shape
carat
color
clarity

Large Blue Kyanite Ring

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a kyanite measuring 11 x 8.5, set in a sterling silver bezel. Kyanite is untreated so the blue is completely natural. It's a very delicate stone, hence the bezel and thick basket. It's unusual because it has two Mohs ratings - the long crystals have a Mohs hardness of about 4.5 to 5 if tested parallel to the length of a crystal. However, it has a hardness of 6.5 to 7 if tested across the short dimension of a crystal.

The crystals tend to grow in elongated shapes, hence the long-ish oval.

I adore the heavenly mid-blue of this ring, and it makes me feel as if I'm wearing a gorgeous Kate-like sapphire, for significantly less money. I also like that kyanite receives no treatments at all, and comes out the ground this amazing (to me) color.

Enjoy the photos!

_36397.jpg

dscn0211.jpg

_36398.jpg

dscn0213.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely ring, the blue reminds me denim or cornflowers. Enjoy!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a color!! Amazing stone and setting. :love:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color!

Q

Queenie60

I just love it Jamba. You have some very lovely jewelry pieces - and some unusual. Beautiful blue. :wavey:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a royal and regal blue!! It's gorgeous!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, everyone!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Beautiful!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, this is so pretty Jambalaya! Gorgeous shade of blue and the setting is awesome! :love:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I adore this!! I love sapphires but find it hard to spend the money when I could get a diamond with not much more for the same size. Can I ask where you found this beauty? The color is TDF and blue is my favorite!!! :love:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

SparklySoprano, I bought it at a small independent rock-and-mineral store which sells mainly inexpensive semi-precious stones set in sterling silver, plus some more expensive items set in gold. I don't want to say the location for security reasons - I try to avoid too many details of me/my location building up here due to posting jewelry. But if it's any consolation, although the store does have some other kyanite rings, the stones are nothing like as nice as this one - much darker in color and less sparkly, and you wouldn't want any of them. You're better off asking the folks in Colored Stones to help you find a nice kyanite. Good luck!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color! Your ring looks great.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jamba, your ring is so pretty! It's such a beautiful blue! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a scrumptious color! The setting is unique and very pretty!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, Jambie, it's so beautiful. Could we get some shots taken outside?? I mean pics :lol: :lol: :lol: Must see more of this unique stone and custom ring!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, everyone!

Asztonie, one of the shots is taken outside - it's the one with the balcony/street in the background!

An interesting thing about kyanite is that it's really a daytime stone. The color looks best in daytime but goes darker in evening light. This isn't just me; I read somewhere - possibly a gem and minerals website - that the stone looks best in natural light.

Interestingly, the rock and mineral store where I bought it also has some raw kyanite samples for sale, which basically looks like fingers of rock with blue streaks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results