shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab engagement ring advice

porterhouseblue

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I recently came across the Pricescope community and have been excited to find a wealth of information for buying an upcoming engagement ring! I'm looking for some help from the experts in finding the following:
- 2.7-2.9 carat round diamond
- G color or better
- VS1 or better
- budget of around ~$5.5k for the stone

I've found a few options on the Pricescope tool from both B2C and Adiamor, though B2C seems to be significantly cheaper for whatever reason. I've read about a bit about evaluating the cut and HPHT vs. CVD, but wasn't sure how to pick a stone exactly. Also if I buy a loose stone online, would the same vendor usually provide the setting as well to create the whole ring or would I need to find someone local to set it? (am located in San Francisco)

Some options I'm considering for stones:

Thanks so much for all the help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's usually easiest to buy the stone and setting from the same vendor. What kind of setting do you have in mind?

Check out these incredibly clean GCAL 8x stones, with superior proportions and light return, and the cut analysis is already done for you.

The first stone you posted is promising, but IMO any of the GCAL 8x stones I linked will be better performers. I'm not a big fan of the other two stones.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope, porterhouseblue!
Have a peek at this one:

Here's a VS2, but the inclusions are seemingly at the cusp of the SI1 realm and just on the edge of the table area, which is going to be a subjective judgment call.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
probably not such an important question for a younger person and certainly not for me because id be more than ok with it
but make sure your intended is ok with a lab stone =)2

itsfake

Rough_Rock
A wise man once told me, never buy a diamond without looking at it in person first. Many things, including diamonds, can look good on paper but not be the best when you see it. I used the HCA, ASET and Ideal scope when I was shopping for my diamond.

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
A wise man once told me, never buy a diamond without looking at it in person first. Many things, including diamonds, can look good on paper but not be the best when you see it. I used the HCA, ASET and Ideal scope when I was shopping for my diamond.

Buying a diamond online is completely fine as long you go through a reputable vendor. Several vendors use ASET and ideal scopes to vet stones. I have purchased all three of my diamonds online as have most people in the community here and have had zero issues.

porterhouseblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I have been doing some searching and went to a family friend who is a wholesaler who was able to find the below diamond for a price of $4,850. It is a lab, 2.83 carat, color G, VVS2, ideal cut.

The HCA score looks to be 0.7 and I saw it in person - it looks to be quite nice, but wanted to check with the community before buying! What do you all think?

Here is the link to the diamond on Ritani (though it's not for sale via there) and I've attached the certificate:

IGI number: LG524208273

I have attached some photos and a video is here:

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 524208273.pdf
    486.4 KB · Views: 6

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I have been doing some searching and went to a family friend who is a wholesaler who was able to find the below diamond for a price of $4,850. It is a lab, 2.83 carat, color G, VVS2, ideal cut.

The HCA score looks to be 0.7 and I saw it in person - it looks to be quite nice, but wanted to check with the community before buying! What do you all think?

Here is the link to the diamond on Ritani (though it's not for sale via there) and I've attached the certificate:

IGI number: LG524208273

I have attached some photos and a video is here:

Something seems a bit off about the optics.
Could be the lighting or camera focus.
Definitely get ASET images!

porterhouseblue

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - I'm back on the search for the diamond! I decided to pass on the diamond from the family friend since I wasn't sure about it and am now looking again for a ~2.8 carat with similar specifications as my original post.

I found a local jeweler who will do the setting (this is the link to the one I was thinking in 14k yellow gold with white prongs). Though maybe it's a better for convenience to buy the setting from the same place as wherever I get the diamond?

Either way, any ideas on diamonds for me? I found a couple below but not sure how these compare to what else is out there. I really appreciate all your help!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone - I'm back on the search for the diamond! I decided to pass on the diamond from the family friend since I wasn't sure about it and am now looking again for a ~2.8 carat with similar specifications as my original post.

I found a local jeweler who will do the setting (this is the link to the one I was thinking in 14k yellow gold with white prongs). Though maybe it's a better for convenience to buy the setting from the same place as wherever I get the diamond?

Either way, any ideas on diamonds for me? I found a couple below but not sure how these compare to what else is out there. I really appreciate all your help!

Did you see this GCAL 8X F VS1?

porterhouseblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, this looks incredible! It looks like the same one is available via my local retailer (https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.88-carat-f-vs1-yd19468755) if I'm looking at it correctly?

The GCAL number seems to match (321711806). I think they may be able to price match it so I reached out to them to ask. Do you think it's better for me to do both the diamond and the setting through them if they're willing to price match Adiamor's price?

I was just a bit worried about getting the stone and then needing to get insurance for having them set it / the 30 day return policy on the diamond (since it takes the retailer a couple weeks to set it, doesn't leave much time between getting the ring ready and then perhaps needing to do any returns / tweaks to it).

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, this looks incredible! It looks like the same one is available via my local retailer (https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.88-carat-f-vs1-yd19468755) if I'm looking at it correctly?

The GCAL number seems to match (321711806). I think they may be able to price match it so I reached out to them to ask. Do you think it's better for me to do both the diamond and the setting through them if they're willing to price match Adiamor's price?

I was just a bit worried about getting the stone and then needing to get insurance for having them set it / the 30 day return policy on the diamond (since it takes the retailer a couple weeks to set it, doesn't leave much time between getting the ring ready and then perhaps needing to do any returns / tweaks to it).

Yes, it's definitely better when you get the setting and diamond from the same vendor. Let us know how it goes with the price-matching!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results