shape
carat
color
clarity

Large old cushion cut-how would you set it?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't show you the diamond yet, but I'm putting this out there for ideas please. No back story for now until I have it in my possession. How would you set a large cushion cut c1 color diamond? It's 9.4 carats.

Thanks for any and every idea that comes along....Ive created for many other sized pieces but nothing this large.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Aww I am so very excited for you! What a massive rock! At that size, you don't need any friills. What styles are you drawn to? I think I saw a nice 5ct OMC that was on here not long ago - it was a solitaire with a split shank that looked fab.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowza, a 9+ ct antique cushion.
woot woot! Congrats to you!
You looking for ring suggestions?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Aww I am so very excited for you! What a massive rock! At that size, you don't need any friills. What styles are you drawn to? I think I saw a nice 5ct OMC that was on here not long ago - it was a solitaire with a split shank that looked fab.

Exactly, there is nothing else needed on that setting. The stone has a warm antique feeling. It's classified as a champagne with the lightest color on the scale. I'll take pictures when I get it but it's going to be massive. I would not want it recut, I'll wear it as is. I should change my name to ellie clampet. Claw prongs are completely dependent on the goldsmith and if they know how to do them properly.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yowza, a 9+ ct antique cushion.
woot woot! Congrats to you!
You looking for ring suggestions?

Yes absolutely every and any suggestion I can get.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without seeing your stone
I immediately think of a VC simple and clean and tailored but impeccably done fine tiny bezel, like his (bright ice’s) ‘Pauline’ for a stone that size.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly, there is nothing else needed on that setting. The stone has a warm antique feeling. It's classified as a champagne with the lightest color on the scale. I'll take pictures when I get it but it's going to be massive. I would not want it recut, I'll wear it as is. I should change my name to ellie clampet. Claw prongs are completely dependent on the goldsmith and if they know how to do them properly.

For claws - I have read on here about Erika Winters having really nice delicate looking claw prongs. Maybe something like this:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t have specific ideas but I’m just writing on this thread so I can see the rock once it’s posted LOL. 9ct!! Wowza! And I agree with the others that simple would be a good way to go :)

Ooof, 9 carats! That’s going to be such a honker of a ring!!!

I like the idea of a very very plain solitaire ring at that size, honestly. Maybe a nice fancy basket, and I like the idea of double prongs, but other than that, just a simple plain band.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh can’t wait to hear more. My thoughts went straight to @twosanguinehearts ring! Gorgeous!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omg-it’s-my-omc-a-6-2-carat-dream.260146/page-5#post-4830381
69642C75-2EA2-4114-A35A-57E44AB75F81.jpeg

Ahh this was the one I was referring to. I think the split shank definitely works well to hold a stone that size - and definitely for the 9ct. I think a thin band would definitely spin like what @Polabowla said.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
These are stunning..now I realize that I may have to go with a split shank due to size. Simple wins, maybe some milgrain, but simple it will be. The ring needs nothing else. I've managed to piece this together-its not much but you can see the tint [this was against white paper].

white paper test.jpg

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you!! Agree with the others on a solitaire. Since you will be seeing a lot of gallery because of the large and lovely size I would do something interesting with that. A cool pattern, initial, engraving, colored stone ...

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project! I am excited to see what you choose :)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@blingmeupscotty do you have a metal preference? No side stones?

I will either go in yellow gold or rose. I have rb's from other inherited jewelry for side stones but I highly doubt they'll make it in. At this size, it won't need it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@blingmeupscotty from your pics she screams yellow gold to me, but maybe in person she has some pinky undertones-either way it will be lovely! Jewelry size is so personal, but if you want them I think some icey white side stones could still be a lovely addition to show off her color contrast a bit.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@blingmeupscotty from your pics she screams yellow gold to me, but maybe in person she has some pinky undertones-either way it will be lovely! Jewelry size is so personal, but if you want them I think some icey white side stones could still be a lovely addition to show off her color contrast a bit.

Just got off the phone with a local designer that literally crossed my path today [thank you universe!]. We're going to sit down when she's here and design it. Can't WAIT!!!! And thank you everyone for all your help and knowledge.. by all means keep it coming.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good lawd almighty that's huge! I hope you are doing finger exercises to strengthen your hands to hold that baby up! Not sure what you end up doing but I can't wait to see!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good lawd almighty that's huge! I hope you are doing finger exercises to strengthen your hands to hold that baby up! Not sure what you end up doing but I can't wait to see!

I know.. believe me.. daunting AF but I'm going to rock it like Liz [been giggling all morning].

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well..she is here. Roz has entered the building..hammered gold bezel is leading the pack for design elements. I'm also going to create hubbies ring/matching band/set in the process. We will see where we end up. More updates as design elements are solidified.

roz1.jpg

Attachments

• roz2.jpg
    roz2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 36

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I‘ve no suggestions other than seconding the split shank for balance. A stone this size doesn’t need any embellishment/accompaniment.
I’m SO excited for you!! Can’t wait to see it on your finger!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results