shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamond Check - H&A HCA 1.2 but Looks Like Size "bigger"

tom3186

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of my diamond search for an engagement ring and I came across a particular diamond that looks like it hits most check marks. Additionally the IGI certificate also notes this is a H&A cut.

Details: 1.56 Carats, F Color, Ideal Cut, VVS2

But my main concerns are:
1) the HCA tool, is telling me that this diamond would be great for earrings and pendants as opposed to a ring
2) the grading certificate is from last October... so this diamond has been sitting around for a year and no one else wants it
3) price is $5300 which seems to be on the cheaper side compared to other IGI cert diamonds from the same website (brilliant earth)
4) website has photos/videos of other IGI diamonds but not this one and it's hard to make out the picture from the provided certificate.

Is this going to look dull (is this a shallow diamond) even thought HCA indicates most items are "excellent"?

1601365873721.png 1601366265194.png 1601366308146.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s still better than 99% of diamonds out there and if you like the price I would go for it.did you check rare caret? They have filters you can put in to specify table, depth and angles. They might have your diamond for a different price.

VJ020

Rough_Rock
Shallow(ER) diamonds will be able to boast a larger than standard diameter but at the cost of fisheye effect under the table. The fish eye effect will affect light performance making it look smaller but that only gets worse the shallower your diamond becomes. Your specs, on the otherhand, look pretty good to me.

The crown is definitely a bit shallower and the 40.9PA approaches the dreaded 41PA where light leakages under the table begin to occur. If you view a sample of Brian Gavin, JannPaul, and WhiteFlash diamonds almost 99% of their super ideal cut diamonds are 40.8 or 40.6 PA and I think that speaks volume about the importance of the PA. At $5300 that is definitely a bit on the expensive side in my opinion when compared to Tianyu or Yadis, but it is understandable for the peace of mind and return policy of an american company.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shallow(ER) diamonds will be able to boast a larger than standard diameter but at the cost of fisheye effect under the table. The fish eye effect will affect light performance making it look smaller but that only gets worse the shallower your diamond becomes. Your specs, on the otherhand, look pretty good to me.

The crown is definitely a bit shallower and the 40.9PA approaches the dreaded 41PA where light leakages under the table begin to occur. If you view a sample of Brian Gavin, JannPaul, and WhiteFlash diamonds almost 99% of their super ideal cut diamonds are 40.8 or 40.6 PA and I think that speaks volume about the importance of the PA. At $5300 that is definitely a bit on the expensive side in my opinion when compared to Tianyu or Yadis, but it is understandable for the peace of mind and return policy of an american company.

I don't believe PA of 41 degrees automatically means leakage. If the crown angle is complementary then it should still perform well and even (AIUI) get AGS000. (I may be wrong on the AGS thing.)

Don't forget the number on the grading report will be an average of the 8 facet, so some might be shallower and some might be deeper.

VJ020

Rough_Rock
I believe your interpretation of my post is incorrect. I did not say 41=leakage and I also do not believe diamond performance is binary (ie. leak/no leak).

In contrast, I said that as you approach 41PA, light leakage begins to occur due to the nature of how averages work. I supported my statement by demonstrating that 99% of the JP, BG, WF super ideal cuts never seem to consider diamonds with 41 or greater PA. Whereas, they seem to be slightly more slack with crown angles.

With that said, I agree that these numbers are averages. A visual or optical analysis is equally important, if that option is available.

tom3186

Rough_Rock
It’s still better than 99% of diamonds out there and if you like the price I would go for it.did you check rare caret? They have filters you can put in to specify table, depth and angles. They might have your diamond for a different price.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they don't have the same diamond, but definitely a valuable tool I will be using.

tom3186

Rough_Rock

Ah thanks, I didn't realize those PA values represent the batt majority of the super ideals. I've been reading that crown angles are less important and that you need to pair crown angles that complement the PA. Any thoughts on this? At first I found ranges that indicate 33.7 was in the low side, but it seems to complement the 40.9 PA.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah thanks, I didn't realize those PA values represent the batt majority of the super ideals. I've been reading that crown angles are less important and that you need to pair crown angles that complement the PA. Any thoughts on this? At first I found ranges that indicate 33.7 was in the low side, but it seems to complement the 40.9 PA.

As crown angle increases, pavilion angle decreases - and vice versa.

It's something like a 1 degree : 0.2 degree relationship.

(So 34 crown with 40.8 pavilion, and 35 crown with 40.6 pavilion.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results