shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Ruby Stone - HELP

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Hi there
I’m new to this forum and I’ve been reading the questions and advice over the last couple of weeks - what a great community! And the expertise!

I’m looking for a lab ruby - I would love a natural ruby but I have a child in college - need I say more?

Can someone recommend a vendor? Preowned or new. Any tips in what I should look for?

Many thanks!!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to splurge on a custom cut, these sellers have calculators for pricing based on weight/method of growth/cutting.
Generic cuts shouldn't cost as much though. I don't know a PSer-vetted source.

Not sure about your budget, but if you would accept a small stone, you might be able to get something natural and pre-loved. This was just the first one I saw on the pre-loved subforum here on PS.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
If you want to splurge on a custom cut, these sellers have calculators for pricing based on weight/method of growth/cutting.
Generic cuts shouldn't cost as much though. I don't know a PSer-vetted source.

Not sure about your budget, but if you would accept a small stone, you might be able to get something natural and pre-loved. This was just the first one I saw on the pre-loved subforum here on PS.

Thank you! I’m going to check out the two vendors. I did see the preloved stone on PS - very pretty but the band is a bit too ornate for me.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I’m going to check out the two vendors. I did see the preloved stone on PS - very pretty but the band is a bit too ornate for me.

I recently see a lot of second hand synthetic ruby rings. What kind of style are you after?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I recently see a lot of second hand synthetic ruby rings. What kind of style are you after?

An oval or round shape. I don’t know enough to ask for a specific cut. I like a deep red. Thanks!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
An oval or round shape. I don’t know enough to ask for a specific cut. I like a deep red. Thanks!

Oh I meant style of jewellery - assuming you are planning on setting it?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Check out my lab ruby ring thread I made with Chinese vendor Tianyu. I just did a quote with them for a similar three stone ring in platinum and it was $650. You could go with Stag and Finch but rubies are so cheap and easy to produce I don't know if you necessarily need to pay the extra $$ for the precision cutting. I am considering Stag and Finch, however, for a lab sapphire ring because of their color selection that's unmatched in other (cheaper) sellers. If you need help ordering, go on the Moissanite subreddit and there are plenty of pics/projects/inspiration.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Check out my lab ruby ring thread I made with Chinese vendor Tianyu. I just did a quote with them for a similar three stone ring in platinum and it was $650. You could go with Stag and Finch but rubies are so cheap and easy to produce I don't know if you necessarily need to pay the extra $$ for the precision cutting. I am considering Stag and Finch, however, for a lab sapphire ring because of their color selection that's unmatched in other (cheaper) sellers. If you need help ordering, go on the Moissanite subreddit and there are plenty of pics/projects/inspiration.

Thanks for the advice! I will check out the sites.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked Chatham or betterthandiamond.com?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you checked Chatham or betterthandiamond.com?
chatham is slightly nuts on prices but does anyone pay betterthandiamond prices? That is crazy.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do a google search for hydrothermal ruby which seems to be selling at a premium these days probably because it comes from Russia and the supply is cut off.
You may choose to skip it based on it being made there.

The other option is search for lab ruby #5 for some cheap flame fusion some of which can rock and order 4 or 5 to play with as they are not expensive if you shop around only a few bucks each.
If your not happy with one vendors offerings try another as they vary some.

etsy has some vendors listing lab ruby #5

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Do a google search for hydrothermal ruby which seems to be selling at a premium these days probably because it comes from Russia and the supply is cut off.

The other option is search for lab ruby #5 for some cheap flame fusion some of which can rock and order 4 or 5 to play with as they are not expensive if you shop around only a few bucks each.

Thanks! I will check it out. Have a great day.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Most of the material made in Russia is sold through Bangkok. So I am thinking current events won’t have much impact.

Peary

Shiny_Rock

Any recommendations for a reputable online vendor that sells hydrothermal ruby, preferably can do precision cut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any recommendations for a reputable online vendor that sells hydrothermal ruby, preferably can do precision cut?
Not right off hand, much of it on the market is calibrated size with reasonably well cut factory cutting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results