shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies: did you gain weight around Perimenopause?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but I suspect all the cookies, ice cream, Twix, Mars bars, KitKats and pasta as the culprits! I cut it all out and bought an exercise bike, and haven't had any trouble dropping 12 pounds since early June. And I'm about halfway through the change.

ETA: But I definitely can't eat with impunity and not gain weight like when I was younger. I gain weight unless I keep quite a strict eye on what I eat.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was 110-115 my whole life (even after having a baby - where breastfeeding made me even lower than that) until a bunch of awful life events lead to me turning to anti-depressants and that has caused weight that has never gone. :(. Now I’m 46 so that combined with age has me 10-15 lbs heavier. I think it’s mainly the AD. I tried to go off them and slimmed down but was a total mess again so back on and thus the extra pounds. Im terrified of menopause Bc some of the same symptoms like insomnia mirror what was going on during my depressive episodes. And it’s just not fair that women are the ones who endure this!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I gained a little belly fat during the perimenopause, nothing much, but over the next 10 years my body changed shape in every way. Breasts drooped, waist thickened, upper arms developed celulite, weight gain everywhere, I could go on but you get the picture. It was a gradual process that I found impossible to change. I am 3 stones heavier than I was in my 30's. I have given up smoking which didn't help the weight gain & I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine every evening.I have accepted that I have a different body now & I'm happy in my older skin

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gained a little belly fat during the perimenopause, nothing much, but over the next 10 years my body changed shape in every way. Breasts drooped, waist thickened, upper arms developed celulite, weight gain everywhere, I could go on but you get the picture. It was a gradual process that I found impossible to change. I am 3 stones heavier than I was in my 30's. I have given up smoking which didn't help the weight gain & I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine every evening.I have accepted that I have a different body now & I'm happy in my older skin

I am also starting to get cellulite on my upper arms! What's that all about?!

This thread has made me realise that I just need to do my best to keep active & healthy & stop stressing about things so much. Though I'm not active right now, as I'm on my 4th period of isolation since Sept. The hazards of working in a school!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am also starting to get cellulite on my upper arms! What's that all about?!

This thread has made me realise that I just need to do my best to keep active & healthy & stop stressing about things so much. Though I'm not active right now, as I'm on my 4th period of isolation since Sept. The hazards of working in a school!
I think this is the key for me: aim to have the healthiest, strongest, best-for-you body you can for the life stage you’re in. I got a bit down a few months ago as Covid and starting the long run into menopause have definitely caused weight gain for me and I’m struggling to shift it.

My gain isn’t evenly distributed - above my waist and below mid-thigh are probably similar to how they’ve always been, but I’ve got a midlife pot belly that’s definitely taking some hard work to get my head around! I’ve added in some strength classes to try and build muscle (helps with both metabolism and for osteoporosis) and I’m cutting out the excess junk I nibble (I’m generally good but I’m hoping that will be a small easy win!). If that doesn’t make a difference then I think I’m starting to get my head around what Made in London says - accept where you are now if it’s the healthiest you can make yourself. Our hormones are different and our bodies need to do different things than they might have 20/30 years ago, so there’s no logical reason why they should look similar.

Good luck with the quarantine! It almost feels routine now
:roll2:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Alex T Have you tried Interval training for your Cardio vs steady state? Also do you do much weight training? Both of those really made a difference for changing my body composition and maintaining long-term. Good luck, sometimes I feel being a woman has so many challenges as we age.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results