shape
carat
color
clarity

Labs and Certs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was about to send my cobalt spinel to AGL for grading but it turns out that AGL has been bought over and is most likely to be closed, with the diamond grading side only remaining. I''m not sure if I want to spend mega bucks for AGTA or Gubelin because I only need it to be verified that it isn''t a synthetic. I know it isn''t but it''s always great to have confirmation from a reputable lab. What are the other good labs out there?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Could you take it to someone independent that has a lab?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d rather go to an established lab; sort of like diamonds having a GIA or AGS cert rather than relying on just an independant appraiser.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn''t the AGTA do a less expensive basic gem id report?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll have to check their website. I know about the full reports and those cost around $200, I think.

kailee

Rough_Rock
try egl in downtown los angeles or guild laboratory (charles carmona). see if you can get a verbal. a lot less money than a full cert.

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
I called EGL (downtown LA) a few weeks ago, but they informed me that they don''t grade color stones there. They asked me to send the stones to New York. I haven''t done so, because with shipping back and forth, I figure it will cost over a hundred there. Just like Chrono, I also wanted to have a Lab certificate (for peace of mind) to verify that if the stone is synthetic or not. Not easy, huh?
8.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused now; my dealer just informed me that he met AGL''s owner this February in Tuscon and nothing was mentioned about the closing of the coloured gemstone lab. In any case, he''ll contact the owner again to confirm and if it is indeed closing, then the cobalt spinel will be sent to AGTA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results