shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, I need some opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
So I am a few hours from making the most important purchase of my life...I was all ready to put a deposit on a diamond and am having last minute second thoughts (on the diamond, not the girl!)

This is the diamond that I am ready to purchase from WF:

. Report: AGS
. Shape: Whiteflash ACA
. Carat: 1.003
. Depth %: 60.9
. Table %: 56.9
. Crown Angle: 34.6
. Crown %: 14.9
. Star : 53
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.7
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.42-6.44X3.92
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

I love the stone and was dead set on a WF ACA diamond. It will be set in a WF Classic Tiffany Style Knife Edge setting. A picture is attached.

Only a few hours before I place the deposit, I am wondering if I should be putting more thought into size and less into color. I found another diamond on Blue Nile:

Carat weight: 1.60
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 60.2%
Table %: 59%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong blue
Measurements: 7.62 x 7.59 x 4.58 mm

Of course, the J color is the big issue. I have read lots of contradicting information on how fluorescence helps out H, I, and J colors in natural light. I also know that an Ideal cut can minimize the visibility of color. Normally, I am not one to compromise quality but this is a 60% increase in size. That is huge! This size stone looks much more impressive in a solitaire tiffany style setting. The prices are a few hundred $''s apart so it is really not part of the equation. Both diamonds are ''eye clean'' and have no structure compromising inclusions.

So ladies...please help! What is a guy to do?!
32.gif

Expert Wannabe 40x.jpg

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
As long as the cut quality is supreme a J will look very bright face up. You will probably only see warmth at the pavillion angle. Having a higher color grade doesn't make it better quality, only more rare. I think the beauty of a stone is how it performs (sparkle, scintillation, etc) Just my .02 :) I have an I color diamond that I LOVE! It is a GREAT cut and it sparkles like crazy. It's a cushion so you usually can see color more than in RBs, but I would definitley consider going to a J in a RB. I think CUT is THE MOST IMPORTANT in any stone :)

ETA: I have to say though, I saw the diamond you're looking at on BN and it only gets a 4.2 on the Cut Adviser, so I'm not sure if it will be as fiery as the one from WF. I think the WF stone has a better cut.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the other numbers of the BN stone?

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:48:02 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
What are the other numbers of the BN stone?

These are the numbers from the GIA report.

Copy of Expert Wannabe GIA.JPG

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:46:35 PM
Author: vgirl17
As long as the cut quality is supreme a J will look very bright face up. You will probably only see warmth at the pavillion angle. Having a higher color grade doesn''t make it better quality, only more rare. I think the beauty of a stone is how it performs (sparkle, scintillation, etc) Just my .02 :) I have an I color diamond that I LOVE! It is a GREAT cut and it sparkles like crazy. It''s a cushion so you usually can see color more than in RBs, but I would definitley consider going to a J in a RB. I think CUT is THE MOST IMPORTANT in any stone :)

ETA: I have to say though, I saw the diamond you''re looking at on BN and it only gets a 4.2 on the Cut Adviser, so I''m not sure if it will be as fiery as the one from WF. I think the WF stone has a better cut.

If that is the case, I''d definitely go for the WF ACA, no question!

sazza

Rough_Rock
I''m a little iffy on strong fluorescence if I can''t see the stone. Maybe try James Allen to stay within your price range? They have a pricescope discount too.

1.55 I-SI1

1.52 H Si1

With that being said my ring is a 1 carat and I like it :)

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
As long as the cut quality is supreme a J will look very bright face up. You will probably only see warmth at the pavillion angle. Having a higher color grade doesn''t make it better quality, only more rare. I think the beauty of a stone is how it performs (sparkle, scintillation, etc) Just my .02 :) I have an I color diamond that I LOVE! It is a GREAT cut and it sparkles like crazy. It''s a cushion so you usually can see color more than in RBs, but I would definitley consider going to a J in a RB. I think CUT is THE MOST IMPORTANT in any stone :)

ETA: I have to say though, I saw the diamond you''re looking at on BN and it only gets a 4.2 on the Cut Adviser, so I''m not sure if it will be as fiery as the one from WF. I think the WF stone has a better cut.

Thanks for the input! This is the issue that I''m having. I recognize that they are both nice diamonds but the WF one is clearly a better quality stone. I just don''t know if she would rather have an incredibly bright stone or a huge (by my standards) stone that is still high quality.

She is absolutely incredible and I want to make sure that I am getting her an e-ring that she will fall in love with. She is the kind of girl that will be happy with whatever I give her. That is why I want to get her the best!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think there are other factors to consider. You started off looking at a 1ct, now you are looking at 1.6ct. Does your intended like bigger diamonds? Can you afford the bigger stone? Does she have big or small fingers? A 1ct is substantial enough but looks even bigger on small fingers.

I wouldn''t rush into buying your diamond until you are sure you know exactly what look you are aiming for.
1.gif

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:03:59 PM
Author: sazza
I''m a little iffy on strong fluorescence if I can''t see the stone. Maybe try James Allen to stay within your price range? They have a pricescope discount too.

1.55 I-SI1

1.52 H Si1

With that being said my ring is a 1 carat and I like it :)

Me too. I had a rep at BN check it out to assure that it is not ''cloudy''. I would also have to purchase from BN and have WF do the setting.

The attached stones are nice but are unfortunately a little out of my price range. Thank you for your input!

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:05:38 PM
Author: Maisie
I think there are other factors to consider. You started off looking at a 1ct, now you are looking at 1.6ct. Does your intended like bigger diamonds? Can you afford the bigger stone? Does she have big or small fingers? A 1ct is substantial enough but looks even bigger on small fingers.

I wouldn''t rush into buying your diamond until you are sure you know exactly what look you are aiming for.
1.gif

Ha, I know what you mean but I was sure until today! I have been searching and shopping for about 4 months now. I was completely set on a 1 CT, WF ACA diamond. This silly 1.6 impulse thing just came about today.

Her finger is a 6.5

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:00:27 PM
Author: Expert Wannabe

These are the numbers from the GIA report.
I would pass on this one, you could find a larger diamond with better specs, a pavilion angle that steep is undesirable in a J colour also.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock

1.gif
I agree. If you aren''t 100% positive I would hold off. What is the color grade of the WF stone? If it was between these two stones I would stick with WF because of cut quality alone, but if you could find the same cut quality in a lower color grade that would be the best of both worlds :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:12:29 PM

1.gif

Ha, I know what you mean but I was sure until today! I have been searching and shopping for about 4 months now. I was completely set on a 1 CT, WF ACA diamond. This silly 1.6 impulse thing just came about today.

Her finger is a 6.5
What about maybe considering a middleground - perhaps G or H colour from WF or one of the other vendors who offer an upgrade policy, then if you think she might want a larger diamond later you can do so.

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock

How much faith do you guys generally place on the cut adviser? The WF diamond is a .8. Maybe that is my clear indication that these two diamonds are not even in the same ballpark. I was under the impression that the 1.6 CT stone was still a great cut. Judging by the cut adviser, it is not at all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:29:10 PM

As long as the cut quality is supreme a J will look very bright face up. You will probably only see warmth at the pavillion angle. Having a higher color grade doesn't make it better quality, only more rare. I think the beauty of a stone is how it performs (sparkle, scintillation, etc) Just my .02 :) I have an I color diamond that I LOVE! It is a GREAT cut and it sparkles like crazy. It's a cushion so you usually can see color more than in RBs, but I would definitley consider going to a J in a RB. I think CUT is THE MOST IMPORTANT in any stone :)

ETA: I have to say though, I saw the diamond you're looking at on BN and it only gets a 4.2 on the Cut Adviser, so I'm not sure if it will be as fiery as the one from WF. I think the WF stone has a better cut.

How much faith do you guys generally place on the cut adviser? The WF diamond is a .8. Maybe that is my clear indication that these two diamonds are not even in the same ballpark. I was under the impression that the 1.6 CT stone was still a great cut. Judging by the cut adviser, it is not at all.
The cut advisor is for rejection not selection. A lower score isn't better than a higher one, the aim is to score below 2 in the majority of cases then evaluate from there. If you have images such as ASET and all the other info available, this trumps the HCA anyway. With that larger diamond which scored 4.2, I would pass on that one, it does not have effective proportions.

Expert Wannabe

Rough_Rock
Hearts. That is everything I have on the WF diamond. I am realizing that my original diamond is the better decision. There may be a few ways to sacrifice a color point or two for .1 CT in weight but in the end, this is an incredible diamond and I think it is the one that will make her the happiest. Yes, .6 CT extra is a nice leap but the sacrifice in cut quality and color are not worth it.

Thank you everyone for your great input!! I will be sure to post pics once the ring is ordered. This is my first thread but I have been lurking here for months. The information on this forum is invaluable. Thank you!

Expert Wannabe Hearts.jpg

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the ACA you have picked out. It looks like it''ll be absolutely gorgeous. The other stone may be larger, but it''s going to be a lot less lively.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA is a beauty! Thank you for your very kind words also concerning the quality of the info offered, the old time PSers work hard to keep RT an excellent resource for the new buyer.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:43:14 PM
Hearts. That is everything I have on the WF diamond. I am realizing that my original diamond is the better decision. There may be a few ways to sacrifice a color point or two for .1 CT in weight but in the end, this is an incredible diamond and I think it is the one that will make her the happiest. Yes, .6 CT extra is a nice leap but the sacrifice in cut quality and color are not worth it.

Thank you everyone for your great input!! I will be sure to post pics once the ring is ordered. This is my first thread but I have been lurking here for months. The information on this forum is invaluable. Thank you!
Congratulations! Great choice.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi expert wannabe :)

there seems to be a lot of ground between the two stones you posted. in the same way, there''s a lot of ladies whose taste would fit in between those parameters. so i agree with those who suggest you have a talk with your girl to find where her heart sits.

obviously your second stone is a trade off for size; best check with your almost-fiancee to find out what she values.

as for size, my finger is a size 8, and a 1 ct stone looks small on me. on the other hand (so to speak!) i''ve seen women with tiny hands on whom a 1 ct stone looks huge and gives great finger coverage. size 6.5 is kind of in the middle, so i''d really be checking on this to see which way she leans. there''s some beautiful stones around 1.25 - 1.3ct out there for example which might fit your budget and give you good specs and stats while still giving her a little more finger coverage.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results