shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, is seeing another woman wearing what you're wearing a bad thing today?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Also, to someone's point, even though we may wear the same outfit, we are built differently physically, so the outfit looks different when worn on a different body type.

[DF mode] ... yeah, but which one of you looks hotter? :Up_to_something:[/DF mode]

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
[DF mode] ... yeah, but which one of you looks hotter? :Up_to_something:[/DF mode]

Well, I don’t know if she frequents PS, so I’m going to say we’re equally HOT haha!

But honestly, I’m tall and athletic build, and she is small and curvy. So I think I look better in pants, and she looks better in dresses.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It never mattered to me or bothered me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember at high school in the mid 80s one mufti day the maths teacher had the exact same slinky satin shirt and stirup pants on as i
She looked like the proverbial mutton dressed up as lamb shopping at that shop !
She could have afforded much better made clothes at that !

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I think in some cases there are also contextual things that come into play. Like the occasion, how much effort you put into the look, how important those clothes and the event it happened at matters to you.

I agree that clothes generally are meant to express individuality, and if someone really puts a lot of effort into pulling a whole look come together, they spent a lot of hours preparing for this party and celebrating something that's important to them. They want to be seen as unique and be in the centre of attention. And that whole thing would be undermined if someone else showed up in the exact same outfit (and wore it better). It can be interpreted as their "thunder being stolen".

I mean, it's like making a big announcement to family members only to have someone else announce something bigger right after before they could react. Or someone showing up to your wedding wearing a wedding dress. Or you spent a long time working on a painting only to find out that it looks like another painting.

I don't think many would mind so much just on a regular day basis. I think those who are more self-conscious about how others will judge them because of this outfit clash would mind these things a lot, especially if it's a particular event where it really matters that they are viewed positively. Because they don't want to be made fun of. I have a friend who's highly self conscious and gets anxiety about how other people are judging her all the time. She'd hide in her house if there's a big zit on her face.

It's never happened to me before, but unless that person wore it intentionally to get at me, I think I'd go and be like "Hi, love your outfit, where did you get it from?" lol

Last edited:

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I’ve had this happen at what was supposedly an important function.

I show dogs, and looked high and low for a couple of new outfits to wear for showing one year at the Nationals. A conformation dog show is often considered a beauty contest for dogs by the average person, but dog showing is really far more. That’s a story in itself.

Anyhow, at dog shows, you want you and your dog to be noticed and win. Some professional handlers will wear shockingly garish outfits to stand out in a crowd. Other exhibitors will wear something that complements their dog and will bring attention to the dog. Either way, most women want to wear a tasteful and attractive outfit that looks good on them, while also separating them (and their dog) from the herd. You absolutely don’t want you or your dog to blend in. Nor do you want to look ridiculous. That’s more of a male handler thing.

Anyhow, I bought two new jackets for that big show weekend. Both looked good on me and were also a bit unique. My cream suit came from a very high end shop. A second, distinctive floral print jacket came from a store on the other end of the spectrum: K-mart. I carefully selected both of my two outfits to look good on me & also complement my dog. I felt these outfits would help me and the dog stand out from the herd.

To my great surprise, on the first day of showing, another exhibitor showed up in exactly the same bold, floral print jacket that I was wearing!!! Her dog was a half sister to the male I was showing and had the same colors and markings. Hum??? Same bold floral printed jacket and very similar looking dogs. Surely, that wouldn’t go unnoticed by anyone. But I really didn't care. I honestly never expected to be twinned at this very important dog show. However, I can’t say that I felt at all upset upon seeing “my” very carefully selected jacket on someone else. Instead, I just remember thinking, “Well, I know where she shops”. LOL.

Okay, we both did our dog show thing, and we each won a coveted 5 point Specialty Show major: me in dogs and her in bitches. After that, we had to go into the ring together (dressed like twins) for Best of Winners.

But by that point, we had talked and laughed together over how each of us had carefully picked out (just for that show) exactly the same jacket. By the time, we had to present our two dogs to the judge again for Best of Winners, we were good naturedly joking with each other about our “lucky jackets” and wondering which of the two identical jackets would be the luckiest. I got Best of Winners; so, I guess mine was. VBG. Later, we had to go back into the ring together for Stud Dog Class. My winning male and her winning female had the same sire. The daddy dog won that Stud Dog Class, but his owner was wearing a different jacket than the two of us with his offspring. Of course, we had a group photo taken afterwards. I love that photo with the two of us wearing our “lucky jackets”!!!

The whole experience ended up being an adventure and not something negative. Of course, we repeatedly complimented each other on having great taste in both dogs and in clothes. And really meant it! Although I was 25 years younger and a lot taller & thinner than my counterpart, she looked really great in the jacket, too. Plus, that specific off-the-rack jacket complemented our two dogs; which also (being half siblings) strongly resembled one and another. That jacket style and the print really was a good choice for both of us.

The next day, I wore the other (more expensive) jacket & suit that I had also purchased just for that event weekend. Plus, my “twin” from the previous day also wore a completely different jacket. Nevertheless, our dog show wins went exactly the same as the day before. We both won. At that point, we then teased each other about being disappointed that our good taste & choice in jackets probably did not make our jackets as “lucky” as we wanted to believe. The dog show was still mainly about the dogs; not about how carefully their handlers had picked out their human clothing. The two dogs won on their merits; no matter what we were wearing. Still, we each really did put a lot of thought in our individual outfits in preparation to that show weekend. So, finding ourselves "twinned" was unexpected.

Interestingly, other exhibitors thought that we had actually coordinated our jackets for that first day of the Nationals, and they were disappointed when we then wore different jackets on the second day. I never heard any hint of a whisper about “how embarrassing” from anyone about two women showing up in the “same outfit”. However, I have heard that in old movie stereotyping. So maybe the modern woman thinks differently than those in the 30’s and 40’s and even 50’s. We want to look good and feel we’re unique. But it’s no big deal if someone else shares our taste and randomly may occasionally show up at the same place in the same outfit. Unless you buy one-of-a-kind designer outfit, there is always a chance of that. However, each woman is unique in herself; so, she’s still going to look different than someone else in exactly the same outfit.

Frankly, the second group “Stud Dog” win photo with us together was not as unique (when we were wearing different jackets) as it had been the day before when we both had matching jackets. Our having matching floral jackets was so funny. Today, I hold my encounter with someone else wearing the same “outfit” as me on that special day as a fond memory.

If I were on the Red Carpet at the Oscars, perhaps I’d feel different. I probably would. That’s another world.

Maybe I’m weird, but I’ve seen others wearing something off-the-rack like I own and have actually complimented strangers on their good taste in outfits. Plus, I’ve had strangers come up to me & say that they have the same outfit (that I’m wearing) and how it looks great on me. Plus, they will continue on saying how they absolutely love their own same outfit, too.

I’ve only had that one episode where another woman and I actually showed up at the same time in exactly the same outfit. Despite starting out as a surprise, it ended up as being fun. It made the occasion rather unique and quite memorable.

BTW, the two of us also share the same first name. That made the whole thing even funnier. When things don't go as planned (especially fashion), it's best to retain sight of the bright side to the situation. There almost always is one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starbrite, I'd love it if you'd start a thread about showing dogs.
I know nothing about it and am curious.

I could google it, but would much rather get the perspective of an insider.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
really depends on the context. If they're kinda in competition (even if friends), it's claws out. It may mean they find out surprising things about someone they thought was their friend. Generally the person who minds does feels threatened in some way, the person who doesn't, well, doesn't

A situation that is definitely 100% unintentional is if it's a formal / semi-formal event and they show up in the exact same, detailed thing. Detailed / loud print kinda dress. Everyone goes to these things dressed their best so they there's no way it's intentional. Pretty much why women like black dresses. It's like the boring typical suit for men - you kind of all look the same but it's expected.

OTOH I have actually coordinated outfits / colours with colleagues lol.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't think twice about showing up to an event and finding someone wearing the same outfit. If anything I'd find it fun.

When my daughter was shopping for prom about ten years ago, she happened to find a beautiful dress she loved at Macy's. We had fun choosing it and all the accessories. She looked fantastic and had a great time at prom.
Next day I learned that two other girls wore the same dress, one in the same color!
My response was: didn't you get a picture of all of you together??

I find it ironic that traditionally, bridesmaids, your closest friends and family, are expected to wear matching outfits for an event so socially important, but any other time it's a major upset.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not quite the same but there is this occasional customer at my work that wears a ring i also own (its from the mall jewler but was never heavily promoted in catalogue or on tv)
Its a very distinctive art deco inspired ring with dark blue saphires
I don't wear mine to work
i think it makes me hapoy to see her wearing it

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To be honest, even if they did wore the exact same clothes, they wouln't look the same as me ( fit with long slim legs).

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone on here. It usually is never an issue.

However, as portrayed on TV, it seems it is almost always rivals that show up wearing the same outfit at a socially significant event.

I assume that is pretty rare unless on purpose and then the *intent* is the main faux pas, not the matching outfits.

If the TV showed friends that weren't mad at each other that day, it would have to show them laughing about it and taking pictures together. But that doesn't make good drama.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results