shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Grown vs Natural Diamond (Emerald Cut)

I liked the natural diamond more than the first lab grown, but that second one they found?! The slight difference in the corners is somehow what does it for me.
Both are beautiful, but while I would chose the lab in a heartbeat, somehow despite it being visually appealing and checking all the boxes, I'm just not sure it is the stone for you, especially if they can get traps that match the natural in color.
Saving money is always appealing, but if that is the *only* reason you would choose the lab over the natural, ultimately I worry there will always be a twinge of regret when you look at your ring. Yes, it will be yellow-ish sometimes, but well matched side stones will help minimize that.
Would you ever be able to love and enjoy your ring without the origin casting a shadow, if visually it is all you ever wanted by going with the lab? (For me, yes, because I care about what my eyes see, but something to consider before your final decision!)

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
Wow the lab is so beautiful. If you don’t want it, I’m happy to buy it!

really though…I also ended up going the lab route. I’d rather spend half the amount to get a similar diamond, and invest the other half. Depending on what kind of diamond you get, I think the value goes up similar to the stock market. But that’s not cash you can use or move around at any time. Also…you don’t know how the demand will be in the future with changing spending habits of the general public.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
I liked the natural diamond more than the first lab grown, but that second one they found?! The slight difference in the corners is somehow what does it for me.
Both are beautiful, but while I would chose the lab in a heartbeat, somehow despite it being visually appealing and checking all the boxes, I'm just not sure it is the stone for you, especially if they can get traps that match the natural in color.
Saving money is always appealing, but if that is the *only* reason you would choose the lab over the natural, ultimately I worry there will always be a twinge of regret when you look at your ring. Yes, it will be yellow-ish sometimes, but well matched side stones will help minimize that.
Would you ever be able to love and enjoy your ring without the origin casting a shadow, if visually it is all you ever wanted by going with the lab? (For me, yes, because I care about what my eyes see, but something to consider before your final decision!)

This is such a thoughtful answer. I actually screenshot it and send it to my husband!

This has given me a lot to think about. Hopefully I’ll be able to report back early next weekend with a picture of the final spread!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@jerseypeach just in case you haven't seen it, a bunch of people responded to your other thread that is in Rocky Talky (disregard if this is old news!)

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! That new lab diamond is stunning!!!

If you didn't know one was a lab diamond, which would you pick?

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Wow!!! That new lab diamond is stunning!!!

If you didn't know one was a lab diamond, which would you pick?
Thank you! I feel lucky to have two solid options in front of me.

I’d be very suspicious of the pricing if I didn’t know it was a lab. but obtuseness aside, I see your point! I would likely go with the D. I’m going tomorrow to see them in-person to see how I feel then!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have been in your shoes. I had a 3.5 carat natural beautiful L. But over a few years the warm color really started to bother me. Recently I switched to a 3.5 LGD in G color. Best decision ever. I only wish that Lab diamonds had been an option when I purchased my original stone. I have not regretted the decision at all. The diff in color has made me so happy and that’s the ONLY thing that matters. Good luck

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
If it helps your decision, I never look down at my lgd and think about its origin. All I see is a pretty stone. All that was important to me was to be able to say "yes" if someone were ever rude enough to ask if it was a diamond.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update - I loved the specs of the natural stone so much that it was making it hard to consider anything else. So, the incredible jewelry company is actually having a lab stone cut to those specs so I can decide between both more easily (or with my luck this will make it harder, haha). Really grateful for everything they've done.

In the meantime, in case anyone is curious, here is the natural diamond video - I did not get it through JA but it was listed on their site at one point: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-9748711

And here are some extra pictures of her from the other day:
1628364228841.jpeg
1628364244080.jpeg

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
After a truly excessive amount of deliberation, I made the decision to go with a lab diamond. I’ve picked it out and now I’m just waiting for it to be set. There were several factors that went into this choice and I so appreciate everyone’s thoughts and feedback.

Here is the stone. Would love to hear any thoughts!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After a truly excessive amount of deliberation, I made the decision to go with a lab diamond. I’ve picked it out and now I’m just waiting for it to be set. There were several factors that went into this choice and I so appreciate everyone’s thoughts and feedback.

Here is the stone. Would love to hear any thoughts!

That's awesome - great facet action! Congrats!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to respond but I think you made a great decision. It is a beautiful stone and it's important to remember that it's a diamond, regardless of origin.

The only things about my natural stones that make me love that they are natural are their inclusions and fluorescence, which ironically are the things that people don't want in a natural stone, and why some will go to lab in order to afford a clearer stone. For a step-cut, you can't beat the cost saving you can get in larger stones with high clarity so enjoy your EC!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond!!! Congratulations.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great choice! The video was spectacular and so were your nails! I can't wait to see the finished product.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Wow, great choice! The video was spectacular and so were your nails! I can't wait to see the finished product.

LOL - you remind me of my husband. I’ve been working with a really incredible person at our jewelry store and those are her hands. A few weeks ago my husband saw a picture I had of a stone I was considering and said “your hands look so nice!” and I had to let him know that they weren’t mine:lol-2:

tenshix

Rough_Rock
Oof what an amazing lab EC stone you picked out!! Honestly it would be very hard for me to pick between them as well; the natural diamond has “character” and a sentimental quality to it.

Just to add my (very late) 2 cents, the only thing I worry about with LGD’s are the striations they can sometimes have especially when grown with the CVD method. It’s not discernible to the naked eye especially an arm’s length away, but I can see them in the 360’ videos and the hazy stripey look in the facets really bothered me. I also saw a video that DG did to compare natural vs lab under special polarized lighting and the spotlight side by side close up; the natural diamond had much more fire and sparkle compared to the LGD, but the LGD was still super beautiful and sparkly, just not as fiery. I think that’s just personal preference, and when looking at a stone objectively by itself with nothing to compare to, LGD’s still look stunning. It sounds like you’re working with an amazing jewelry team who’s absolutely determined to find a stone to fit all your needs! Can’t wait to see the finished ring, I know it’s going to be a super stunner for sure with that center EC!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning! DG specifically looks for those striations, and will recommend you pass if anything is eye visible at normal viewing. It looks like you're working with a great jeweler. I'm sure they checked for any issues.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone :)

A huge thank you to everyone that has taken this lovely little journey with me. Here are the pics of my ring:

6DD2E40C-19B6-462C-8687-0566986C7053.jpeg 05322769-D17A-4E3E-81A9-486FC580A876.jpeg 5ED71D85-D030-4853-BA81-F954064A474C.jpeg 595DFEA2-6FB9-4E0E-84E9-D445D7A89074.jpeg

and here is a quick video I took in the car today: https://youtube.com/shorts/OUXRhDYqVyk?feature=share

I’m very happy with it but of course value the opinion of those on this thread so if anyone sees something I’m missing for sure let me know!

I did also want to share that this ring was purchased through Ascot Diamonds and I’ve been very happy with them throughout this process. I wouldn’t hesitate to anyone.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I love it! I think it came out great!

tenshix

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone :)

A huge thank you to everyone that has taken this lovely little journey with me. Here are the pics of my ring:

6DD2E40C-19B6-462C-8687-0566986C7053.jpeg 05322769-D17A-4E3E-81A9-486FC580A876.jpeg 5ED71D85-D030-4853-BA81-F954064A474C.jpeg 595DFEA2-6FB9-4E0E-84E9-D445D7A89074.jpeg

and here is a quick video I took in the car today: https://youtube.com/shorts/OUXRhDYqVyk?feature=share

I’m very happy with it but of course value the opinion of those on this thread so if anyone sees something I’m missing for sure let me know!

I did also want to share that this ring was purchased through Ascot Diamonds and I’ve been very happy with them throughout this process. I wouldn’t hesitate to anyone.

What a beauty!! She is a stunner and suits your hand perfectly, congratulations & enjoy my dear!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring and hands too! Enjoy your white, stunning anniversary diamond!

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Outside of the specs, the biggest difference is that the natural diamond is roughly double the cost of the lab diamond. I am very torn and undecided if it’s worth double to have a natural diamond, especially given the K coloring. But there’s something special to me about a natural stone. Anyone been in any similar situations? Or any thoughts between these two stones? Any and all opinions are VERY appreciated!

It is up to perspective, how comfortable are you with spending double the price? Strictly money wise, if the price isn't a lot for you, then id suggest mined, but not one with tint you can notice, as it will always be in the back of your head. Mined pros are, you will be able to sell it back, if there was an emergency, for roughly 60% of the original price practically anywhere. If its considerable amount of money, where you have to think about it, id go with lab even if you found a nicer mined.
Personally if i were to buy a diamond for someone, i would go with lab grown one way or another, have more control over what diamond im getting. Pick up a really nice stone with impeccable cut quality, D-F color and VVS clarity, so the stone is as breathtaking as possible.
I don't see a reason to get a natural with MMDs around, to show off wealth? No one can tell MMD from mined apart, even if they held it, so even if that was the reason, a nicer stone is better choice, unless stating to everyone that the diamond is natural. For investment? The money you would get for the stone back will, in the end, level out with the MMD one, even if MMD price plummeted to 100$ a carat, as its way cheaper to purchase.
I don't really see a reason to get a mined K with noticeable yellow tint, for more money, if there is a cheaper and nicer option available.

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh i just noticed i am grossly late in helping you decide, i apologize. You decided for a very nice stone, hope you are loving it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results