shape
carat
color
clarity

Lan.Bo4 Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I received my first china setting today from lan.bo4 and I am disappointed. First, he was suppose to change the setting to have double prongs instead of single - that was not done. Second, the workmanship is poor with a chunk of gold in the basket (see purple square). I wasn''t sure what to expect but this is unacceptable to me. I really don''t want to go through the hassle of returning it but this is pretty bad. Is this something my jeweler can fix easily? Thoughts?

ChunkGoldSetting.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler might be able to fix it. How are the diamonds?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps it can be polished out so that blob of metal will not stick out as much. I''m sorry that the workmanship is terribly poor. I''d be horrified to receive something like that too.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 11:24:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
So small and can''t see them. Not much sparkle but they aren''t black.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2009 8:28:56 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 5/9/2009 11:24:44 PM
So small and can''t see them. Not much sparkle but they aren''t black.
Next question, if you don''t mind me asking. How much did you pay?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember but I think it was around $120. It wasn''t esepcially cheap since the BIN is around $150.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a pic of it on the hand? I would say keep it because it was so cheap, that you would probably be out $30 returning it to China, and it probably is decent enough for one of your stones. If he refunds your shipping costs, then return it (which he should since he did not make it the way you wanted). If you keep it, the jeweler would just have to polish out the gold part in the basket. As for double prongs, I''m not sure how big the mm size is on that head, but if it''s around one carat, it might not be worth doing double prongs, because they could overpower the stone. Also, there might be construction issues if you do request double prongs from lan.bo4. I don''t trust their workmanship enought to think they would do a good job. I am really careful about requesting specialized prongs from lan.bo4 and even LOGR because of a history of them cracking and/or breaking off when trying to set a stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Great advice. I emailed him so I will see what he says. I want to establish a level of expectations with him because I have 2 more settings coming from his other accounts. I want to make sure those come out right. It cost me only $8 to send something to him before but it is lost since I sent it without tracking. I wouldn''t feel comfortable sending this without tracking.

I will see how good this new jeweler I am using is. I found him on PS with good feedback and decided to test them out with setting the Malaya from Barry. The store carried high end jewelry but they don''t do custom work. It was $50 to set the stone so around the middle - I found places for $25 and others as high as $100. If it doesn''t go well, I am going to try out another recommendation from PS. How much do you pay for setting? This is all new to me .. I have always gone custom in the past.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck Charmy,
Let us know how it goes.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
What places have you found in TO that set it for 25 and 50? Do you have a regular jeweler that you trust to do customs and all?

Thanks for the info. I am looking for one

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 3:23:09 PM
Author: Icce
What places have you found in TO that set it for 25 and 50? Do you have a regular jeweler that you trust to do customs and all?

Most of my custom work has been done in Asia and the US. I have also typically purchased name brand jewelry until I discovered PS.

I am just testing out a few Toronto jewelers now. I don''t want to give any names until I know they are good. The $25 are usually downtown in Dundas Square.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charmy, I impulse bought a setting from him last week and am waiting for it. Did you upgrade the diamonds? I paid 260 for mine (total including upgraded diamonds) it''s got a double halo so it''s quite a bit larger than your setting (and honestly larger than I like, it was 5am and I think I was cross eyed from lack of sleep).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I did not upgrade my diamonds as they were suppose to be F/VS1.

Lan.Bo4 has been pretty good so far. He agreed to refund my money including shipping back to him or pick another setting from his auctions. I just want him to fix my setting.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 10:24:20 AM
Do you have a pic of it on the hand? I would say keep it because it was so cheap, that you would probably be out $30 returning it to China, and it probably is decent enough for one of your stones. If he refunds your shipping costs, then return it (which he should since he did not make it the way you wanted). If you keep it, the jeweler would just have to polish out the gold part in the basket. As for double prongs, I''m not sure how big the mm size is on that head, but if it''s around one carat, it might not be worth doing double prongs, because they could overpower the stone. Also, there might be construction issues if you do request double prongs from lan.bo4. I don''t trust their workmanship enought to think they would do a good job. I am really careful about requesting specialized prongs from lan.bo4 and even LOGR because of a history of them cracking and/or breaking off when trying to set a stone.

Where did you hear about their prongs breaking? I don''t recall anyone from here having that problem, I guess I missed that thread.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s good news.

I wasn''t going to upgrade mine but it wasn''t very expensive ($60) so I just went for it. I also asked him to make sure that it''s very well polished. So we''ll see. He''s been very nice when I''ve spoken to him. He has another halo I like a lot better, in design, than the one I bought though. Ahh well. I have to say that if he fixes it, you''ve got a lovely setting there.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 9:33:15 PM
Author: Gypsy
That''s good news.

I wasn''t going to upgrade mine but it wasn''t very expensive ($60) so I just went for it. I also asked him to make sure that it''s very well polished. So we''ll see. He''s been very nice when I''ve spoken to him. He has another halo I like a lot better, in design, than the one I bought though. Ahh well. I have to say that if he fixes it, you''ve got a lovely setting there.
The good news is that it was polished very well! The setting is very delicate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is incredibly inexpensive; definitely not worth shipping back. TL also made a good point about the double prongs. It is possible that there is no room for double prongs in a small basket made for a 1 ct stone. In any case, adding double prongs on a 1 ct gemstone actually accentuates its smallness because it hides more of the stone than single prongs.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 10:53:48 PM
Author: Chrono
That is incredibly inexpensive; definitely not worth shipping back. TL also made a good point about the double prongs. It is possible that there is no room for double prongs in a small basket made for a 1 ct stone. In any case, adding double prongs on a 1 ct gemstone actually accentuates its smallness because it hides more of the stone than single prongs.
He said he will pay for me shipping it back so no harm?

That setting was supposely made for a 8x6 mm stone but upon everyone''s recommendation - I will stick to single prongs. I don''t know if the size is accurate since some of my stones that should fit aren''t fitting. I have to meausre it.

I don''t bid over $120 on my eBay China settings. I got 4 coming :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not happy with the workmanship and he'll refund your shipping, I'd take his offer. I just don't have a good feeling about this. You should not have to pay another person to fix issues with lanbo's ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2009 11:02:32 PM
Author: Chrono
If you are not happy with the workmanship and he''ll refund your shipping, I''d take his offer. I just don''t have a good feeling about this. You should not have to pay another person to fix issues with lanbo''s ring.
I agree 100%

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

My boyfriend picked up the ring for me and warned me it was awful. I saw it today and it looks bad.. really bad prong work. The ring looks horrible. I am going to bring it back and see if they can make it better. The prongs are huge and overwhelms the ring.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 9:10:48 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

My boyfriend picked up the ring for me and warned me it was awful. I saw it today and it looks bad.. really bad prong work. The ring looks horrible. I am going to bring it back and see if they can make it better. The prongs are huge and overwhelms the ring.
oh I''m so sorry...
7.gif
I hope they can fix it for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry about the oversized prongs, Charmy.
7.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I called them and they are going to see what they can do. I always knew how important prongs are to the overlook .. yet I am still surprised at how oversized or bad prong work can really ruin the whole ring.

On the other hand, I just got a 5 stone emerald and diamond ring. The emeralds are included but the stones are so tiny you can''t tell. I love it... one of my only gold rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results