shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies: in what areas can you put the men to shame?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1297224835|2847295 said:
suchende|1297211173|2847018 said:
Hmm... passing housework to my SO? :mrgreen:

BF does all the vacuuming, most of the cooking, and the laundry. I'm as good as/better than many of my guy friends at acting helpless until SO comes to my domestic rescue :D

Yeah, this is one of my more advanced skills too.

OH I've got another.

My husband NEVER EVER EVER checks his bills. Restuarant, medical, gas station, phone, cable. Nope, just pays the amount without looking to see if the charges are correct. I have saved us thousands (I'm not exagerrating, reviewing medical bills especially can save you bank!) by just READING a bill.

You know, I did that the other day and it really did save me money! I have to replace carpet in a room in my parents house and honestly saved myself around $100 by reading the bill and checking the prices listed against the ones advertised, and comparing the original quote to the new one and finding discrepancies. (The biggest change being going from being charged almost $100 for installation to $39 since they're running a special that they didn't apply to my quote!) It's definitely something I'll make more of a habit of from now on.

As far as the subject...well, I've tried writing this post a few times, but what it comes down to is I'm more comfortable dealing with truckers and being on dock at ports than most guys. I love putting on a hard hat and getting out in the yard, scaling BIG pieces of machinery and seeing how things work, or touring the engine rooms of huge ships. I love that stuff, and most of the guys I know are very much office-y type guys. I definitely prefer that in a guy, lol, but it makes for a fun dynamic sometimes.

Also, I'm pretty darn handy! I can build (basic) furniture, I can do minor toilet repairs, find studs by knocking on the wall instead of using a stud finder, and am pretty comfortable around (some) power tools.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1297224656|2847292 said:
I don't know if this is a female or a male thing. But I can usually kick arse when it comes to researching things. In our household my husband is research deficient, so I do put HIM to shame.

Yeah, I don't know that this is a typical guy thing to do, but I'm way better at researching things than my husband is. I'm always the one to do it before we buy something.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm really good at reading instructions/blueprints (not sure if this is a guy thing or not because most guys I know will just toss them aside and try to figure it out on their own).

I can build Ikea furniture in 15 minutes. I was 8 when my dad started to get me to assemble BBQs for him since I was better at it than he was. I assembled and wired all of the outdoor lighting at my parent's house. At work I've had to read over plans for various systems and I seem to have a better grasp of scale and orientation than my male coworkers.

On a side note, I love men's watches specifically because there are so many options. I'm giving DH a new watch for his birthday and he doesn't understand why I wanted to spend more for automatic movement. He's getting his quartz watch, but I still wanted to look at the automatic with the clear back! Would you consider buying a men's watch and switching out the band for something more feminine? My casual weekend watch has a body used for a mens model with a white leather strap. Its a different look.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like we have a very talented group of women on PS. :praise:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Directions! I am far better at either finding my way out of a paper bag, OR finding my way (on my own, from experience) out of "wilderness"--and yes, there is some around where I grew up--than any male I've ever met except my dad. He taught me, and my older brother, so many things about nature and signals that giving directions or finding things is second nature to me. People are usually kind of amazed by it. Also, I can parallel park like nobody's business--my first car was a '79 Cadillac and that b*tch was 18 feet long. Now, no matter what size car/truck/SUV I drive, I have the utmost confidence and can eyeball and squeeze into any available space. For realz.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1297265683|2847590 said:
I can:
Out train/ride just about any horse than most guys.
Out clean stalls. I can do a 40 stall barn in about an hour.
I can seriously finish a beer funnel. I win most funnel races. I've only been beaten by one person so far.
I can out fish most men. No really. I can. I am known in my family as the fishing queen. I have had one fishing trip EVER when I didn't at least hook a fish. We broke a boat that trip anyways.
I can out drive some men. Especially trucks, and atvs.

DF--none of this surprises me. From one "homegrown" gal to another: you rock! (Wait, except for the beer funnel part, because I don't even know what that is...but I'm not a beer chugger although I DO like beer.)
Fishing--do you fly fish? I'm in the process of learning and want to try my hand at it this summer. They make some serious waders and vests for chicks! Awesome!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a bad ass at being a dominant and authoritative person ;)) Does that count?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1297268273|2847625 said:
Gypsy|1297224835|2847295 said:
My husband NEVER EVER EVER checks his bills. Restuarant, medical, gas station, phone, cable. Nope, just pays the amount without looking to see if the charges are correct. I have saved us thousands (I'm not exagerrating, reviewing medical bills especially can save you bank!) by just READING a bill.

You know, I did that the other day and it really did save me money! I have to replace carpet in a room in my parents house and honestly saved myself around $100 by reading the bill and checking the prices listed against the ones advertised, and comparing the original quote to the new one and finding discrepancies. (The biggest change being going from being charged almost $100 for installation to $39 since they're running a special that they didn't apply to my quote!) It's definitely something I'll make more of a habit of from now on.

Princess, you will be so happy you did. It's funny for me considering how often I find things that need adjusting that DH STILL doesn't check his bill, but he doesn't and I still find things.

For his back surgery we had three thousand dollars in charges that his insurance didn't cover (THREE THOUSAND!!!!) and all I did I was asked to see an itemized bill before handing over my debit card. Well, it took literally two minutes to see that they didn't charge MY insurance as well.

And BAM! My insurance coverred nearly ALL the remainder. Ridiculous.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can swear a sailor, a trucker, and a lumberjack under the table. without a m*therf*cking doubt.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1297331034|2848345 said:
I can swear a sailor, a trucker, and a lumberjack under the table. without a m*therf*cking doubt.

ROFL! Love it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Driving. And, maybe, shooting. :rodent:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an expert car detailer. I have my own professional polisher which I am very proficient at using, I can bring weathered paint up really well. I can polish out some scratches ( which aren't too deep to remove), touch up paintwork, in fact go over a whole car and make it look great. Hubby loves this skill of mine especially when the car gets complimented but he is very good at giving me the credit. :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1297316069|2848277 said:
dragonfly411|1297265683|2847590 said:
I can:
Out train/ride just about any horse than most guys.
Out clean stalls. I can do a 40 stall barn in about an hour.
I can seriously finish a beer funnel. I win most funnel races. I've only been beaten by one person so far.
I can out fish most men. No really. I can. I am known in my family as the fishing queen. I have had one fishing trip EVER when I didn't at least hook a fish. We broke a boat that trip anyways.
I can out drive some men. Especially trucks, and atvs.

DF--none of this surprises me. From one "homegrown" gal to another: you rock! (Wait, except for the beer funnel part, because I don't even know what that is...but I'm not a beer chugger although I DO like beer.)
Fishing--do you fly fish? I'm in the process of learning and want to try my hand at it this summer. They make some serious waders and vests for chicks! Awesome!

Monarch - I mostly salt water fish. We don't have many areas where fly fishing would be successful in my area of FL. I would really like to learn how. I bass fish some with my dad, and I am awesome at catching speckled perch and sun fish. But I am the QUEEN of the ocean. Trout, red fishing, cast netting for mullet. I'm really really good at catching flounder. I know where they like to lurk. Sea bass, and what we call "grunts" (baby drums), black drum (I have a picture of me with one I'll post tonight, he was really awesome to reel in), sheep head, jack caravel fish, I once hooked a huge mahi but he broke my line, tarpon, grouper. I love salt water fishing. I once caught a 32 in. mullet with a 3 foot kiddy fishing pole and a bread crumb in fresh water. Generally they don't bite fishing lines at all. I had him mounted b/c I'm a dork. Fly fishing would be awesome, and I envy you for getting to learn! Hopefully I'll make a trip further north and learn at some point. I have seen the waders and vests and would totally die to have some. I'm going to get waders anyways for frog gigging and for when I start duck hunting, but that's another thread.
The beer funnel... lol It's a funnel, and there is a tube attached and you turn a nob and it releases the beer so you chug it or choke.

OH I can out spot Frogs while Frog gigging. I am the frog spotter for SO and his friends.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1297350306|2848436 said:
I am an expert car detailer. I have my own professional polisher which I am very proficient at using, I can bring weathered paint up really well. I can polish out some scratches ( which aren't too deep to remove), touch up paintwork, in fact go over a whole car and make it look great. Hubby loves this skill of mine especially when the car gets complimented but he is very good at giving me the credit. :)

Wanna come by? My winter car is totally trashed, and it could use a good thorough cleaning! :rodent:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1297357800|2848525 said:

Wanna come by? My winter car is totally trashed, and it could use a good thorough cleaning! :rodent:

Seriously, I think if we could collaboratively use the talents of the women of PS, we could live in a world without men! (Minus that pesky sperm donation thing...)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would love to Tuckies, I would make your car sparkle inside and out! :D

LOL @ Tgal! I think we would do fine wouldn't we? :praise:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1297358404|2848531 said:

Seriously, I think if we could collaboratively use the talents of the women of PS, we could live in a world without men! (Minus that pesky sperm donation thing...)

Lol... A minor speed bump. I'm sure we could figure out something.... ::)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I used to be able to out-drink most guys. At college parties, I would be doing shots of vodka while the boys were drinking their beers. One of my close friends was Russian. One night at a club, we started with mixed drinks, did 8 shots (each) of vodka so we could try all the premium flavors, and then chased it with a bottle of Cristal champagne the club owner gave us.

After taking time off to have a baby and two years of subsequent sleep deprivation, I have lost a lot of my tolerance.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gals, you ARE talented.

When I came to this country, I assembled cheap furniture for my studio. Cheap furnuture usually comes with parts missing, or broken, so I could fix it and did a much better job than my male friends (or my husband, definitely my husband).

I definitely can outwork any man. I work 11 - 12 hours a day. Can put in more, if needed.

I can not outburp or outdrink any man, but I have this funny trait. I can move my ears, and no man in my family can do it. I also can roll my tongue along the midline, in a tube. It is funny to observe guys around you trying to repeat the trick and failing.

I think my tolerance of pain is higher than any man's. I was driving my car and went out to work a week after my C-section. We had to pay the mortgage. My husband's salary was not enough.

And...sorry... Don't know if it counts, but you said, "put the men to shame" ...I can tell inappropriate jokes, or recite "bad" verses funnier than any man.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally forgot - I am a great marksman/markswoman. I do not keep a gun in the house, nor hunt, but at a rifle range, I shoot better than any man.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am IMPRESSED!!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
This thread kicks some serious butt.

I am a mechanical engineer. DH is a chemical engineer. I grew up around a DIY weekend warrior. He didn't. Therefore I was building little toy wooden boats to put in my paddling pool when I was 6 (who lets a 6 year old have a hammer and nails??) and he wasn't. When I "left the nest" my father gave me a tool box with all of the basics and some extras inside (still use it now, too). I realized my excellence in everything tool and home renovation related (compared to DH) when we bought a house together. ESPECIALLY when we renovated our bathroom. Who changed out the plumbing? Me. Who rocked at skim coating and taping the seams in the drywall? Me. Who laid the tile for the shower AND the floor? Me. Who measured, bought, painted, and installed ALL of the trim in that bathroom? Me. Given he had his place in it too but whenever we have to do something around the house (or apartment as it is now) I am the first to step up to the plate. I chalk it up to his father not being a real DIY enthusiast. His parents paid people to do stuff for them. My dad made his own furniture, deck, flooring, etc. I can't recall a contractor/builder being in our house since I was 5 and my parents put an addition on the house.

My DH is turning into a great cook, though. In fact, he just finished up making pad Thai. From scratch. :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results