motif are very different styles - the only thing they have in common, really, is that parts come from oysters! A necklace of 15mm pearls is, as others have said, a very bold piece - we’re talking unabashed Wilma Flinstone territory here. I think all women would have strong feelings - some would love it, some would hate it. Personally, if she doesn’t already wear extremely large statement pieces like this, I too would choose the VCA without question... That choice has the additional perk of going to the NYC flagship to try pieces on ::)

You are getting excellent advice from @yssie , as always, @mattn !

I'd also encourage you to talk to your wife or do some serious investigation...

I love LOVE pearls and a13-15mm Wilma Flintstone necklace is a dream piece for me.

That said, my DH bought me a top quality (and $$$$) Tahitian necklace for the birth of my son and while I appreciate all the thought and effort that went into the gift, it's just not something I wear much , because babies constantly grab at big necklaces. He was hesitant between that and a tennis bracelet. Me wearing his gifts was one consideration for him. Had he asked me I'd have told him.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that's a huge pearl size and potentially quite heavy so check she is comfortable wearing that size (ie. try some on) before purchasing anything. I recommend Paspaley for WSS but of course I'm sure there are other less expensive Aussie vendors too.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Other vendors are able to source Paspaley. There are also other Australian White South Sea farmers/suppliers and others also able to supply them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results