shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, I need your honest opinion here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
I know this subject, much like almost every other one here, has been beaten to death on this board, but I really need to ask you ladies something. What, in your opinion, is more desirable in a diamond, assuming it has an ideal cut: size or color?

Let me put it this way, for around the same price I can either get a .90 carat H color diamond, or a 1.05 carat I color diamond. Would the difference in color be at all noticable to justify the size cut and/or any mental percetion you might get for having a diamond that's technically under a carat? I want it to be white, but I don't want to spend a $1000/ct. price premium for an H color diamond if you can't even tell the difference between an H color and an I color. However if there is a noticable difference, I would rather get her a slightly smaller white diamond vs. a larger yellow diamond. What do you ladies think, I need advice bad here LOL!

Jess

Rough_Rock
Ok, you have heard from me so many times on here, but since you are so desperate for help, I will give you my opinion again. I hope you arent getting tired of me! I would go for the .95 I. I don't think there is THAT much difference in .1 of a carat to really justify paying mre to go to the 1.05 mark just for the size. In either case it is ABOUT a carat. Even though I don't have a problem with I colored stones, you are sure not to see any yellow in an H and that might be your peace of mind, not the size. Good luck, and let us know what you get!:wavey:

Jess

Rough_Rock
Wait, are these the same diamonds from the other question? If I were you I would go with the cheapest (which I think was the 1-1.05, right?) I would not pay more for the extra carat weight though.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Yeah, those are the same scenario diamonds. Sorry for the repetition, but my browser crashed after I hit send and I thought it didn't go through. My bad. Thanks for the advice on the carat size. I've realized as of late that I have plenty more options in the .90-.99 carat range, and I just wanted to make sure the size technicality wasn't noticable and/or looked down upon. What's better is that I can get an H color AND an Ideal cut in that size range, so that pretty much solves everything. Thanks for your patience too, trust me I won't get sick of repetetive advice, I'm just afraid you'll get sick of me asking the same questions with different twists on them LOL! Really, thanks a lot! The decision is final!

Jess

Rough_Rock
Babylon,
I don't actually get to participate in the buying of a diamond--that is his job and what he picks will be treasured by me, so here I am, surfing this forum and attempting to participate in SOMEONE'S decision! I love more posts--never get sick of it! I am glad you have come to a decision. It's not every guy that will admit his desperation to strangers in order to get something for his woman! She is a lucky girl! Good luck!
:appl:

Audrey

Rough_Rock
Hi:
It is funny how only men give you an advice but here is mine.
I know you don’t know what to do…
And you really don’t want to do the wrong thing…
But I just want you to know that don’t forget to give her a very, very nice kiss an a beautiful flower, one or a bunch of flowers :love: and tell her that she is the light of your life!!!!
OK?

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Definately COLOR, not size. No one likes a big, yellow diamond.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
I agree wholeheartedly Bedazzled! That's the last thing I want. What would you recommend BTW? I was thinking of an H, but I'm open to all opinions on this. Thanks!

Jess

Rough_Rock
I'm a girl, by the way...Just picked the football player for lack of any other pic that represented me and because my honey just finished his 4th year of college football:love: ...
I know it's off the subject, but there you go!

Oh yeah, if you have the $$ and want to make for sure that you are comfortable with the color, go for H

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
LOL! I think that's pretty cool Jess. So you're actually saying that H is well into the comfort zone for white color? I thought I would have to go to G to get that kind of security. Well that settles it then! Here I am thinking that H was on the borderline, and you're saying it's more than well enough. Thanks for the info! The color thing was the last thing that I wasn't fully set on, so I think that about does it. I always thought that G's had too much of a price premium anyway! Thanks Jess, you're a lifesaver!

Jess

Rough_Rock
Thanks!!! Now, remember, I am not an expert... I don't think I can tell a G from an H. I think you will be more than happy with H, but don't blame me if you aren't!!! Just trying to cover my butt here! No, really. Most of the experts say H is completely safe. You have to come back and update us all when you make the final leap and put up the cash! Good luck!
:appl:

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Well, that might take a while to say the least :) To be pefectly honest I don't plan to do this until at least a year from now. I don't even know why I'm going over every detail so early in the game. Somehow, a few months ago, I got interested in the whole engagement ring thing. I don't know how or why, but I got hooked, and when I get hooked on something I have to play it out until the very end or until I've learned all there is to learn about it. I can't believe all the info I've soaked up over the past several weeks, lots of it thanks to you guys! I know that when I do buy her the ring, it will be the most gorgeous thing she has ever seen (up to now, the best rock she's ever seen is a one carat Leo diamond which I'm not really impressed with). And to think that without the internet and a forum like this, I'd be buying lifeless mall jeweler junk! Thanks for all your help guys!

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is an F. I was hooked on having a colorless stone.

But, I do have G stones in my wedding band. They are set in a bar setting, so that you can not see the sides of the stones, which is where you might see the yellow.

synapse

Rough_Rock
Agree with bedazzled, unless the rock is poorly cut you can't tell subtle color differences from the top down. But from the side is where you can absolutely see the color. Take your setting into serious consideration.

missy430

Rough_Rock
I say go for the "I" stone. As long as its cut good!
Both H & I are almost the same.

csanders

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I know this is kind of technical, but follow me here...
(I hope I know what I'm talking about???)(* I think I do..)

You need to look at the depth% and mm measurements for the two stone you are looking at. You could POSSIBLY have a .90 stone and a 1.05 stone that are exactly the same size(or just about). In that case you could go with the .90 stone H and it would look just like the 1.05 I stone. (That's why jewelers say to buy "shy" of a carat).
Just remember - (if you stay within a good proportion depth% - cut wise) The smaller the depth %, the larger the diamond will look to the eye - i.e., all the weight won't be in the bottom of the stone)
Sorry if you already knew this!
(If I am wrong on this someone please let me know!

GOOD LUCK!:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results