shape
carat
color
clarity

Labs & resales

tarams9

Rough_Rock
With all the info Pricescope offers, I'm sure there's info somewhere on here about grading labs - which to go with & which to stay away from. Obviously GIA & AGS are top, but what about others? Can someone share a link if that info is on here somewhere? (The "search forum" doesnt seem to work)

I'm also wondering if there is a resale forum or place to find ideal cut stones other than Craigslist or ebay. Thanks for help with either of these 2 items!

tarams9

Rough_Rock
Thanks for finding that for me Shimmer!

I wish there was mention of GS labs that Kay jewelers uses.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the USA the only grading that is deemed accurate enough to trade between dealers at full market price is GIA. It isn't because the GIA is flawless in its grading, but it is the best known and relied upon entity. Even diamonds graded by AGSL which are normally quite similarly graded to GIA grading may not trade at full market value unless re-graded by GIA. I have such a stone right now being re-graded by GIA so I can sell it to a very reliable diamond dealer who will pay $2,600 per carat more per carat for the same diamond if it grades at GIA what it graded at AGS. I'm spending $600 to get the document, so it is obviously a worthwhile gamble or expense if it comes out as expected. It does not always happen.

If you want to know the grade with the degree of accuracy dealers require, the GIA is currently the source of such grades. AGSL is right up on top nearby. Don't suffer over the grading provided by alternative labs, possibly with the exception of the boutique lab, GCAL which is very precise, but not a world-wide entity. Every other lab being used in our domestic US market for business reasons must grade no stronger than GIA and maximizes its income by being a bit to a lot softer than GIA in grading. They may have all the best intentions, but would lose their clients if they provided grading that did not please their customers.

Our study, some years ago, found some of the very best deals in stones graded by secondary labs that just happened to be accurately graded rather than softly graded. It is not a common happening, but it does occur. Therefore, shoppers who want to really investigate and be tossed all around in their task, might find the needle in the haystack by examining many secondary lab graded diamonds. No one can tell you it is a bad idea to shop well and completely. One must consider the value of their own time and their comfort and knowledge level, too.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'd be concerned that the Kay stone wasn't GIA certed, because they do carry GIA stones, why wouldn't the particular stone that you are interested in be? Probably because they couldn't get the grade they desired from GIA and still charge a premium for the stone. Be super careful of these BM stores (Kays GSL that you mentioned) They try to trick consumers with with lab names similar to GIA AGS etc. and claim that the stone was graded by a GIA grad. Don't fall for it. A GIA grad graded stone is not the same as a GIA certed stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a buyer, the basic rule is fairly simple. Stick with a grader you trust. This means buy from a dealer who you trust and who uses a lab that you trust. Since you're asking about buying on the secondary market, that generaly means you know little or nothing about the dealer so we're 100% on the lab. That can be tricky since there is so much important information that isn't included on the lab docs but it also means that you're prudent to stick with GIA and AGS even more than if you were buying from a favored store. Step 2 is to choose and rely on your appraiser. As mentioned above, there's important info that's not on the lab report and if you're not getting good advice from the dealer, and you're not an expert yourself, you have more risks than you know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results