shape
carat
color
clarity

Lake Baringo Sapphire in Art Deco Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkarnes

Rough_Rock
My fiancee and I had been looking for a pink sapphire for a while and finally settled on having something cut by Precision Gem. The stone ended up being something completely different from what we originally had in mind when we started our search, but we both absolutely adore it. The experience was wonderful and it was really excellent to be able to see photos of the rough material to choose from before we committed to having something cut. The resulting stone is gorgeous and shows a great variety of color from deep red/orange flashes to vibrant pink to a very slight lavender hue depending on the lighting. It came from a primarily Ruby area, so I guess depending on the lab it might be considered either a ruby or a sapphire. I plan to have it graded/assessed locally here soon.

Here''s the info from Gene, who cut the stone:

--
The stone is an unheated, no treatment pink sapphire from Lake Baringo Kenya area.
The weight is 1.32 cts. and it measures 7.38 x 5.35 mm.

I have it graded as:

Color: 10 (of 10)
Clarity: 8 (of 10 - Eye Clean)
Brilliance: 5 (of 5)

Total Quality Rating: 9.3 (of 10)
--

We had been very interested in an antique band but were having problems finding something we liked that would be appropriate for the stone, so after a lengthy search we ended up finding a semi-local company in Harrisonburg, VA that will cast platinum on special order from original early 1900''s molds and we decided on a very beautiful open filigree piece. It was a little tricky and our jeweler had to request a couple of different white gold samples for us to see what would be best with the stone as they only cast at specific stone sizes (whatever they have for each mold in each style).

We just got the ring from our jeweler at the end of last week and she can''t stop staring at it, it''s pretty hilarious. These photos were taken the night we got it under somewhat dim fluorescent light and the stone is a bit lighter and more toward the truer pink end of things in natural sunlight. This color is pretty true to indoor artificial light in our house.

suzannering.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, awesome pink sapphire and ring! Isn''t Gene just the greatest, and doesn''t the cut make such a difference? Thanks for sharing your story, and I would love to see more pictures of your gorgeous ring. Particularly in different lighting.
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
man that is a beautiful color and gorgeous cut.

jkarnes

Rough_Rock
I have a color-calibrated photo light box at my studio, I just have to convince her to take the ring off so I can get some shots of it. I wanted to get some very accurate photos for our records/insurance/etc.

Here''s a few of my shots and the ones Gene initially sent me of the cut stone, as well as the two pieces of rough from Lake Baringo he had (I hope he doesn''t mind me using his photos). I''m not sure which this stone was cut from, we asked him to use whichever he thought would cut a better oval/rectangle hybrid.

suzannestone.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that ring is sexy!
31.gif
Well done!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is gorgeous! And it looks great in the setting. Good job!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, you''ve chosen well.
12.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’ll be good to ask Gene what light condition the stone was in for that gorgeous colour to show up. As for the setting, it is awesome. I love the filigree detail.
30.gif
Have you louped the stone? I’m just curious because the stone seems to have a soft glow as though it might have some silk which gives this effect. I like the velvety look that isn’t overly sleepy like yours.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It is a beautiful vivid pink colour, lovely!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!!!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, gorgeous ring! Just from looking at the rough, I would never have guessed the finished sapphire would be capable of deep color like that - amazing! I only have one stone from Gene, but I''m a huge fan of his already - he doesn''t do the same ol'' cuts that everyone else does. From the rough to the setting, you truly have a custom piece. Congratulations to you both!

And like the others, I would love to see more pics if you''re able!

jkarnes

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 11:08:03 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I would love to see more pictures of your gorgeous ring. Particularly in different lighting.
36.gif

Got a chance to toss it in the light box really quick. Photos are of 360 degree fluorescent, 180 degree halogen (left and right), and 1 point halogen at very close distance.

The stone does have some rutile needles present in it, and some silk as well, both of which are evidently not uncommon with stones from this area, as I found while doing some research. This is a great link, basically a GIA expedition to Kenya to check out the source of these stones, and there are some great photographs of lots of beautiful rough material.

http://www.fieldgemology.org/Gemology%20kenya%20baringo%20ruby%20corby.php

stonelights.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful. It sure faces up larger than a 1.32 carat sapphire. Nice color!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous.
36.gif
36.gif
I absolutely love the setting as well.

I''ve been eying a Lake Baringo stone listed under rubies on the Precision Gem website; the color is so rich!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results