shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab diamond testing as Moissanite?

Zamonster

Rough_Rock
I just ordered a lab diamond eternity ring and received it today. I took it to a local jeweler and told them it was lab diamonds and asked if they could test and verify. They tested and said they were coming back as Moissanite but their diamond tester doesn't always register lab diamonds - is that true? I have ordered a diamond tester on amazon to see if I get the same results but my instinct is to trust a diamond tester that a jeweler uses instead of one from Amazon.

This was a custom order so I don't know if I can even return it for a refund but I also want lab diamond since that's what I paid for.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
A lab diamond should test as a diamond. But those testers are not always reliable. A competent jeweler should be able to differentiate moissanite from diamond visually and under a loupe. Where did you get the eternity ring from? It might be a matter of the jeweler spotting moissanite and using the tester to let you know in a non-confrontational way. Or it could be the “jeweler” was more of a sales associate who lacks knowledge and was relying on a faulty tester.

Zamonster

Rough_Rock
the stones are only 3mm so I wasn't sure if it'd be obvious in small stones. I did tell them I bought the ring online and it's supposed to be lab diamonds and just wanted to be sure as I want to make sure I am getting what I expect. I have worked with this jeweler before but it was a sales associate that was testing the ring.

I got the ring from Etsy. Idk if I should give the shop name since I don't want to give bad publicity since even the local jeweler didn't seem confident in their answer.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
the stones are only 3mm so I wasn't sure if it'd be obvious in small stones. I did tell them I bought the ring online and it's supposed to be lab diamonds and just wanted to be sure as I want to make sure I am getting what I expect. I have worked with this jeweler before but it was a sales associate that was testing the ring.

I got the ring from Etsy. Idk if I should give the shop name since I don't want to give bad publicity since even the local jeweler didn't seem confident in their answer.

I understand not wanting to name the shop. If it’s a reputable well-established seller I’d be more likely to believe the tester was faulty. But with Etsy shops in general you definitely want to evaluate them with a critical lens and read the fine print and all that.

I’d get a second opinion from a reputable local jeweler, and maybe contact the Etsy seller and describe what happened and just ask how they’d advise you move forward.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I took my lightbox MMDs to a high end jeweler in town to be reset, and the woman who helped me said that not only were they testing as non-diamonds, she couldn’t spot the lightbox hallmark with the loupe In one of them. As I did see the hallmark with a loupe and I have faith that de Beers is selling me diamonds when they say they are selling me diamonds, I have to say I was not super impressed with the “jeweler”. So you may be in a similar situation.

Zamonster

Rough_Rock
Thank you both @123ducklings & @m-cubed

Tomorrow I will take it to another jeweler to get a second opinion. I guess I just expected a more definitive answer not 'well they're testing as moissanite BUT it could be our diamond tester' lol

I don't want to accuse the etsy seller of something shady - but I do want a refund if my ring is infact moissanite

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What you want is an appraisal, so talk to a qualified appraiser not a random sales associate. Get it in writing, signed, and show it to the seller if there’s a problem.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most thermal testers aren’t accurate seperating Moissanite from diamonds because they have a similar thermal transference rate.
Presidum does have a specific tester called SAM which is more advanced and can differentiate between Moissanite and diamond but a jeweller should be relying on observation using a loupe to ID diamonds from Moissanite.
if You doubt if the gems are diamonds, take it to an appraiser who has the right experience and tools to assess.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a loupe? Moissanite has double reflection, so you should be able to see some of that. Also even without loupe, hold the stone super close to your eyes (so close that your vision blurs) and look for little rainbows with a light source. If you see them as doubles, that is moissanite. This can be tricky with small stones.

Zamonster

Rough_Rock
@nojs I don't have a loupe and the only other diamonds I have are even smaller in my engagement ring setting & wedding band so I don't feel like I really have anything to compare it to.

I'm going to do some searching to figure out where I should take it to get appraised. Do you guys think I should tell them it's lab diamond and ask for confirmation of that? Or should I just take it in and ask for an appraisal and see what they say?

Zamonster

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I found another local jeweler and just dropped my ring off to be appraised but they did test it and said it was testing as diamonds. However in about a week I'll have a complete appraisal and peace of mind

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell Moissy from lab/MMD using a 20x and 30x loupe, for 3mm stones too.

DK :))

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
I just ordered a lab diamond eternity ring and received it today. I took it to a local jeweler and told them it was lab diamonds and asked if they could test and verify. They tested and said they were coming back as Moissanite but their diamond tester doesn't always register lab diamonds - is that true? I have ordered a diamond tester on amazon to see if I get the same results but my instinct is to trust a diamond tester that a jeweler uses instead of one from Amazon.

This was a custom order so I don't know if I can even return it for a refund but I also want lab diamond since that's what I paid for.

Send the item to GIA for stone identification. I purchased an estate diamond ring last year and have taken it to 3 local jewelers. They all said it was moissanite even though 2 diamond testers said it was diamond. I told the business I bought it from but she won’t refund my money. I sent the stone to GIA for id and it came back mousssnite. Filed small claims suit on seller and now Judge Judy TV program called me to see if I want to be on the show regarding this.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Send the item to GIA for stone identification. I purchased an estate diamond ring last year and have taken it to 3 local jewelers. They all said it was moissanite even though 2 diamond testers said it was diamond. I told the business I bought it from but she won’t refund my money. I sent the stone to GIA for id and it came back mousssnite. Filed small claims suit on seller and now Judge Judy TV program called me to see if I want to be on the show regarding this.

Judge Judy !
That sounds fun
i bet you'll win !

Are you tempted to do it ?

Zamonster

Rough_Rock

Send it to GIA to be appraised? They are lab diamond and as far as I know GIA doesn't grade them. I'm confident in the ability of the appraiser that I dropped my ring off with.

Good luck on Judge judy though- I hope you are able to get your money back

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wish those gadgets were never invented. I have the very first thermal tester that does not beep - no flashing lights. Just a big old needle - you judge by the speed of the needle.
Those gadgets cause heaps of issues, even when used by trained gemologists (the lazy ones).
And yes - a 10X loupe and know how separates Moss from diamond.

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Assuming the Etsy seller is not scamming you, it's very likely that your ring has HPHT grown diamonds that contain boron trapped in the carbon crystal.

The boron in the diamond does a few things:
  1. Makes the diamonds have a faint blue tinge
  2. Makes the diamonds glow in the dark after exposure to sunlight or blacklights
  3. Makes the diamonds electrically conductive
#3 causes false positives on simple diamond testers as natural diamonds are not electrically conductive (unless they are fancy blue diamonds).

Here's more details about blue nuance:

Here's a simple at-home test you can do to see if the diamonds have boron in them- take the ring out in the sun, then go into a dark room and see if the diamonds glow:

FWIW - we reject copious amounts of lab diamonds from 0.01ct up to 5+ct due to boron defects in the diamonds.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
I am curious, where would you buy a blue nuance MMD. I think the blue and the phosphorescence is fun. Is the rough so cheap that one would essentially only pay a cutting/setting fee? Where would one buy such MM stones.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Send it to GIA to be appraised? They are lab diamond and as far as I know GIA doesn't grade them. I'm confident in the ability of the appraiser that I dropped my ring off with.

Good luck on Judge judy though- I hope you are able to get your money back

GIA grades lab diamonds.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Was the first jeweler a big box chain? Their jewelers kind of suck.

My sister has a moissanite ring because her husband is an optical engineer and is fascinated with them. A beautiful, very expensive platinum custom setting.

A Fred Meyer 'jeweler' cleaned it with my mom's ring for fun and came back aghast that it was a 'fake' and made a giant fuss over it and completely humiliated her.

Meanwhile they're selling stones that look like frozen spittle set in 14k for exhorbanant prices.

Zamonster

Rough_Rock

My sister has a moissanite ring because her husband is an optical engineer and is fascinated with them. A beautiful, very expensive platinum custom setting.

A Fred Meyer 'jeweler' cleaned it with my mom's ring for fun and came back aghast that it was a 'fake' and made a giant fuss over it and completely humiliated her.

Meanwhile they're selling stones that look like frozen spittle set in 14k for exhorbanant prices.

I didn't realize GIA graded lab diamonds, good to know.

No, unfortunately the first store wasn't a big chain, it was a local family owned store that I've actually worked with in the past. However, I was being helped by a sales associate and asked them to take a look at it instead of a jeweler. Thankfully, I found another local store to do an appraisal and I'm just waiting on getting that back. I'm sure they're busy with the holidays though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's really bad form
They just lost a customer for life
who can afford that?

My freind who worked at the mall store said she would never ever tell anyone they had any kind of fake

I did have her test my auction win - all that beeping was kinda fun

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
Judge Judy !
That sounds fun
i bet you'll win !

Are you tempted to do it ?

I am tempted and also Hot Bench tv program called asking if I wanted to be there on their program. Only thing is that they pay up to $5000 plus an appearance fee and sadly I paid more than that for the ring, GIA, shipping etc.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am tempted and also Hot Bench tv program called asking if I wanted to be there on their program. Only thing is that they pay up to $5000 plus an appearance fee and sadly I paid more than that for the ring, GIA, shipping etc.

:(2
Dang :(2

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
I just keep thinking abiut your hard earned $$$ :confused2:

I know I’ve thought about that too but I have to let that go. I’m not even mad at her, I just think that how she’s handled this is very poor business practice. I haven’t bashed her or her business on FB & only my husband and sister know about it. I wanted to take the high road but if she wants everyone to know how she conducts business, everyone in the country is about to find out lol.

hou

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I found another local jeweler and just dropped my ring off to be appraised but they did test it and said it was testing as diamonds. However in about a week I'll have a complete appraisal and peace of mind

Good I've heard that hthp (high temperature high pressure) lab diamonds test sometimes as moisanite. I have a legitimate lad diamond from IGI with the certificate, the Stamp and everything that tests moisanite.

hou

Rough_Rock
Can an earth diamond test as moisanite ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results