shape
carat
color
clarity

LARD -- any idea where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2007 7:13:17 PM
Author: surfgirl
deco, you crack me up. But honestly, as Mara attests to, Crisco veg shortening is just as good and healthier I think (if Crisco can be considered healthy in any realm!) than LARD. Blech.

If you want to explore the wild world of artery clogging substances, you should get some DVDs of Two Fat Ladies or whatever that show was called on the Food Channel. Those two fat British women cooked everything in lard, even bacon was cooked in bacon fat. Sounds right up your current alley!
Yup. Lard is commonplace in the British Isles and it is also dirt cheap and sold in supermarkets in a solid block
40.gif
It can be used in pastry making along with marg, you can also fry with it, saute with it, boil it, broil it etc! Even worse is suet which is basically shredded lard used in some pie pastry
14.gif
Thankfully you can get vegetarian suet now, Crisco is the closest I have found to a vegetarian lard.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco,
the burning question I have is . . . did you make your tortillas???? How were they?
18.gif
31.gif
11.gif
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 1:19:50 PM
Author: Skippy123
Deco,

the burning question I have is . . . did you make your tortillas???? How were they?
18.gif
31.gif
11.gif
3.gif

HA!

Not yet! I wanted a witness so I had to wait for DH to get home from his biz trip ... maybe Sat a.m. or Sunday a.m..

Will def report the results & now that the camera is back too ... maybe PIX!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 1:21:44 PM
Author: decodelighted

Deco,

18.gif
31.gif
11.gif
3.gif

HA!

Not yet! I wanted a witness so I had to wait for DH to get home from his biz trip ... maybe Sat a.m. or Sunday a.m..

Sounds good. Ever since you made this thread I have been craving those yummy fluffy warm mouth watering tortillas.
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as skippy mentioned, we have the lard in all the supermarkets here. funny thing is, i''ve never actually used it. i know the lard makes a difference but i noticed that my tortillas came out AWESOME when i started using a comel. hehe...you think lard is hard to find! good news is, you don''t need to get a comel specifically. you can use a cast iron pan (that is big enough to fit a tortilla). season it well (bacon grease!
9.gif
) and cook your tortillas in there. ahhhhh.....perfection! the tortillas will taste soooo much better this way!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 1:30:13 PM

Deco,

18.gif
31.gif
11.gif
3.gif

HA!

Sounds good. Ever since you made this thread I have been craving those yummy fluffy warm mouth watering tortillas.
11.gif
oh stop it woman!
(have you tasted the tortillas from golden pride? ....omg....YUM!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 1:39:21 PM
Author: belle

Date: 6/20/2007 1:30:13 PM

Deco,

18.gif
31.gif
11.gif
3.gif

HA!

11.gif
oh stop it woman!
(have you tasted the tortillas from golden pride? ....omg....YUM!)
YES
31.gif
31.gif

Belle, we should meet Sundial there one day! I love Golden Pride! When I go there I get their yummy smoked chicken and ask for a tortilla on the side w/butter.
11.gif

Now you are making me hungry Belle.
11.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2007 1:38:01 PM
as skippy mentioned, we have the lard in all the supermarkets here. funny thing is, i''ve never actually used it. i know the lard makes a difference but i noticed that my tortillas came out AWESOME when i started using a comel. hehe...you think lard is hard to find! good news is, you don''t need to get a comel specifically. you can use a cast iron pan (that is big enough to fit a tortilla). season it well (bacon grease!
9.gif
) and cook your tortillas in there. ahhhhh.....perfection! the tortillas will taste soooo much better this way!
Please Miss Belle, what is that?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 4:22:35 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 6/20/2007 1:38:01 PM
9.gif
Please Miss Belle, what is that?
I was wondering about that too but guessed it was the fat saved from bacon grease????

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
a tortilla pan?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cormel, huh ... I have to check that out??? I wanna find one of those teepee thingies that keep the fresh tortillas hot too! But not the expensive Crate & Barrel kind ... the, heh, garage sale variety. Or Target ... Target kind would be good too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comal:

http://www.thisnext.com/item/66E4FE78/Comal-cast-iron-tortilla-grill

and actually this is what my grandma got me for making tortillas! it's basically just a cast iron flat grill thing.

i have to admit the best tortillas i have EVER HAD in my entire life were from chevys. warm off 'el machino' or whatever...i can eat those ALL DAY LONG. i love me some warm melty flour tortillas with butter.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH!!! I did a google search for comel and you wouldn't believe the things I came up with!!! Electronics, a kids name, etc.

My grandma had a wood stove w/cast iron top and used that to make tortillas. This thread is KILLING ME.
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2007 5:39:18 PM
Author: Mara
Comal:

and actually this is what my grandma got me for making tortillas! it''s basically just a cast iron flat grill thing.

i have to admit the best tortillas i have EVER HAD in my entire life were from chevys. warm off ''el machino'' or whatever...i can eat those ALL DAY LONG. i love me some warm melty flour tortillas with butter.
Thank you Mara! Your food descriptions always get me, now I am craving tortillas with no place to snag any
7.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 6:18:53 PM

Comal:

and actually this is what my grandma got me for making tortillas! it's basically just a cast iron flat grill thing.

i have to admit the best tortillas i have EVER HAD in my entire life were from chevys. warm off 'el machino' or whatever...i can eat those ALL DAY LONG. i love me some warm melty flour tortillas with butter.
Thank you Mara! Your food descriptions always get me, now I am craving tortillas with no place to snag any
7.gif

This maybe a dumb question, but do they have them in England? Naan are sort of similar. You should make them and get your friends hooked on them Lorelei
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 6:18:53 PM

Comal:

and actually this is what my grandma got me for making tortillas! it''s basically just a cast iron flat grill thing.

i have to admit the best tortillas i have EVER HAD in my entire life were from chevys. warm off ''el machino'' or whatever...i can eat those ALL DAY LONG. i love me some warm melty flour tortillas with butter.
7.gif
lol well now you know how i feel when you start waxing on about CARROT CAKE!!!
25.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah Skippers we have tortillas here, sorry to get you carrot cake mongering too Mara, which I could just eat by the way too...spicy, moist and nutty with a slightly sour cream cheese frosting...Oh gawd
18.gif

NewUser

Rough_Rock
My local grocery store carries it in the Mexican food section. I bought some once to fry chicken in, but I couldn''t stand the smell so I tossed it. It wasn''t a rancid smell, it was an animal smell. The chicken came out fine, but I never used it again because of the smell.

You can render your own lard. I have never tried it but if you can''t find it locally, it is an option.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle,
Hubby and I are going to Golden Pride so I can get me a tortilla. I almost called my mom to see if she would make them, but knowing her she would make me a year supply and I would have to eat them all so they wouldn''t go bad in the freezer.
11.gif
So your Golden Pride reminder has me going to get just 1 today so my craving is met.

Deco, you are naughty getting us all hungry for warm, fluffy, buttery, tortillas.
11.gif
18.gif
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 1:05:53 PM
Deco, you are naughty getting us all hungry for warm, fluffy, buttery, tortillas.
11.gif
18.gif
2.gif

HA! I, myself, have gotten a little turned *off* of the idea ... what with the mention of "animal smells".
23.gif
14.gif
Opening that tub is gonna be traumatic now -- as I wait to ... ugh ... sniff????

To be continued ...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 1:21:43 PM

11.gif
18.gif
2.gif

HA! I, myself, have gotten a little turned *off* of the idea ... what with the mention of ''animal smells''.
23.gif
14.gif
Opening that tub is gonna be traumatic now -- as I wait to ... ugh ... sniff????

To be continued ...
LOL That is what I was thinking...Animal Smells..Tortillas...not exactly going hand-in-hand in pleasureness for me...but it could be beneficial for the non-tortilla-eating waistline should I ever try to experiment.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
skippy, have your mom make the years' supply... i will sacrifice myself to find a good place for the extras
2.gif
does she do posole too?
have fun at golden pride! i just went last week.

deco, i'm telling you...you don't *need* the lard. get thyself a cast iron pan (i seemed to have just confused the issue mentioning the comel!)
....cast iron and some bacon grease (vegetable would be fine too if all of the talk of lard has made you want to move on to plant matter)

tortillas are soooooo simple to make and very very worth the effort.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 1:29:42 PM
i''m telling you...you don''t *need* the lard. get thyself a cast iron pan and some bacon grease (vegetable would be fine too if all of the talk of lard has made you want to move on to plant matter)
Okay Belle ... maybe I misunderstood your post ... I thought you meant use the bacon grease seasoned cast iron skillet to COOK the tortillas ...

Did you mean to mix bacon grease INTO the flour/baking powder/hot water concoction?? That''s where the lard comes in in the recipie I (ha) watched on You Tube. Some folks were saying Crisco or butter would work also, but the dude on the video said they come out too dry w/anything but LARD.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly i have never had a DRY tortilla made with crisco or butter or whatever. shortening or butter and dry don''t go hand in hand for me. video dude sounds like he''s smoking the crack pipe. but you won''t know til you try.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 1:21:43 PM

11.gif
18.gif
2.gif

HA! I, myself, have gotten a little turned *off* of the idea ... what with the mention of ''animal smells''.
23.gif
14.gif

To be continued ...
To me it doesn''t smell of anything, but human snouts can vary! You can do it Deco!
19.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 2:41:33 PM
To me it doesn't smell of anything, but human snouts can vary!
LOLROTF!!!
Oh NO! I haven't even MADE or EATEN them yet & somehow I've grown a "snout"!
3.gif
I'm feeling quite PORCINE suddenly
4.gif

ETA:

This little piggy went to market
This little piggy should have stayed home

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darling Deco, I did not mean to make YOU feel porcine, twas I with the snout!
emangel.gif

I have one thing further to say. Bum chicka wow wow!
16.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 1:29:42 PM
skippy, have your mom make the years'' supply... i will sacrifice myself to find a good place for the extras
2.gif
does she do posole too?
have fun at golden pride! i just went last week.

deco, i''m telling you...you don''t *need* the lard. get thyself a cast iron pan (i seemed to have just confused the issue mentioning the comel!)
....cast iron and some bacon grease (vegetable would be fine too if all of the talk of lard has made you want to move on to plant matter)

tortillas are soooooo simple to make and very very worth the effort.

Oh Belle, my mom does do Posole and tamales and biscochitos, you name it she does it! I try not to eat any of that. I told hubby about the Lard thread and tortillas and he said we should have taken a picture! Duh, why didn''t I think of bringing the camera.
2.gif
Next time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results