shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamonds Australia

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'm looking to buy a lab diamond in Perth, AU. The only places I can find are out of state and I'd like to be able to look at the stone first. Does anyone know of anywhere they can recommend?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @shrimpsandbananas

We have a lab-grown forum here

I have requested that your thread be moved to that forum. Hopefully, some Aussies can help you over there. I know a lot of
PSers order stones from other countries without any issues. Not sure how it works for Australia though (import fees ect.)

Anyway, they should be able to help you over there!

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
Hi @shrimpsandbananas

We have a lab-grown forum here

I have requested that your thread be moved to that forum. Hopefully, some Aussies can help you over there. I know a lot of
PSers order stones from other countries without any issues. Not sure how it works for Australia though (import fees ect.)

Anyway, they should be able to help you over there!

Thank you

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
HI there. I am in Perth too. There are some Perth based brokers who can bring in lab stones for you but I bought mine via the US. It depends if you feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise your best best is Novita Diamonds who can at least do a remove inspection with you perhaps from Melbourne and go from there.

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
HI there. I am in Perth too. There are some Perth based brokers who can bring in lab stones for you but I bought mine via the US. It depends if you feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise your best best is Novita Diamonds who can at least do a remove inspection with you perhaps from Melbourne and go from there.

Hey fellow Perth-ite, and thanks!! Did you have the stone by itself shipped, or did you have it set in a ring and then shipped? I have looked at James Allen but I don’t understand how much tax I’d be paying to ship a ring across.

Do you know which brokers will bring in lab diamonds? I’ve also looked at Novita, there’s a beautiful I coloured one but I then went down a rabbit hole on here looking up IGI and seemingly the American IGI are loose with their gradings (most Novita lab diamonds have USA IGI reports) so the I may be a K/L. I think I’ve read too much and confused myself

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Lavana Diamonds? Actually, they seem to be out-of-state too.

Last edited:

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at Lavana Diamonds? Actually, they seem to be out-of-state too.

I haven’t, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll still take a look even if they’re out of state. I’d love to be able to take a weekend trip to Sydney to look at some of the Novita diamonds but it’s too risky at the moment with Covid and sudden lockdowns.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Hey fellow Perth-ite, and thanks!! Did you have the stone by itself shipped, or did you have it set in a ring and then shipped? I have looked at James Allen but I don’t understand how much tax I’d be paying to ship a ring across.

Do you know which brokers will bring in lab diamonds? I’ve also looked at Novita, there’s a beautiful I coloured one but I then went down a rabbit hole on here looking up IGI and seemingly the American IGI are loose with their gradings (most Novita lab diamonds have USA IGI reports) so the I may be a K/L. I think I’ve read too much and confused myself

I found the stone using Rare Carat but the US vendor couldn't ship to Australia so I had to use another vendor in Canada who got the stone from them... The lengths we go to! That particular stone I had set by my jeweller here in Perth. My Asscher is graded L but could easily pass for K to be honest. It's IGI graded but I think they're not entirely off. It's only a consideration if you're after near colourless (GHI) then I think you'd notice any discrepancies then.

I have bought a mined stone and set in a ring from JA and had no issues. I had to pay 15% tax and $85 for some entrance fee set by Customs. A loose stone will only incur 5% but I don't remember getting charged tax on the lab stone. Best thing to do is assume you'll be taxed!

Googling found me this: https://www.stelios.com.au/lab-grown-diamonds/ - Perth based.

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
I found the stone using Rare Carat but the US vendor couldn't ship to Australia so I had to use another vendor in Canada who got the stone from them... The lengths we go to! That particular stone I had set by my jeweller here in Perth. My Asscher is graded L but could easily pass for K to be honest. It's IGI graded but I think they're not entirely off. It's only a consideration if you're after near colourless (GHI) then I think you'd notice any discrepancies then.

I have bought a mined stone and set in a ring from JA and had no issues. I had to pay 15% tax and $85 for some entrance fee set by Customs. A loose stone will only incur 5% but I don't remember getting charged tax on the lab stone. Best thing to do is assume you'll be taxed!

Googling found me this: https://www.stelios.com.au/lab-grown-diamonds/ - Perth based.

Well, I fell down a deep rabbit hole after reading your last post. My partner and I went out to a few stores at the weekend just to get an idea for settings/sizing (I fell in love with the Tiffany setting). I somehow forgot to go to Stelios, but will definitely go this weekend. I was pretty certain we were going with Novita, however, I came across Yadav and their prices are very good - even with the taxes taken into consideration! Only snag is I don't like any of their settings so I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to get a loose stone shipped and then set over here, but I've heard settings are very expensive here. Would you mind sharing who your jeweller is in Perth?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I fell down a deep rabbit hole after reading your last post. My partner and I went out to a few stores at the weekend just to get an idea for settings/sizing (I fell in love with the Tiffany setting). I somehow forgot to go to Stelios, but will definitely go this weekend. I was pretty certain we were going with Novita, however, I came across Yadav and their prices are very good - even with the taxes taken into consideration! Only snag is I don't like any of their settings so I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to get a loose stone shipped and then set over here, but I've heard settings are very expensive here. Would you mind sharing who your jeweller is in Perth?

Ha ha! We've all been there :D Yeah... you really can't beat the value of stones bought out of the US. Even when our dollar was really underperforming, even with taxes, buying diamonds was just plain cheaper in the US or anywhere overseas really... The only issue is having to trust your research and that you'll like the stone that you get because while most places accept exchanges, it's a pain in the butt to return a stone. Fortunately I haven't had to do that.

Have you had a look at James Allen? Their lab stones aren't the cheapest but they have some nice settings and if you pick your time, they take 25% off settings.

Otherwise do consider getting the stone only. You will pay less taxes with loose stones. That way you can really enjoy your stone and work with a jeweller to get a nice setting done. As for setting prices in Perth, if you find a bench that doesn't have a shop (mine is Jackson Tait), they are quite reasonable. Some are happy to use your old jewellery for gold which keeps prices down too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results