shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies: in what areas can you put the men to shame?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for fun...

Reason for question: I am looking at watches right now. I'm interested in the mechanical aspect of it, but this area is dominated by men, and in fact many of these watch manufacturers don't bother because the perception is that women aren't interested. So a high end watch has quartz...not a lot of options for women. And I see this comment everywhere on watch forums...women just aren't into it (which is probably true).

So I was thinking...aren't women gadgety too? Aren't some of us more knowledgeable about cars then our men? Technology? Programming the DVR? :rodent:

In what "typical" male dominated areas are you very knowledgeable?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and men, feel free to list what typical women's area where you have tons of knowledge...the obvious being jewelry, since you are on PS after all!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I can out-eat a lot of guys. :bigsmile: claim to fame: vegas- bellagio buffet, 13 plates, 12 desserts, 3 soups, 3 drinks. Total time: 3.5 hrs. (they're supposed to kick you out after 3 hrs but it was a slow night and our server wanted to see how much we can actually eat. he got a great big fat tip because we took up a lot of his time!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1297186147|2846659 said:
I can out-eat a lot of guys. :bigsmile: claim to fame: vegas- bellagio buffet, 13 plates, 12 desserts, 3 soups, 3 drinks. Total time: 3.5 hrs. (they're supposed to kick you out after 3 hrs but it was a slow night and our server wanted to see how much we can actually eat. he got a great big fat tip because we took up a lot of his time!)

Hehehe! That's funny.

This isn't a "gadgety" area, but I drink scotch, neat (or with a bit of water). Most men I know mix it with soda...even the good stuff! :knockout:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.

I can beat most men in most card games, ranging from Magic the Gathering to Texas Hold Em.
I used to do competitive martial arts, so I can actually throw a punch better than most guys, and I appreciate MMA fights.

In general I have a lot of "male" interests: computers, video games, comics. Haha, ok, so I have a lot of the geeky male interests.
Haha, yeah, in my learning group at school (6 girls, 8 boys), I am the go-to tech person for computer help.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I eat like a linebacker. The only other person who can out eat me is my brother. I can function like normal on little to no sleep for days/weeks/months. I think I get that from my parents. I wake up instantly and can do whatever-I don't need to sit and "wake up" or have coffee. I can hide pain and deal with pain. A lot of that I attribute to being female and a mom.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I can chug a beer like nobody's business and take a shot like a man! I don't know if I can do it BETTER, but the boys are always impressed! :sun:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know how to put a public open space and covert digital CCTV surveillance system together and link it via telemetry to a control room an emergency command centre. I even know what sort of window treatments will stop blast damage inside said centre. I can train operating staff to gather evidential quality surveillance footage and can carry out a critical / fatal incident debrief with them after a major incident. Does that count as gadgetry? I only did it once (weirdest job I ever had, but I did learn new stuff).

ETA ask me anything about the comparative merits of co-axial, Cat5 and fibre optic transmission. :bigsmile: I also learned that if you're putting any of these options under roads and sidewalks, you need to factor in some time and budget for replacing the tarmac. Do that part fast, before anyone notices there is cable of some sort lying unattended. You would not believe what people will actually steal. Like I say, it was a learning curve.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I tend to be the "handier" one in my relationship when it comes to the house or our vehicles. Though DH did finally learn how to change the oil in our lawn mower this summer.

I'm also freakishly strong. When I was rock climbing regularly, I could beat my husband at arm-wresting. I can also lift our 150 lb. paralyzed dog into the Jeep myself (husband can't). And when DH are annoyed with each other, we "wrestle it out". I usually pin him before he can pin me, but he claims it's because I'm small and wily.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Most of the power tools in our house are mine. DH can use them, but they were gifted to me by various family members. I can build and refinish furniture. I can drywall. I am a helluva shot on a rifle and shotgun. I can and have out drank lots of men. I can drink an entire bottle of whiskey, vodka, schnapps, etc in one evening without a problem. I don't do that so much anymore though. Not so appealing to a mother of two. lol

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Home improvement, plumbing, building things etc. I'm the one with the tool box at our house. :bigsmile:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm an engineer - a computer hardware engineer at that - and it's a very male dominated field. Then again, I've only been in the industry for less than a year, so my knowledge isn't exactly vast. I'm still better at it than some of the men who have been here longer :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FK... :o then how do you stay so slim?.. :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1297187903|2846689 said:
I tend to be the "handier" one in my relationship when it comes to the house or our vehicles. Though DH did finally learn how to change the oil in our lawn mower this summer.

I'm also freakishly strong. When I was rock climbing regularly, I could beat my husband at arm-wresting. I can also lift our 150 lb. paralyzed dog into the Jeep myself (husband can't). And when DH are annoyed with each other, we "wrestle it out". I usually pin him before he can pin me, but he claims it's because I'm small and wily.
NEL
:-o ..i ain't messing with you.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can outburp anyone--man, woman, or child. I won the all-camp burping contests every year growing up. :bigsmile:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1297193978|2846783 said:
FK... :o then how do you stay so slim?.. :confused:

i work out. but i also dont always eat like that!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My DH is a very handy man. He's the fixer in our house....except when it comes to cleaning up dead birds/rodents/spiders/any creepy animal. Im way better at that kinda stuff, and he squeals like a little girl.

Im also much better at painting, caulking, and tiling.

I like to think im pretty good at holding my alcohol, but that's just because I don't puke, I just black out after a crap load of shots and beer chasers.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I'm unreal at parking. Especially parallel parking. I can parallel park anything into any space (as long as the car will physically fit that is!). Men are usually surprised at that.
(Didn't we have a discussion here once about men who see a woman about to park and start directing her into the space, assuming she can't do it on her own? I know they're trying to be nice but it drives me bonkers!)
I can drink a lot. But I'm Irish, we all can :cheeky:
I'm handy with power tools. I have no problem putting up shelves/units etc.
I LOVE gadgets.
As a hobby I like to build amateur electrical circuits that will do handy things around my house etc. Clapper switches for lights, parking sensors for the cars those kinds of things.
And I have an awful habit of cursing like a sailor.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I can out-eat most guys. I'm also reigning buffet champ in the family, out-eating all my cousins. (Fortekitty, Packrat, we need to have a eating contest)

I can also out-drink most guys. It takes at least 7-8 shots of hard liquor to get me to feel a "buzz" (Bleed Burnt Orange....drink challenge!)

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... passing housework to my SO? :mrgreen:

BF does all the vacuuming, most of the cooking, and the laundry. I'm as good as/better than many of my guy friends at acting helpless until SO comes to my domestic rescue :D

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Texas Hold Em. I am the only girl to play in tournaments during our family reunions and I usually take all the cash from the fellas :sun:

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I can assemble, install, level and play billiards :bigsmile:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I'm the fix-er person between my DH and I. And he's the mechanical engineer!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Porridge|1297208544|2846966 said:
I can drink a lot. But I'm Irish, we all can :cheeky:
:lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this is a female or a male thing. But I can usually kick arse when it comes to researching things. In our household my husband is research deficient, so I do put HIM to shame.

He does laundry much better than I do though. Of course... I've never had any reason to put effort into fixing that either as it means I don't do laundry often.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
suchende|1297211173|2847018 said:
Hmm... passing housework to my SO? :mrgreen:

BF does all the vacuuming, most of the cooking, and the laundry. I'm as good as/better than many of my guy friends at acting helpless until SO comes to my domestic rescue :D

Yeah, this is one of my more advanced skills too.

OH I've got another.

My husband NEVER EVER EVER checks his bills. Restuarant, medical, gas station, phone, cable. Nope, just pays the amount without looking to see if the charges are correct. I have saved us thousands (I'm not exagerrating, reviewing medical bills especially can save you bank!) by just READING a bill.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Oh I thought of another. I can lift pretty heavy. When I was a working out with a trainer I was pretty easily doing 130lb squats and 110lb benches. Granted that's pretty standard for most guys, but there's also a fair amount of men in the world that can't lift that. ::)

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I am a nerd, through and through... I know more about computers than most boys do.

I am an utter engine freak. I'm the only girl I know who knows the difference between a a turbo-charged vs a super-charged engine... Most men I know can't tell the difference.

As you've probably gathered from my nickname, I am a Trekkie. And yes, I do speak Klingon.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I can:
Out train/ride just about any horse than most guys.
Out clean stalls. I can do a 40 stall barn in about an hour.
I can seriously finish a beer funnel. I win most funnel races. I've only been beaten by one person so far.
I can out fish most men. No really. I can. I am known in my family as the fishing queen. I have had one fishing trip EVER when I didn't at least hook a fish. We broke a boat that trip anyways.
I can out drive some men. Especially trucks, and atvs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results