shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab-grown diamonds: Worth it or not?

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
In comparison to Earth/Natural-what are your thoughts? I'm exploring them but not sure if I should go as far as to purchase one...

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you will enjoy wearing a lab grown diamond go for it. If it is mind clean for you go for it.
But do not consider it an investment nor plan on being able to sell it for what you paid for it.
Buy it for you and only you with no eye towards the future with regards to selling it.

Of course somewhat similar rules apply to natural diamonds but those hold their value better. Whereas lab made diamonds will most likely cost less as time goes on and it will not hold its value in the same way.

If you buy it for you and only you to wear and enjoy go for it.
But if you think you might want to upgrade in the future or sell etc. then I would pass.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When prices have found some higher level of equilibrium in the Lab Grown market, there is very likely going to be a secondhand market for them. Maybe, there could be trade up policies then put into place. Meanwhile, the market for lab created is going to be quite different than for mined diamonds. Lab diamonds give folks with more limited budgets a far wider opportunity to purchase a larger stone or a better color and clarity diamond than they might have done otherwise. If you buy a $5,000 lab diamond that is currently difficult to resell right now, it may be worth some decent money in the future if you want to change stones. If you buy an equivalent mined diamond for $10,000 instead, you will lose half your money, more or less, selling back to the trade. I don't see this decision being much better than buying a lab stone. You buy a diamond as a gift. Making it into an investment is problematic, but occasionally works out over a long period of time. Remember, inflation masks losses. Spending power is the lost item over time.

Keep it simple. Buy something you love to give to someone you love. Treat gifts like flowers on Mother's Day. A gift that creates happiness, not a cash payment.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what you're after and who you buy from. There are a plethora of highly reputable sellers that include their LGDs in their upgrade programs, so that is where the resale value is retained...and very many of these sellers are have policies close to or exactly identical as their EGD giving 100% purchase price towards a trade-up. Stipulations will vary, so dig into the details and shop the customer perks as part of the overall package.

Plenty of very high profile sellers are now in the LGD market:
Brian Gavin
JannPaul
Distinctive Gem
Diamonds by Lauren
Victor Canera
...just off the top of my head, so I'm sure this list can be vastly expanded (and continue to grow as long-established sellers enter the LGD market).

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
If you will enjoy wearing a lab grown diamond go for it. If it is mind clean for you go for it.
But do not consider it an investment nor plan on being able to sell it for what you paid for it.
Buy it for you and only you with no eye towards the future with regards to selling it.

Of course somewhat similar rules apply to natural diamonds but those hold their value better. Whereas lab made diamonds will most likely cost less as time goes on and it will not hold its value in the same way.

If you buy it for you and only you to wear and enjoy go for it.
But if you think you might want to upgrade in the future or sell etc. then I would pass.

Very sound advice.

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
When prices have found some higher level of equilibrium in the Lab Grown market, there is very likely going to be a secondhand market for them. Maybe, there could be trade up policies then put into place. Meanwhile, the market for lab created is going to be quite different than for mined diamonds. Lab diamonds give folks with more limited budgets a far wider opportunity to purchase a larger stone or a better color and clarity diamond than they might have done otherwise. If you buy a $5,000 lab diamond that is currently difficult to resell right now, it may be worth some decent money in the future if you want to change stones. If you buy an equivalent mined diamond for $10,000 instead, you will lose half your money, more or less, selling back to the trade. I don't see this decision being much better than buying a lab stone. You buy a diamond as a gift. Making it into an investment is problematic, but occasionally works out over a long period of time. Remember, inflation masks losses. Spending power is the lost item over time.

Keep it simple. Buy something you love to give to someone you love. Treat gifts like flowers on Mother's Day. A gift that creates happiness, not a cash payment.

LOVE this!! & so true.

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I found the forum for LGD & I think I will stick with Earth Diamonds just as a personal preference. Thanks all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results