shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies: did you gain weight around Perimenopause?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I lost weight. I had gained weight during the last years that I menstruated. I had terrible carb cravings. I could demolish an entire box of cereal or crackers.. With menopause it all disappeared and I've stayed a healthy relatively slim weight. No more crazy cravings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not inevitable to gain weight in menopause. I mean, I have been in menopause for 7 years now and so far my waist is intact. I am very active and workout daily and while I don't diet I try to enjoy treats in moderation. I have a very sweet sweet tooth lol. But it definitely is not impossible depending on individual differences of course. I do agree as we get older it is harder to maintain our good health, weight and figure but it is doable.

@alex, All I am trying to say is don't give up or think weight gain is inevitable. I think you will be just fine because you are active and were able to lose and keep the weight off before so perhaps it is just an adjustment period due to hormonal fluctuations.

And if you can up the workouts and weight lifting I bet you can get rid of it sooner vs later.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 4.23.54 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes most women tend to gain some around the middle. Also I will advise you to go to a HRT doc who is not your gyn, because they handle things differently. I'm ever thankful I did because I was told I was "normal" TFIW!!! If you do not have an open minded gyn, just know you will get plenty of pushbacks on what will work for you. Some will even tell you that what you're going through is normal and you just have to deal with it (which is stupid!)

Perimenopause and menopause is way more than just the weight gain, its the aching joints that come out of nowhere, sleepness nights, mood swings, anxiety attacks, paranoia, and sometimes pain in the wee hours in the morning. seems like many of us experience the chest pain that feels like heart attack in Peri and menopause.

I could write a book on this stuff (trying to refrain!!)

If you're on facebook a great group to just read and learn from https://www.facebook.com/groups/542760182545073/ I did some projects for Nelson many years ago, I won't tell his story but its worth knowing about him. Another scientist I worked for intro'ed us.

Next, blood tests will be your friend. you'll need to get a complete panel done that shows Progesterone, Estrogen, Free Estrogen, Free testosterone, Thyroid, DHEA at a minimum.

I use Defy medical, not covered by my insurance but for me its about quality of life which I was missing out on.

So now I'm on thyroid meds which I desperately needed (my thyroid is healthy its just not producing enough hormones on its own anymore) I also take bio-identical estrogen and small amount of testosterone weekly (we as women do need it!) I don't take progesterone though many women do but in my case, my doc felt it wasn't good fit given my medical history.

It took about 6 weeks before I felt anywhere near normal and my symptoms subsided. And that fat around the middle and my ankles (of all places) is now coming off!

In the meantime, I will recommend a few things you can start doing for yourself because it will help with some of the symptoms.

Tyrosine is great for mood. A small amount in your coffee or 2 500mg caps. Take only in the morning, it can keep you up at night.

Magnesium in the evening is very helpful for getting to sleep. I take NeuroMag, many can take Magnesium Citrate without issue (I can't take that one)

Taurine is amazing. Has lots of fantastic properties to it that we miss out on. can calm feelings of anxiety, help with metabolism and good for heart health. Vegetarians and vegans should be taking this anyway. I take 2 grams a day (there's no upper limit as its well tolerated)

If you take Magnesium Citrate, you should also take Theanine about 2 hours before bedtime as its a relaxant. Its well tolerated not toxic, but start with the recommended dose and work from there.

I had been doing Mindful Yoga for years sporatically it works better if you work at it though...lol And of course my normal workouts of 3 -4 days a week with weights. I used to compete at 171lbs so, I have to move heavy ass weights! I'm thankful to have the stuff I can use at my house!

Now, if its helpful, I had cancer twice where I had parts of my colon removed and a partial hysterectomy. I was told by every GYN that I could not and should not ever do HRT. Well I found out differently and in fact, found that though I can't take as much as most, the small amounts I do take are extrmely helpful to my health and overall well being. I do more testing than the average bear because of my history of cancer but I'm supposed to.

We should not have to suffer just because we're getting older. Thats crazy and I refuse to do it just because some idiot said so. Always get 2nd opinion.

Thank you for this info! I am going to join the FB group because I was considering HRT and have no clue who to go to for this. I agree most doctors are against HRT from my experience too. If only I had realized how damaging being low on the sex hormones would be for my bones I definitely would have tried them at least. Now I am not sure if it is too late for my bones if I take HRT or if I can even tolerate it but you have given me a place to start. Thank you @Arcadian !

And by the way if you write that book I would be first in line to buy it! Just saying. :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T -

I had endometrial cancer last year - most often caused by too high a level of estrogen - and I learnt more about hormones and aging than I ever wanted to know.

As we age, our metabolism naturally slows - so we tend to gain weight. Keeping the same level of activity will still result in slowing metabolism. So, if you want to keep your weight the same, you need to up your exercise or reduce your calories - ideally a little of both.

However, even if you maintain the same weight, you'll still change shape. There are always exceptions, but take this as true for 95% of women. Part of it is that nature thinks, since we no longer ovulate, we're not trying to reproduce, so are not looking to attract a partner. So who cares if we get fat, right? (Actually Mother Nature was pretty much on the money with that one...) But there's also other reasons, such as protecting our kidneys when we're out in the wild, gathering nuts and berries for dinner.... (or so evolution thought would be the case!)

So if you want to lose weight - exercise and drop your calories.

But if you want a slim waist and nature hasn't put you in the 5% category?

Ladies, I introduce to you....

LIPO! :mrgreen:

Alternately, have you thought about the keto diet? A low sugar diet will make you lose fat around your waist. I went on keto and lost 8" from my waist. I lost 50lbs, and with that weight loss, I would expect to have lost around 6" from my waist, if I was lucky. But sugar in your diet is mostly stored around your middle, so cutting out all the carbs will result in those cells emptying out. What I read (and I read a LOT) was if you've gained fat around your middle, you'll see the impact there the most - and that was certainly my experience. I'm 60 years old and will never have a washboard stomach again. But it's waaaaay flatter than it used to be, and a whole lot more comfortable. It also put me back in proportion, which I'd been way out of since I'd injured my back so badly 15 years ago and gained a bunch of weight. Sugar and estrogen is a hellish combination, and worth reading about.

Anyway, keto is a fairly simple and boring diet, but it works like the clappers, and I recommend it without reservation. Sugar is the devil. And I mean REALLY.

I literally eat a packet of McVities Digestive Biscuits every single week. Always have. Maybe it's time I rationed to 1 biscuit per day instead of 4 :lol: Will look into Keto - thanks for the info. I've never really done a specific diet, just tried to be healthy, but maybe now is time for a shake up.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T - You are not alone! We are the same age and I've been experiencing the same issues over the past year or two. ;( Nothing had changed with my activity level or nutrition but yet my weight was becoming a lot harder to keep stable, and clothes were starting to get tight around the waist. My rings had become tight, too. Yep, the dreaded slowing metabolism. :rolleyes: I was confused because I was an active runner doing 4-7 miles five days a week, and the results of my January physical were all good, so I believe the changes are likely age/hormone-related.

Is regular weight training part of your exercise routine? In February, I switched things up and started weight training for the first time in my life. It has made a tremendous difference because increased muscle mass boosts basal metabolic rate. I've only been weight training for 5 months but it was enough to help me lose the padding around my waist. My diet was already pretty healthy but I believe that eating more protein while minimizing empty calories (added sugar and refined carbs) has also helped. My rings aren't tight anymore and I can fit comfortably into my jeans again, woohoo!

That said, I know my body will continue to change as I get closer to 50, regardless of what I do. It sounds like you already have a handle on this but I'm currently trying to shift my mindset so that I'm more focused on being strong and feeling good, rather than how my figure looks. It's a daily battle for me because I feel like I'm 25 inside and it's hard to reconcile that with the visuals of my middle-aged mom bod. :lol: But I'm really enjoying having muscles for the first time ever and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the responses in this thread. Lots of helpful advice and wisdom from ladies who have been there. Please keep 'em coming! :kiss2:

Yes, this!! I absolutely think I am still 25! I used to go to nightclubs & dance FOR HOURS, in a huge sweaty mess! But on Wednesday during the final Joe Bloody Wicks PE lesson for the kids (we have broken up for summer & lockdown is easing) he had us dance around at the end for a full 3 minutes to a rave tune, and I actually thought my achillies might snap. My body is definitely giving my mind away :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not inevitable to gain weight in menopause. I mean, I have been in menopause for 7 years now and so far my waist is intact. I am very active and workout daily and while I don't diet I try to enjoy treats in moderation. I have a very sweet sweet tooth lol. But it definitely is not impossible depending on individual differences of course. I do agree as we get older it is harder to maintain our good health, weight and figure but it is doable.

@alex, All I am trying to say is don't give up or think weight gain is inevitable. I think you will be just fine because you are active and were able to lose and keep the weight off before so perhaps it is just an adjustment period due to hormonal fluctuations.

And if you can up the workouts and weight lifting I bet you can get rid of it sooner vs later.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 4.23.54 PM.png

I agree. I conquered a weight mountain in my youth & thankfully my body returned to shape. Must have been my youthful skin! But I will not give up. I do lift weights as well as running - I average 25 miles per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. So I just need to knuckle down & push through this plateau.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Just a question but have you changed your exercise routine since you turned 40?
a PT friend of mine offers completely different routines for ladies over 40 as our bodies don’t respond typically. I have stayed fit all my life after being chubby as a teen but at 43 I’m feeling like it’s an uphill battle - I’m still thin because I fast. But I have found low impact - walking long distances, dancing etc much better then a full work out.
I have joint issues on the daily now.
It can be so hard when our hormones are directly connected to how much and how often we eat.
Good luck and good job looking after yourself!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Peri, no. Menopause, yes.
My waistline disappeared, and I put on weight easily if I'm not super vigilant. Hard to exercise properly with back issues, but i try. I was a stringbean my whole life, so it's an adjustment. Oh, and the boobs grew too, which I'm not crazy about!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a PT friend of mine offers completely different routines for ladies over 40 as our bodies don’t respond typically. I have stayed fit all my life after being chubby as a teen but at 43 I’m feeling like it’s an uphill battle - I’m still thin because I fast. But I have found low impact - walking long distances, dancing etc much better then a full work out.
It can be so hard when our hormones are directly connected to how much and how often we eat.

No i haven't actually, other than adding to the amount of runs I do per week & also adding some weights since January, but not a lot. Maybe I need to shift gears?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peri, no. Menopause, yes.
My waistline disappeared, and I put on weight easily if I'm not super vigilant. Hard to exercise properly with back issues, but i try. I was a stringbean my whole life, so it's an adjustment. Oh, and the boobs grew too, which I'm not crazy about!

I would seriously love my boobs to grow! I am a 34 DD, which on a tall, broad frame, looks like bee stings. My sister always asks when I'm going to have Implants in proportion!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for this info! I am going to join the FB group because I was considering HRT and have no clue who to go to for this. I agree most doctors are against HRT from my experience too. If only I had realized how damaging being low on the sex hormones would be for my bones I definitely would have tried them at least. Now I am not sure if it is too late for my bones if I take HRT or if I can even tolerate it but you have given me a place to start. Thank you @Arcadian !

And by the way if you write that book I would be first in line to buy it! Just saying. :)

Indeed! and @missy like you and so many women I had to learn the hard way that those hormones control A LOT of stuff! I'm also starting to suspect that the autoimmune disease that my GP said I had but could not yet name (and I had sooo many tests!) was tied to my hormones being in the dumpster.

So many of the symptoms I had have really disappeared at this point, and the joint pain and swelling is quite rare now. I used to struggle to get out of bed because of the pain and the brain fogs affected my work. Far less brain fogs thankfully and I do still have to manage the anxiety but I think 'Rona has more to do with that...lol The weight loss is actually sped up, which I thought maybe was anxiety but hm.... maybe not! Its still kinda scary how fast I'm currently losing.

And OMG, my hair is coming back with a vengeance. My once super thick hair, which became more fragile and brittle after the last of my hormones dumped over a decade ago, has finally come back and the strands are beautifully thick and glossy and CURLY!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would seriously love my boobs to grow! I am a 34 DD, which on a tall, broad frame, looks like bee stings. My sister always asks when I'm going to have Implants in proportion!

seriously a DD? *cries*. I'm like a freaking C cup and it took me a long time to get here!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm post menopausal. It's not great. I couldn't do HRT. I think that might have helped some things. Weight is much harder to lose now, but I really don't fluctuate much. Sure, I'd love to lose some weight, but I've weighed the same for a decade or more now. Right now I am not getting enough exercise because I don't feel safe going out and have zero room in my house to do anything.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed! and @missy like you and so many women I had to learn the hard way that those hormones control A LOT of stuff! I'm also starting to suspect that the autoimmune disease that my GP said I had but could not yet name (and I had sooo many tests!) was tied to my hormones being in the dumpster.

So many of the symptoms I had have really disappeared at this point, and the joint pain and swelling is quite rare now. I used to struggle to get out of bed because of the pain and the brain fogs affected my work. Far less brain fogs thankfully and I do still have to manage the anxiety but I think 'Rona has more to do with that...lol The weight loss is actually sped up, which I thought maybe was anxiety but hm.... maybe not! Its still kinda scary how fast I'm currently losing.

And OMG, my hair is coming back with a vengeance. My once super thick hair, which became more fragile and brittle after the last of my hormones dumped over a decade ago, has finally come back and the strands are beautifully thick and glossy and CURLY!!

I have brain fog, so I am concluding I am definitely in this period of life. Sometimes I say the right words but in the wrong order, like I have dyslexia. I don't & it alarms me. I have had hormonal issues regarding hair loss for years & have posted about this before, but whilst it IS growing in right now (I have spiral curls) it isn't growing in length. I last had a hair cut the week before Xmas & was due to go in March for my 11/12 week appointment (it doesn't need trimming often) but lockdown happened here in the UK, so it was cancelled. But man, it is WISPY.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Am I right that you're in the UK? If so, when they run tests on you, do you know if they do your T3 levels? I know from experience that typical thyroid panels here tend to not include it, but it's actually a vital piece of information-- your last post about hormonal issues and hair loss has me wondering about that.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@Alex T I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I think it’s challenging to extrapolate since we are complex individuals but to share my experience. No. I didn’t gain any weight. And in fact I’m hypothyroid so my metabolism is slow.

I credit the fact I didn’t gain weight (especially fat around the abdomen as I understand is not uncommon during peri and menopause) to my daily workouts and that I’m active. Every day. Plus now I started weight which hopefully will build muscle which helps the metabolism. But I’m way past peri now so to answer your question I remained stable during the peri menopause time.

If you’re already active and not doing weight training I’d consider that to give yourself a boost in muscle and metabolism.

Good luck and there are lots of benefits to menopause.

If I could share one lesson though that if I could go back and consider. I’d consider HRT.

Due to menopause I’ve lost a considerable amount of bone and am now in osteoporosis. Most likely due to the loss of hormones I experienced during peri to menopause. Something to consider.

This is very interesting @missy

What is HRT?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have brain fog, so I am concluding I am definitely in this period of life. Sometimes I say the right words but in the wrong order, like I have dyslexia. I don't & it alarms me. I have had hormonal issues regarding hair loss for years & have posted about this before, but whilst it IS growing in right now (I have spiral curls) it isn't growing in length. I last had a hair cut the week before Xmas & was due to go in March for my 11/12 week appointment (it doesn't need trimming often) but lockdown happened here in the UK, so it was cancelled. But man, it is WISPY.

I’m right there with you @Alex T. My hair is so wispy. I’ve given up on the hair but @Arcadian has given me hope. Arcadian I’m so happy to read your hair is coming in thick and shiny and curly!

joelly

Ideal_Rock

After I turn 40 (I will be 44 at the end of August) I too find low impact is better for me. I used to do HIIT exercise and that doesn’t do it for me anymore. It only makes me hungry.

In addition to walking, I do intermittent fasting also. The weight loss is slow but some loss is better than a yoyo diet.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, after menopause in my 50s it has been a struggle to maintain normal weight, energy, and skin hydration etc. Also, muscle aches and generalized body pain has increased, oh and some nights I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I am now in my early 60s and my body constantly tells me to slow down, but my brain wants me to think I am still 50. I herniated a disc in my lower back over 10 years ago, and recently I strained my back... not a good summer for me as I don't accept slowing down easily. :(2 Getting older definitely sucks.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your weight lifting will strengthen your bones. Basically any weight bearing exercise works.

I have to say I'd never take HRT. It's not worth getting a quiet killer - ovarian cancer.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought having periods every month was bad until peri menopause. Rest assured your wispy hair may be counter-balanced by wiry hair growing in places you'd rather it not -- such as the middle of your neck or along the jaw line, or your eyebrows molting and coming back looking like a Brillo pad on steroids frightened by a monster.

I didn't give more than .00001 seconds thought to HRT. My mood swings during peri menopause were horrific, one second overwhelmed with feels for everyone of earth and the next tearing the heads of teddy bears with my bare teeth. And my vagina slammed shut. Nothing was getting in there without a heavy blast of TNT. Artificial lubes did not compensate for the fact that it also shrank so HRT wasn't really an option if I wanted anything resembling a normal sex life. You have so much more to look forward to :D

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I right that you're in the UK? If so, when they run tests on you, do you know if they do your T3 levels? I know from experience that typical thyroid panels here tend to not include it, but it's actually a vital piece of information-- your last post about hormonal issues and hair loss has me wondering about that.

Yes, I'm in the UK. For the tests, she knows that I have had hair loss issues for years & that both my sisters have underactive thyroid, so I would assume she orders the right thing? My levels have always come back within normal parameters, but then my older sister says she is also technically within normal perameters too, but when she heads to the higher end of the scale, her hair falls & she bloats a little. By my results are always been smack bang in the middle. I always give the numbers to my big sis & she agrees it's fine. I am due my test in Aug so will mention T3 to her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your weight lifting will strengthen your bones. Basically any weight bearing exercise works.

I have to say I'd never take HRT. It's not worth getting a quiet killer - ovarian cancer.

It's a conundrum for sure. I see the benefits and risks of each. It's just if one has a compression fracture (and my dad's side of the family all has OP so it is in my genes) it can ruin one's life. I just am not sure I can tolerate HRT because I was never able to tolerate BC pills. The hormones made my emotions run amok. I tried all the combos possible when I was young and was never able to take them on a regular basis despite years of trying new bc pills on the market each time something new came out. So I gave up. And my mom and sister also are unable to take hormones so that might hinder me taking HRT if I can get a doctor to prescribe it.

It really is a tough decision. I never had hot flashes nor menopausal symptoms so I was absolutely OK with not taking HRT. Then I got my OP diagnosis and everything changed. It might be too late for me re HRT anyway but I would say for each person reading this who is not yet in menopause to at least consider it. Pros and cons and your personal genetic makeup before deciding either way. If I could save my bones with HRT and I could tolerate it I would go for it. And just be careful and get checked regularly for health complications. Compression fractures are serious business and can ruin one's life.

There is no right or wrong. It is what is right or wrong for each individual given their specific situation.

@Alex T sorry for the threadjack and back to the discussion at hand.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm in the UK. For the tests, she knows that I have had hair loss issues for years & that both my sisters have underactive thyroid, so I would assume she orders the right thing? My levels have always come back within normal parameters, but then my older sister says she is also technically within normal perameters too, but when she heads to the higher end of the scale, her hair falls & she bloats a little. By my results are always been smack bang in the middle. I always give the numbers to my big sis & she agrees it's fine. I am due my test in Aug so will mention T3 to her.

You and I share that struggle and we both have underachieve thyroids. It is amazing though how many doctors dismiss hair thinning as a normal part of aging (as well as low thyroid). There is IMO, nothing normal about hair thinning. You are still young and there has to be a reason.

Ask for free T3. The free is the more important T3 test. You need free T3, free T4 and the antibodies TPO and TgAB. As well as the entire iron profile. Not just iron but ferritin, total iron, iron saturation and total iron binding capacity. All important.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought having periods every month was bad until peri menopause. Rest assured your wispy hair may be counter-balanced by wiry hair growing in places you'd rather it not -- such as the middle of your neck or along the jaw line, or your eyebrows molting and coming back looking like a Brillo pad on steroids frightened by a monster.

I didn't give more than .00001 seconds thought to HRT. My mood swings during peri menopause were horrific, one second overwhelmed with feels for everyone of earth and the next tearing the heads of teddy bears with my bare teeth. And my vagina slammed shut. Nothing was getting in there without a heavy blast of TNT. Artificial lubes did not compensate for the fact that it also shrank so HRT wasn't really an option if I wanted anything resembling a normal sex life. You have so much more to look forward to :D

I know this is a serious thread & I am so grateful for all the info, but this just made me pee a little with laughter! :lol: Oh, did I mention I've had to start to pelvic floor exercises too? For a few weeks a while back, jumping Jack's were off the table :lol:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know this is a serious thread & I am so grateful for all the info, but this just made me pee a little with laughter! :lol: Oh, did I mention I've had to start to pelvic floor e excuses too? For a few weeks a while back, jumping Jack's were off the table :lol:

I also laughed reading Matata's apt description of some of our struggles as we get older. Aging is challenging but it is worth it. I am sure most would say it is definitely preferable to the alternative. But yeah, aging is no for sissies said Bette Davis and I agree. You gotta be tough and you gotta persevere and just go with the flow (or lack of so to speak LOL). One thing I do NOT miss is having my monthly periods. Nope not at all. I also do not miss having to use something to make sure we don't get pregnant. It is so much easier this way. No cramping and we can be spontaneous in the making love department. Always a good thing. Is it a bit more challenging aka @Matata 's post? Yup absolutely but like all good things the challenge is worth it.

bette-davis-quote-old-age-is-no-place-for-sissies.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and I share that struggle and we both have underachieve thyroids. It is amazing though how many doctors dismiss hair thinning as a normal part of aging (as well as low thyroid). There is IMO, nothing normal about hair thinning. You are still young and there has to be a reason.

Ask for free T3. The free is the more important T3 test. You need free T3, free T4 and the antibodies TPO and TgAB. As well as the entire iron profile. Not just iron but ferritin, total iron, iron saturation and total iron binding capacity. All important.

My hair started thinning in my late 20's. Not enough for anyone to notice, but it started then. On my wedding day when I was 32, my hair looked glorious, but there are a couple of pictures taken looking down on us as we stood on a staircase & you can see if you zoom in, slightly thinner areas. When I had the babies, it grew back & was ridiculously thick. Post partum shedding left me with visible scalp. Birth control left me with visible scalp. So I KNOW my hair CAN grow, but my hormones fluctuations prevent it for the most part. And my Dr is pretty dismissive.

Unfortunately here in the UK you have to be registered to your local GP Practice & if you aren't happy with them it's tough titties - you can't just ask to see someone else. If you are really really unhappy, you have to put in a complaint. It's difficult here to be seen by somebody other than your registered GP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results