shape
carat
color
clarity

Labor Cost and does that vary on metal type?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jus10

Rough_Rock
Hello. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect as labor cost from a custom made engagement ring? A range would be fine. I kinda want to know what to expect. I was wondering about just a simple solitaire and/or a setting like in my earlier post. A place for a marquise center diamond and a side settings for pear shaped gemstones. Does labor depend on the metal being used? Its going to have to be platinum or silver (gold allergy). I''m leaning toward silver and so is she (not being able to use gold/white gold makes the price sky rocket with platinum). Can silver be used? Thanks for all the help I''m sure all of you know how wonderful it is to have help when your a little lost. Again thanks!!!

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Certain metals are naturally more expencive than others,
while some metals are harder for the setters to work with than others.

Platinum is by far the most expensive and hardest metal to work with.

Silver is rarely used for diamonds, but I don't see why it should be a problem. As a matter of fact, a well crafted and polished silver setting would make a beautiful ring, plus it would be affordable too.

Kirk

Jus10

Rough_Rock
Ok, I might have a solution to my problem. I found this ring at diamond.com

bTiffanySSGMQ00050014WPRS.jpg

Specs:
14k White Gold

Sidestone Information:
Shape: Pear
Gem Type: Sapphire
Gem Weight: 0.5
Gem Size: 5 mm X 3 mm

I read that on another forum people who want to use gold but have a nickel allergy have the inside of the ring platinum coated. Anyone anything about this?

Also I assume the .5 weight is .25 for each stone. Would a .5 marquise diamond look ok set in the center? Thank you.

Jus10

Rough_Rock
If the proportions of the ring above wouldn't look right with a .5 I might have to contact Wink Jones or the ringdesigner.com and see what they say about getting one made with 1/8th sapphires in silver/silver alloy or white gold. I really don't want to pay that outragous ammount for platinum. I would like to keep cost down as much as possible. I'm not willing to pay 1000 for a setting by no means. Not right now anyway. (If I have to I'll get a simple solitaire setting) I'm pairing all this ring/engagement stuff with a week trip to the beach so cost is already way up there
6.gif
but thats ok, she will love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results