shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies who lift weights in later life……

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Happy to answer whatever questions I can! Ask away. I really love to see this topic on the forum.

@Tonks Ok I have another question because I have been stalled in buying creatine as I cannot make a decision. There are so many choices! Any recs for which brand? I would have said I prefer capsules but they look like horse pills so I know I won't stick to that. I am exploring powder instead since I drink smoothies every day, but I don't know it would change the taste.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks Ok I have another question because I have been stalled in buying creatine as I cannot make a decision. There are so many choices! Any recs for which brand? I would have said I prefer capsules but they look like horse pills so I know I won't stick to that. I am exploring powder instead since I drink smoothies every day, but I don't know it would change the taste.

Horse pills :lol-2::lol-2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

Really any brand of creatine monohydrate will do. I’m using Thorne at the moment. Yes, you can find pills, but powder is the more traditional route and has the bonus (for me) of reminding me to drink a protein powder drink with it.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I missed your last comment. If you put it in protein powder, no, it does not change the taste.

Now, creatine in water alone? Doable, but yuck.

My fave protein powder is Ascent. Super clean mixing. Some powders are really a challenge to get off your drinkware. Ascent you can just rinse and toss in the dishwasher.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
August marked 33 years I have been lifting. I started when I was 17 and have consistently lifted ever since, did a fitness competition once, and was a personal trainer for a few years a million years ago and had some certifications that have long expired. With that said, I would never in a million years say that I know what I’m talking about. Lol! There’s just so much information and opinions, and the information is fluid, we learn things with new research every day.

Everyone has an opinion, every expert has some method they believe in. Although I agree that you need to consult an expert who will sit with you and find out your goals and your health history and your medical background and come up with a good plan for you… my concern is the definition of “expert” here lol

I watch trainers in the gym I belong to and I’m horrified at what they’re having people do, stuff that’s completely inappropriate for the persons ages or fitness levels.

The great thing about the Internet though is that you can actually find a really good expert with years of experience and they don’t have to be within a 5 mile radius of your area , like you can search someone who is training age appropriate and has the experience and knowledge to give you a great plan for your specific needs.

This is my personal opinion. For weight training at my age I can’t go super heavy, I can’t go to failure, it’s just not appropriate for my body anymore. I like to focus on trying to do 4 sets between 8 to 12 reps but they should be difficult for me, I shouldn’t be able to breeze through them, i should have perfect form. I focus on two or three heavy free weight exercises and then supplement with two or three machine type exercises. For example for chest I do flat bench and I do incline dumbbells as free weight exercises and then I’ll do push-ups and the machine chest press. I tend to do one major muscle a day and then I also either do spin class or I bike outside. I always hike in the woods outside my house with my dog on a daily basis. I'm physically incapable of running lol I have to bike if I want cardio. I also do a CrossFit type workout once a week.

I think you’re off to a great start which is just understanding that we lose muscle mass as we age and weight bearing exercises are so important at our age to combat the muscle loss. Also, i always told my clients, find the thing you enjoy doing, maybe it's yoga, maybe it's spin, maybe it's zumba, maybe it's swimming, but you wont stick to it if you dont like it so try to find something you like doing.

It changes as you age.... here's me, in 1993 at 20 years old

20mepoconos.JPG

and here's me this morning at the gym at 50 years old

50thisam.jpg
Damn yo!! Your shirt is amazing though, I need this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results