shape
carat
color
clarity

Large knuckles=spinning ring, any have a fix?

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I have knuckles that are larger than the base of my finger and so my rings have to be a little larger to get over the hump. This means that my rings spin (less in the summer/more when it is cold). Any suggestions or quick fixes? Thanks!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain as I suffer from big knuckles too. But I turned it into a positive...big knuckles meant an excuse for bigger stones...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is an adjustible shank you can get that was designed specifically for this issue. It isn't a quick fit, but it would solve your problem. Google adjustible shank ring

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have the ring sized to get past the knuckle and add sizing beads to lessen the spinning

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Two of the most popular adjustable shanks are Superfit and Fingermate. Most jewelers have access to both.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave up and live with it. I don't like sticking things on my rings. The price I pay for being OCD.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use Ringo sizers on my rings in winter - my knuckles are large and my hands swell loads in summer, so anything that fits in summer is way too large in winter! They're plastic inserts that clip between your finger and the shank. I much prefer them to Huggies, which wrap fully around the shank and annoy me as they stick out on the palm side too. Cheap and cheerful fix!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use Ringo sizers on my rings in winter - my knuckles are large and my hands swell loads in summer, so anything that fits in summer is way too large in winter! They're plastic inserts that clip between your finger and the shank. I much prefer them to Huggies, which wrap fully around the shank and annoy me as they stick out on the palm side too. Cheap and cheerful fix!

Same with me!

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the idea! I ordered some from Amazon last night. To get by I stacked a bunch of rings this morning. :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same issue and most of my rings have a sizing bridge. Here you can see it on the shank of my ring. cmscallaring05.jpg cmsflyring00031.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have the ring sized to get past the knuckle and add sizing beads to lessen the spinning

This is what I just did. I resized the ring a whole size (4 quarter sizes) and added sizing beads. This way it fits in warmer and cooler weather. The other option is to get one of those adjustable shanks as already mentioned. But I wanted to try this option first because the adjustable shank only can be sized to fit one size and that might not work great for me in the warmer weather. Vs sizing it up and having sizing beads where now the ring can fit a few fingers and can handle fluctuations in finger width due to temperature changes. So far so good. And when it is very cool out and the finger shrinks too much just add another band to prevent spinning as discussed above. There are creative ways to manage the issue of fingers swelling and shrinking and it can be a blingy solution. :appl:

Good luck. For me the worst part of this problem is I don't love the look of my hands but what can you do. At least we have pretty bling to distract us from the big knuckles.:cheeky::halo:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use a ring noodle during the winter or stack rings like the posters. The ring noodle for me is perfect, a little plastic tube that wraps around the shank of my e ring. It was a cheap, easy fix.

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
I had these installed on my ring to help keep in place. But I also had them removed shortly after when my fingers swelled. It's a cheap fix and worth a try. If you have any gold laying around you don't use, have a jeweler melt it down and add the speed bumps. Even a broken clasp shld be enough to melt down for this purpose.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a huge fan of speed bumps. I've had them "installed" in all my top heavy rings now.

949r6

Rough_Rock
Resurrecting an old thread but have a question on the beads and speed bumps. My gf was sized a 3.5 but had difficulty getting it passed her joint. I went with a size 3.75, the ring has yet to arrive and hoping it would be a good fit!

Question: If the the ring was difficult to get passed the knuckle/joint and beads/speedbumps installed to prevent the ring from freely spinning due to the base of the finger being smaller, wouldn't the beads & speedbumps make it that much more difficult to get passed the knuckle/joint? Forgive my anotomical misnomers.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tiffany's offers both speed bumps and sort of like a strip on the bottom of the ring. That definitely stopped my ring from spinning around. I found the strip very comfortable.

From what I understand, it doesn't make it more difficult to get past your knuckle because it's just a little bit of extra material VS having the entire ring smaller KWIM?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resurrecting an old thread but have a question on the beads and speed bumps. My gf was sized a 3.5 but had difficulty getting it passed her joint. I went with a size 3.75, the ring has yet to arrive and hoping it would be a good fit!

Question: If the the ring was difficult to get passed the knuckle/joint and beads/speedbumps installed to prevent the ring from freely spinning due to the base of the finger being smaller, wouldn't the beads & speedbumps make it that much more difficult to get passed the knuckle/joint? Forgive my anotomical misnomers.
FWIW my mom prefers speed bumps over beads. They slide over the knuckle with a bit of sliding, but its quick. It won't make it too difficult. She can also get a spring sizer. My mom has a few of these they were custom inserted into her rings. So, these squish to pass over the knuckle and them fill the space of the smaller area between the knuckle and base of the finger.

Not her ring, found this online!
TR_edited.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found it helpful to size the ring up a whole size and then add the sizing beads. This way the ring gets over the larger knuckle more easily without irritating it (as irritation can cause swelling and make it even larger) and is secure on the finger because the sizing beads holds it comfortably in place.

sizingbeadsoecclusterandfrancesca.JPG

and the added benefit is when my fingers swell my cluster ring still fits perfectly. The sizing up and the addition of the sizing beads are a perfect solution for me because my fingers fluctuate due to my Raynauds. And I can also wear this ring on different fingers which is another plus.

oecclusterinhotweatherwithswellingfingers.JPG

HTH and good luck.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I can't even wear my e-ring right now after yard work with my joints so swelled up. sad :((

I bought spiral silicone tighteners off Amazon for only $5.95 for a 12 pack multi sized spirals. I cut them down to what I need and I think these will last me a lifetime. Now I buy a size bigger for newer rings and put them on and off depending on season.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have huge knuckles and much smaller fingers where the rings sit. I also find that sizing beads work well. After I get them over the knuckle they don't spin at all.

949r6

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the tips. The spring sizer/spiral silicone tightner/ring noodle seems like a quick and easy fix if needed....but hoping it's not!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My cheap-o fix: cut off a 1cm piece of aquarium tubing and make a longitudinal cut.
aquarium tubing.jpg

Slip it under your ring. Done.

If it falls off, no big deal. A 10 foot package of tubing is around $7.00 and will last forever. For extra security, I sometimes put a tiny blob of adhesive putty in the little tube.

You can put the tubing under both rings, or just one. It stops both of my rings from slipping, even if I only put it under my wedding band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a sizing "bar" in mine. I can snap photos if you want. It's just a long narrow metal strip at the base inside the shank.

And if you gain weight that also helps HAH.

srke

Shiny_Rock
My ring spinning used to drive me crazy but I didn't want to size down my ring as once I start wearing my wedding ring, the wring would sit higher and be tighter. I ended up getting a temporary sizing bar. I slide it into the ring when my fingers shrink a bit and the ring feels really loose. It slides easily onto my finger but the ring guard holds the ring tightly once it's on. And as I don't have it permanently attached I can remove it and have a looser ring whenever I want.
Even if you plan on getting something more permanent attached, you can try something like this to see if it works for you /whether it feels uncomfortable, etc

s-l400.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results