shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab diamonds - can they fluoresce differently than earth mined?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I read that earth mined fluoresces blue and that lab grown can fluoresce other colours… but I can’t find this info online and can’t remember where I heard this.

Anyone know?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
EGD can fluoresce different colors, but I think blue is the most common.

LGD can also, but I think some degree of phosphorescence is more commonplace (especially for Type IIb HPHT).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGD can fluoresce different colors, but I think blue is the most common.

LGD can also, but I think some degree of phosphorescence is more commonplace (especially for Type IIb HPHT).

I wish I could find v strong blue fluor in an LGD, but sadly no luck

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could find v strong blue fluor in an LGD, but sadly no luck

I thought this was not possible but would love to hear from experts.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could remember where I read about this!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
There was a talk given at GIA early this year which talked about lab diamond phosphorescence. It's been linked a few times on different threads, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe late Jan, early Feb?

Isn't on the GIA's youtube channel. Was a great talk that also included the different tinges to look for in lab vs mined.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There was a talk given at GIA early this year which talked about lab diamond phosphorescence. It's been linked a few times on different threads, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe late Jan, early Feb?

Isn't on the GIA's youtube channel. Was a great talk that also included the different tinges to look for in lab vs mined.

This one?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yes @DejaWiz! Thanks!

The Phosphorscence section starts at 47:06. They show HPHT stones phosphorescencing orange, and they say it's due to the presence of boron.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven't seen a colorless LGD with fluorescence.
The majority of the pink lab diamonds have a strong Orange fluorescence. Kind of weird:) It must be caused by whatever treatment is used to turn them pink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results