shape
carat
color
clarity

ladies watch questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading Dee Jay''s men''s watch thread and reading some of the 2007 wish lists, I have a couple of questions. I have no idea what THE most favored brands of watches are for women. Obviously Rolex, but I really like some of the Ebel and Concord watches. I don''t care if they are quartz either.

But here is my biggest dilemma. If getting a 14 or 18k gold watch, for some reason I really think the yellow gold ones are richer looking, whereas I am almost wearing all white metal jewelry now.

I cannot pay $5000 for a stainless steel watch either. I''d rather have gold if I get into that kind of price range.

So what brands do you like and would you do white gold or yellow gold?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love my ebel watch. like you, i like the look of yellow gold but i tend to wear more white metals now, so the answer for me was a combination of both. this watch is still one of my very favorites and i wear it everyday.
it is 18k gold and stainless

18kssebel.JPG

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure about the $5k max rule for stainless steel?
31.gif
Heh heh heh. These are built like tanks but also beautiful.

I love Tag Heuers. They're diving watches. This is the newer model of what I wear & I have smacked this on everything, gone skydiving with it, hangliding, diving & rock climbing and it is indestructible!

The plus is, with such a rugged watch -- for dinner, you can dress it up like a lady and it looks spectacular. All diamonds are ideal cut (so small, how do they do that?) and colorless.

It's nice to have several watches, but if you're looking for a very rugged one that still is beautiful (people will grab your wrist a lot!) then this is a nice option.

Tag.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a yellow gold Concord and an 18 kt. yellow gold and stainless Rolex. I love the thinness of the Concord and I think it is a very pretty design, but I find that since I''ve switched my rings to white metals I hardly ever wear it anymore. I do agree that watches look richer in yellow gold however. The Rolex is great because it is two-tone and goes with everything. It is just a classic everyday workhorse of a watch.

suestwowatch2.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is the raymond weil tango quartz watch. stainless/18k. it is a nice watch, well made, smooth, luxurious feeling.

this is the one i posted about where i wished i hadn''t bought it. i wish i had bought the 14k bulova instead. still, it is holding up well. and i learned that sapphire crystals are a good thing.

kemmawatch.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Ebel and Concord are nice and many places discount. Rolex and Cartier are stunning but harder to get at a discount.
It also depends on style, some brands have heavier looking or more sporty choices....while other lines have a nice mix of thinner and heavier looks.
I wear mostly white metals including dressy, so I would first get one in white gold. Then, if I could later, I might get yellow. I am trying to build up my jewelry collection in yellow, so I have some nice options in either metal. I think both look nice depending on your coloring and what you are wearing...

widget

Ideal_Rock
I personally can''t spend the extra $$$$ for a white gold watch. I want my gold watches to look like gold, not stainless steel!
1.gif

Here''s my all-time favorite: Patek Twenty~4 (quartz movement, SS):

widget

3766jbvav.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belle...beautiful watch..the stainless and 18k yg option would work with everything. I may do that, too!

Julian...oh, I know stainless can go a lot higher than $5000...that''s just a mental max of what I''d want to spend! Very pretty watch and certainly another nice brand! Several watches would solve all the problems! Lol!

Sundial..I like a Concord almost just like yours except it has a different face...but it helps to know you aren''t wearing it much since changing to white metals...much like me! I love your Rolex and of course you can never go wrong with one of those! Is it a pain to wind it, though? I am so used to quartz that I''d have to adjust to a mechanical watch!

Lady Kemma...I also like your two-tone watch. That seems to be a good choice for those of us who might have other jewelry in both metals. But I hear ya on the solid gold issue! And thanks for the reminder about the sapphire crystal..very important!

Widget...I completely agree with the problem of paying for WG when people may assume it is stainless! But on the other hand, it is weird to me to have diamonds with stainless! Your Patek watch is very beautiful! I imagine those are out of my price range, though! I''ve never even seen any in a jewelry store here!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do y''all know of reliable vendors who sell these kinds of watches at a discount? It''s sort of against my principles to pay full retail for any luxury item!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 3:05:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Belle...beautiful watch..the stainless and 18k yg option would work with everything. I may do that, too!

Julian...oh, I know stainless can go a lot higher than $5000...that''s just a mental max of what I''d want to spend! Very pretty watch and certainly another nice brand! Several watches would solve all the problems! Lol!

Sundial..I like a Concord almost just like yours except it has a different face...but it helps to know you aren''t wearing it much since changing to white metals...much like me! I love your Rolex and of course you can never go wrong with one of those! Is it a pain to wind it, though? I am so used to quartz that I''d have to adjust to a mechanical watch!

Lady Kemma...I also like your two-tone watch. That seems to be a good choice for those of us who might have other jewelry in both metals. But I hear ya on the solid gold issue! And thanks for the reminder about the sapphire crystal..very important!

Widget...I completely agree with the problem of paying for WG when people may assume it is stainless! But on the other hand, it is weird to me to have diamonds with stainless! Your Patek watch is very beautiful! I imagine those are out of my price range, though! I''ve never even seen any in a jewelry store here!
Some people are okay with wearing a yellow gold watch with a white gold or platinum ring, but I just don''t like the way they look together. As for my Rolex it is self-winding so as long as you wear it everyday it is very low maintenance. Unfortunatly it is hard to find discounts on Rolex, but I like the fact that you won''t find them at Costco. I mean if you are going to pay that much it is nice that they try to maintain the value of the brand.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 3:07:05 PM
Do y''all know of reliable vendors who sell these kinds of watches at a discount? It''s sort of against my principles to pay full retail for any luxury item!
This is one case I might rely on high-end local jewelers ... you want an authorized retailer who can send in the watch for repairs, give you the proper paperwork etc ... some of the online dealers seem "gray market" to me .. which is hard to stomach for a 5K item!

My local jeweler - when he saw me positively DROOLING over the JAEGER case - told me he could give me 15% off retail .. (maybe 20 .. i can''t recall exactly). At that point you''re approaching the "discount" of the grey market online places ... so I''d buy local ... UNLESS I could find a "used" version at Signed Pieces or something - in which case I''d totally snap it up. (if there was paperwork).

My aunt & uncle have matching 18K YG watches ... i just don''t like YG. Never did ... even when it was THE style ... and still now that it''s coming back. It just looks bad with my blue/white skin tone. I''m a stainless girl! (Though Jaeger does offer some PLATINUM cases
31.gif
11.gif
)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! Platinum cases??? You're talking about a watch that costs as much as a house! Lol! That would be something!

Very good points about the maintenance issues, Deco. One of my jewelers has a 20% off sale twice a year, so it sounds like that would be the time to buy an item like a watch. I think that would be the best route for sure.

Sundial...that's right..I forgot about the self-winding part. That's good. I know Rolex's hold their value very well, so that's not a bad route to go.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I wore my movado every day for the past five years, but in the past year or two I started wearing white gold and two tone gold jewellery a lot more. I bought this concord a few weeks ago and find it looks much better.

I must say that I do love my yellow gold watch the best, but I think the stainless works better with my current jewellery.

concord&movadowatches 002.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the two tone look.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 10:56:03 AM
Author: Julian
Are you sure about the $5k max rule for stainless steel?
31.gif
Heh heh heh. These are built like tanks but also beautiful.

I love Tag Heuers. They''re diving watches. This is the newer model of what I wear & I have smacked this on everything, gone skydiving with it, hangliding, diving & rock climbing and it is indestructible!

The plus is, with such a rugged watch -- for dinner, you can dress it up like a lady and it looks spectacular. All diamonds are ideal cut (so small, how do they do that?) and colorless.

It''s nice to have several watches, but if you''re looking for a very rugged one that still is beautiful (people will grab your wrist a lot!) then this is a nice option.
I really like this watch... I''ve been keeping an eye out for something I can wear all the time... this looks a tiny bit modern for my taste but I love that it is for diving therefore waterproof. I have a cheap watch right now that I love because it is easy to read underwater when I''m doing laps... but I''d love something more feminine and dainty and dressy with the ability to be worn swimming.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an Ebel watch as well. I love it. It''s stainless steel with diamonds and paid less than 2K for it. Check out Tourneau''s website. I didn''t get mine there, but they have an awesome selction. With watches there is room to negotiate, I did when buying my son a watch from Tourneau last week. Happy hunting!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading on here about chemicals in pools, I just wouldn''t wear a good watch in a pool even if it is waterproof.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 3:17:42 PM
Author: Sundial
Unfortunatly it is hard to find discounts on Rolex, but I like the fact that you won''t find them at Costco. I mean if you are going to pay that much it is nice that they try to maintain the value of the brand.

Costco Japan apparently sells them
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 6:46:22 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I have an Ebel watch as well. I love it. It''s stainless steel with diamonds and paid less than 2K for it. Check out Tourneau''s website. I didn''t get mine there, but they have an awesome selction. With watches there is room to negotiate, I did when buying my son a watch from Tourneau last week. Happy hunting!!!
Lisa, I loved an Ebel Beluga, I think, stainless with diamonds. But I am sure it was over $3000 at my jewelers. Did you get yours at a discount or is there really an Ebel at that price? I will check the site, thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 6:53:42 PM

Lisa, I loved an Ebel Beluga, I think, stainless with diamonds. But I am sure it was over $3000 at my jewelers. Did you get yours at a discount or is there really an Ebel at that price? I will check the site, thanks!
I bought it at my jeweler''s that was having a sale. I wasn''t there to buy a watch. Was there to check out a setting for mrssalvo. This store advertised that they carried the designer, but got there and they didn''t have it, or any other settings by them. While my salesperson was calling the other stores, I made my way over to the watches and walked out with my Ebel. I still tease mrssalvo about it, hehe!!!
3.gif
This was a long time ago.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 6:48:40 PM
Author: lisaC

Date: 11/26/2006 3:17:42 PM
Author: Sundial
Unfortunatly it is hard to find discounts on Rolex, but I like the fact that you won''t find them at Costco. I mean if you are going to pay that much it is nice that they try to maintain the value of the brand.

Costco Japan apparently sells them
31.gif
Should have told me that before I went there last month!
9.gif
The new two-tone ones with the rose gold are just yummy! Of course everything in Japan seemed pretty expensive to me.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know much about watches, but I love the look of the Omega Constellation watches. I prefer white gold since all my jewelry is white gold/platinum. They are stainless steel and definitely retail for less than $5000. Here are my two favorites. I think the one without the colored stones retails for about $2500. I''m not sure about the colored stones one. Does anyone know if Omega has a good reputation?

Omega Constellation Watch.gif

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Omega Constellation Iris Watch

Omega Iris Watch.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa! Good deal! I''m sure I paid at least twice that much for my diamond Beluga...only slightly discounted I guess!!!! I need to know your people!!
2.gif

BTW, I was cruising Costco website yesterday, and saw a Cartier and some other brand name watches.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler that I was looking at for the happy hubby''s watch typically discounts 30% across the board--Jaeger, Cartier, IWC, you name it. He also discounts jewelry 35% so maybe that''s his business model? Whenever I go in there I just mentally knock 1/3 off the price tag when I look at things. Someone else who works in the store told me that they won''t carry Rolex because Rolex forbids them to discount AT ALL.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 7:55:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
The jeweler that I was looking at for the happy hubby''s watch typically discounts 30% across the board--Jaeger, Cartier, IWC, you name it. He also discounts jewelry 35% so maybe that''s his business model? Whenever I go in there I just mentally knock 1/3 off the price tag when I look at things. Someone else who works in the store told me that they won''t carry Rolex because Rolex forbids them to discount AT ALL.
HI:

In the B & M where I buy all our watches, I was told the Rolex sports models never are discounted; but that older styles have "some latitude". I''ve never purchased a Rolex, but received varying discounts on three Concords, one Ebel and one Omega.

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 6:46:40 PM
After reading on here about chemicals in pools, I just wouldn''t wear a good watch in a pool even if it is waterproof.
"good" is relative though too because unless I had so much money I could just throw it in the fire, I doubt I''d spend thousands on a watch.... it just isn''t that high on my list of what to spend it on :D I''ve always been a $10 watch sort of person and I spent I think $50 on the one I have now and spent $500 on the one I got dh for anniversary and I would likely now go up to 1k but 5k? 10k? 15-50k? Not for me! If I had a 20k watch I doubt I''d wear it in the pool either... but having a watch I can wear in the pool is more important to me than having a 20k watch so I''m probably stuck with $50 watches :/

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
DS, the link to the Tag you posted is similar to the one i want, except mine has chronographs. it''s the one that you see uma thurman wearing in all the billboards and posters. i asked my jeweler about it, he said he can sell it to me for a 25% discount, which means $4k retail, my price will be $3k. still a lot. i''ve been wanting that watch for more than half a year now, still can''t find myself to buy it.

i currently wear my movado (harmony, i think it''s called) everyday. sam got it for me 2 christmas'' ago and i love it. it''s stainless steel with a black face.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results