shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies from Perth AU, please help!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies,
I know there are a few from Perth here so hopefully someone can help.

My house was broken into about a month ago, and amongst other things my entire jewellery box was stolen. Now the only jewellery I own is my AVC engagement ring and my wedding band that is a fairly heirloom (thank god!!!!) as this is all I was wearing when the break in happened - everything else gone!!

So I am dealing with my insurance company atm, and would prefer a cash settlement so I can source replacement items myself however they don't seem particularly keen on this and have said I can choose my own jeweller to have a store credit with. Not sure how this will pan out but if this is the only way I can go, I need a suggestion of where to go as I have bought all my 'good' items from overseas.

I don't even know what I would be after in terms of replacement items as most of the stuff that was stolen was sentimental value, things that cannot be replaced so I don't think I would bother with 'like for like'. So just looking for suggestions of somewhere that would be worthwhile.

Thank you

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience (I'm a queenslander!) - each case is obviously different but they can cash settle. Tell them you refuse to spend your insurance money in any one local (and poor quality store) and intend to take your time sourcing pieces again so to make the process simple and smooth you would prefer a cash settlement. Aka to speak to the manager. May I ask which insurance company?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
laurenk|1455789127|3992484 said:
In my experience (I'm a queenslander!) - each case is obviously different but they can cash settle. Tell them you refuse to spend your insurance money in any one local (and poor quality store) and intend to take your time sourcing pieces again so to make the process simple and smooth you would prefer a cash settlement. Aka to speak to the manager. May I ask which insurance company?

I'm so so sorry that happened to you. ;(

I'm in Perth and although not born and bred, I'd struggle to pick a jeweller here to replace anything I've owned previously.

My good pieces of jewellery are predominately from the US from the many recommended vendors here on PS.

I would stick to laurenk's good advice. Keep pushing for cash and then I'd look into PS recommended vendors from the US or even on the preloved forum/DB/LT and try and make your funds go further with the horrendous current exchange rate.

I hope you get a positive resolution very soon.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Ps

I'd avoid store credit if at all possible. You are stuck with one place and no room for negotiation on price either I'd bet. Having visited a few jewellers recently they are all up for discounts. Think they are struggling in the current economic climate.

Cash is your best bet.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Would they allow you to pick an Aussie online vendor? I've just had a wonderful experience with the Australian Diamond Network (they post on here with the username ADN, I was extremely happy with the end product). Of course cash would be best, but just in case that doesn't happen..

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that this has occurred to you.
I was in a very similar situation many moons ago. most of my stuff i bought overseas before PS and any knowledge of insurance.

What i got told was store credit from X or Y or Z. it was also stated in the policy, so i could not argue. Look into the wording of the policy, there MAY be a cash settlement. If not, i am not liking your chances of getting cash.

Yes, as susimoo pointed out... with store credit also meant that there was NO room for negotiation. I had to accept the ticketted price. :(

With insurnace I now use Youi as part of home and contents.. they allow for cash replacement for jewelry. however, you have to itemise all your pieces. they understand that you may have a particular jeweler that you work with and will give you cash instead store credit. This next bit i am a bit sketchy on..... but vaguely remember that they will also accept the tax invoice value instead of the valuation. We all know valuation is not really worth anything apart from driving up premiums.

Good luck with the process and i hope you get a favourable result.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you lost so many sentimental pieces. As was mentioned above, what the insurance company will do is governed by the language of your policy. If it allows for a cash settlement you should be able to go in that direction, but if it does not, then you are bound by the terms of the contract, whatever they may be. Just curious if they require a local jeweler or if they will allow you to pick one located in the US or wherever else you prefer.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about your loss. Whether you choose to go with overseas vendors or locally - remember you get your insurance company to pay for the replacement of like to like. An ideal cut diamond is not same as another diamond. I'm pretty sure you have it mentioned on your insurance policy.

Also I'm not sure if you had regular valuations done. Given the weak aussie dollar diamonds and jewellery now cost much more in Aussie dollars. If you take a cash settlement on your cost basis you'll make a loss. In this case I'd recommend that you get actual replacement product.

Good luck. And let us know how it all goes.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a terrible thing to have happen.

Best wishes to you, and do let us know how it turns out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results