shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab emerald help please!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I am trying to decide on a lab emerald...
9DB864D9-8657-4EEC-AE55-7DF92396C13A.jpeg ECE65C00-FCCD-44A9-89A4-7142DE8EEA16.jpeg 65EC82BB-992E-4A14-9C3C-6B8598F991D6.jpeg

I would like to put into a CVB setting.
Can’t decide on whether to do an emerald shape with side stones (my original choice) but then was tempted by asschers of finewater gems. The cut just looks so great.
And then once I pick the shape, what size to get? How to figure out proportions with the side stones, or what size solitaire if I do the asscher.

My inclination is to go big like 10x8 or 9x9. But then I saw how much a real emerald would be at that size and worry if that’s outrageous?? I don’t know, any advice appreciated. I’ve looked through all the lab emerald posts I could find and they look gorgeous! Thanks

I don’t have an answer to your other questions about side stones / proportions because I personally am not a fan of three stone settings; and I usually like to just halo my coloured stones.

But to your point about size, I personally prefer my coloured stones to be sizeable. I have a friend who has a certified minor oil emerald in the size range you’re eyeing that was not wildly or unreasonably expensive; and because it was not Colombian origin and had some minor eye visible inclusions was an extremely reasonable price. So I don’t think someone would look at your emerald and conclude “this is unreasonably expensive and has to be fake” if that’s what you’re wondering.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have an answer to your other questions about side stones / proportions because I personally am not a fan of three stone settings; and I usually like to just halo my coloured stones.

But to your point about size, I personally prefer my coloured stones to be sizeable. I have a friend who has a certified minor oil emerald in the size range you’re eyeing that was not wildly or unreasonably expensive; and because it was not Colombian origin and had some minor eye visible inclusions was an extremely reasonable price. So I don’t think someone would look at your emerald and conclude “this is unreasonably expensive and has to be fake” if that’s what you’re wondering.
Ok yes thank you. It’s not going to be a daily wear piece, kind of for fun and fashion but mentally I don’t want to place it in the costume realm. The setting will be done by CVB and she does such fine work.

Admittedly I don’t know much about emeralds, just that I’ve always wanted one!
I’m probably getting it from Finewater and the stones do have some inclusions which I like.
Thank you!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can get high quality lab emerald’s in these sizes that will work. I have my 9mm aquamarine in an antique halo. The Asscher cut moves like pools of water. It really is amazing in person. I just interviewed Caysie for some of our lab stone groups on reddit and I know she can source something for you from Gary or even Bryan from Stag & Fitch. He is ramping up for a mega store for lab stones that should open soon. Caysie also just sent me a beautiful hydrothermal sapphire halo that she finished. I don’t want to post it in case it is someone’s ring here but it is stuning.

Did you see the beautiful halo that @Mreader just finished with Debebian’s. It was done with a green tourmaline that was also beautifully done. That might be another option for you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the solitaire and that is in my wish list for an an emerald in that style. My last thread I almost bought a ring that looked like an emerald (it wasn’t - different story) and it was 3ct. I’m getting a three stone made with DK now. My tourmaline is big. I got a three stone with my emerald bc it was 8x6. For a solitaire I want a 10mm too. I don’t the that’s too big esp for solitaire.

Not the topic you mentioned but Gary’s emeralds have inclusions? Bc I was thinking a lab from finewater too. But I thought it would look too “perfect”. I like some jardin so it looks natural.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ring I saw yesterday:

FCA94A7C-E0F1-4DBD-AC1E-E7EF2F1E13D9.jpeg

My tourmaline:

0743F7FB-701C-4099-8E09-EDF6CDCFEB1A.jpeg

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Ring I saw yesterday:

FCA94A7C-E0F1-4DBD-AC1E-E7EF2F1E13D9.jpeg

My tourmaline:

0743F7FB-701C-4099-8E09-EDF6CDCFEB1A.jpeg

Haha yes! I actually inquired about a tourmaline because I saw how gorgeous yours was!! He said he didn’t have any like that at the moment. I love your ring and the stone.

Gary said the rough he had had inclusions in it and I thought that was great bc I like that. I wouldn’t want it too clean and perfect.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can get high quality lab emerald’s in these sizes that will work. I have my 9mm aquamarine in an antique halo. The Asscher cut moves like pools of water. It really is amazing in person. I just interviewed Caysie for some of our lab stone groups on reddit and I know she can source something for you from Gary or even Bryan from Stag & Fitch. He is ramping up for a mega store for lab stones that should open soon. Caysie also just sent me a beautiful hydrothermal sapphire halo that she finished. I don’t want to post it in case it is someone’s ring here but it is stuning.

Did you see the beautiful halo that @Mreader just finished with Debebian’s. It was done with a green tourmaline that was also beautifully done. That might be another option for you.
Yes I did!! I love that ring as well and I like the lighter minty green. I asked Gary about a stone just like that but he didn’t have any at the moment.
I’m really in no rush for it. The problem is I’m having a 3.72 MRB lab diamond set right now by Caysie. I was tormented by the option of an asscher lab created but ultimately went with the MRB for sparkle factor and size and color of this particular one that Jonathan found me.
So now I’m trying to satisfy my need for a step cut in a more budget friendly way haha!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry forgot to ask, would you say the cuts from stag and Fitch are on par with Gary? I’m new to all this but I love Gary’s precision cutting. Thanks

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry forgot to ask, would you say the cuts from stag and Fitch are on par with Gary? I’m new to all this but I love Gary’s precision cutting. Thanks
Yes, Bryan is very particular about cutting and quality. He is going through a major expansion so I know he is a little behind with single orders at the moment. Caysie just set one of his stones in a halo. I don’t think she has posted pics yet so I hate to add it here but you can ask her about the Jolie sapphire.

I did notice a pinkish Asscher tourmaline for sale on Loupe Troop yesterday that is around 8mm from greyhoundgirl. I don’t know if that is your color /but it looks really well cut and affordable to.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Bryan is very particular about cutting and quality. He is going through a major expansion so I know he is a little behind with single orders at the moment. Caysie just set one of his stones in a halo. I don’t think she has posted pics yet so I hate to add it here but you can ask her about the Jolie sapphire.

I did notice a pinkish Asscher tourmaline for sale on Loupe Troop yesterday that is around 8mm from greyhoundgirl. I don’t know if that is your color /but it looks really well cut and affordable to.

I saw that - a really pretty stone at a great price!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Well I bought this... DCC172A2-9BE3-4894-940A-F88A37883E7E.jpeg

It’s more expensive than I was looking to do but I swear that always happens! Will report back when it comes!

It’s bigger as well but I just got a 10 mm lab MRB and I figure it makes sense to have a 10 mm emerald so it’s all balanced. Right?!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing! Do you love it?!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the three stone settings, personally! I'd buy some czs in different sizes and play around with what sidestones look best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results