shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, on your first dinner date with your now hubby..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
did he take you to an expensive restaurant for dinner?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, it was a pretty average, mid-priced place. But I picked it because I love it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our first date was breakfast at International House of Pancakes. I had elbow surgery earlier in the week and this was the first decent food that I ate all week. He claims that I inhaled my breakfast.:lol-2:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on your perspective of what would have been the first date, our first date was either at Dennys with my dad when we first met in person very cautiously lmao. Or it was at a pizza place I love and he discovered then that he hates the next day when we ventured out together to go to the zoo after he had been Daddy approved.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went for Chinese food. It was a small, independent chef owned place (maybe 20 tables, and with a fine dining approach to food), but still pretty moderately priced. Absolutely delicious and we had a blast. We ordered things that we had no idea what they were and we ordered so many dishes for just for the two of us that the owner (who was delivering food to the table and chatting with guests) scolded us for ordering so much when he saw it was just the two of us. We happily ate leftovers for days.

Q

Queenie60

No. He took me to lunch. But we were young and I wasn't going to fall for anything where he was going to try to impress me. I knew I was a "hot" topic!!!!!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, it was a nice moderately priced Italian Restaurant. Not cheap, but not expensive.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully no! we went to a cheap and cheerful cambodian place. Nothing worse than a date at swanky places where you're on edge trying to make sure you don't order the wrong thing or something as well as impress your date.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't remember where we went, but it probably was japanese or pho because we were living in San Diego at the time and there were lots of tasty places. Definitely not expensive since we were in grad school!

Also worth mentioning that the first time we met (at a party), we ended up spending the night together :twisted2: but nothing more than kissing happened. And then we spent pretty much every night together after that, so it wasn't exactly a typical relationship :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also worth mentioning that the first time we met (at a party), we ended up spending the night together :twisted2: but nothing more than kissing happened. And then we spent pretty much every night together after that, so it wasn't exactly a typical relationship :)
Do you really expect us to believe that?...:whistle:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, we had lunch at local cafe so very casual and relaxed.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to a nice Italian restaurant, I don’t think it was outrageously expensive, I don’t know, there weren’t any prices on my menu. :D

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope; sports bar/restaurant - we are both low-key & sports fanatics.

Funny side story - we were grabbing drinks at the bar while we waited for our table, and some guy sitting there preceded to tell us his sob story about how he was getting divorced, had like 8 kids, his wife was milking him for all his assets, how she got on his nerves, etc. He then looked at us and asked us both if he aggravated me/I aggravated him. Clearly the guy had no idea we’d just met, but I knew then that now-hubby & I had ‘something’ because we both could tell what the other was thinking with non-verbal cues - that we needed to get our drinks and wait elsewhere for our table because this guy was just too much. :doh:We still laugh about it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moderately priced local Italian restaurant & it was actually 12 years ago today :love:

We met for drinks for the first time the night before (April Fools Day :lol: ) then the next morning he called to ask if we could meet for lunch. That rolled on all day until we went for dinner. He kissed me goodnight in the pouring rain under a giant umbrella & my knees were knocking. I practically moved in with him the next day & we were married 17 months later. Here we are 10 1/2 years of marriage on, with 9 & 7 year old daughters wondering how time can pass so quickly & be so much fun?!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Methinks you must be bored DF and feel the need to stir things up.:rodent:

I think a burger and fries in the local bowling alley was as decadent as it got all those years ago for us.:lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, we met on a blind date for happy hour. We were enjoying ourselves so we carried on into a casual unplanned dinner at a local chain restaurant.

Still enjoying each others company 19 years later!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. Inexpensive sushi joint. He asked me to pick a place I liked and then I had to drive too because his car was too junky. The upholstery was falling off the roof so he didn't want me to mess up my hair.:roll2: Students:cool2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei that is for sure. :lol:

Methinks you must be bored DF and feel the need to stir things up.:rodent:

@Dancing Fire
Our first date cost absolutely nothing. We enjoyed a walk through Central Park at dusk. Very romantic (and risky haha as I really didn't know him) for our first date.

Second date was at a restaurant for dinner and I think it was a moderately expensive place. It was nice. But I am a cheap date as I really do not drink. At most I had a glass of wine. So he got off easy.8-)

gilmorelove.gif

I am thinking of a follow up question for you @Dancing Fire...can you read my mind and guess what it is?:cheeky:

1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I never really dated, like other couples date. I was already older, settled and in my own home that I bought myself without the help of a man, so he came here for dinners, barbecues, TV marathons, DVD movies, etc. The first time he came here for dinner was on my birthday 26 yrs. ago. My mother and my grandmother were also here for the day, and because he rarely shopped, rarely had food in his fridge and survived on take-out dinners three or four times a week, I made enough food in enough quantity and enough of an assortment to feed twelve people - at least. (A whole 14 lb. turkey, mashed potatoes with all the side veggies, a tray of baked ziti, meatballs and sausage, an enormous cannoli cake, Italian cookies, etc. ) No harm done. I LOVE a fridge full of left-over good food.

We saw each other almost every day until he moved in thirteen months later.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had the most canadian first date, a hockey game. I'm pretty sure we just ate hot dogs at the arena LOL. I mean, arena food is pretty pricey for what you get, so I guess you could say it was expensive.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
First date (2009) we met near my home for a glass of wine and DH ordered $80 bottle of wine with our appetizers (once we realized we did not need an emergency exit). Waiter tried to upsell him to $150 bottle on the Reserve list. Ambitious waiter-lol.
First dinner date (second date) was at a nicer foodie suburban restaurant---probably $100-150 tab? Nice long and relaxing meal.
But we were in our 50's and DH loves good food and wine. Different from meeting young!

And Austina---we were just talking about ladies menus! DH repeatedly grumbles that we need those because he accuses me of choosing my meal based on price.

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
It is not clear when our first date was - because neither of us is from the U.S. (Japan and Germany), the structure of "dating" in the U.S. did not seem natural to us. We were good friends for a while with a bunch of mutual friends and we were seeing other people -- but then something developed.

The first time we went out for dinner just us was low key at a casual sushi place.... (And, he even forgot his wallet :lol:)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We were both on business trips to Shanghai. Our schedule somehow coincided - later he revealed he deliberately arranged to fly into Shanghai for business meetings just so he could see me.

We met at some chi chi restaurant serving spicy chinese cuisine that catered to foreigners. There was an elderly couple (tourists) beside us. Somehow we got around to talking about some non-PC stuff and after a while we both noticed that the couple was eavesdropping.

There was an unspoken acknowledgement between us of what was happening - and then we deliberately made up some ludicrous naughty stuff, just to see how they would react. The look on their faces as they continued to eavesdrop was hilarious. We could both see shock and embarrassment as they listened to our fake conversation. We had a good laugh after that and the rest is well, history ;)2

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it bad that I can't remember our first dinner date? We were good friends for over a year before dating, and our first "date" was a (literal) walk in the park. After that we just fell in to the rhythm of doing things together as more than friends.

We've had $10 dinners and $1000 dinners. We still go on a date every Friday and it's usually low key, with a "nice" dinner about once a month.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We went to DQ for ice cream. We were 17 so we didn't really go out to dinner a whole lot. Then we kissed in his mom's car. As I recall, that was pretty much the whole date. But obviously it worked since we are married now. :p

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We first met at a coffee shop. I don't remember a dinner date. My situation was awkward, with having a 15 month old baby and an ex who refused to move out of the house.
We went for a pub meal with my parents after a couple of months. He isn't really a "foodie" person (ie he only eats certain things) so we don't really eat out at restaurants.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn't a cheap place like Denny's, and it wasn't a pricey place. It was midrange at a small hole-in-the-wall hipster bar/restaurant. I let him order for me, and picked out the most expensive item on the menu so it told me he wasn't stingy. He tipped 20%+ so that told me he took good care of his service providers. Those things mattered to me more than how expensive the overall menu is.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone else wants to experience my first date: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-tripel-playa-del-rey

It's right next to LAX airport, and I take all of my out-of-town friends who need to catch a flight there. Their Tripel burger is amazing.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah. It was $25-40/entree, and we were 22/23, so that was a lot of cash then (plus drinks). We had a steak tartar entree, so we felt super fancy, too. We went to a bar with mini golf afterwards, which was really cool.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results