shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab created sapphire

Ziggy85

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Where can I find an authentic lab grown - royal blue sapphire (Octagon) that's at least 16x12 mm

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
a few who seem well thought of here for custom precision cuts of lab gems (as well as mined gems) are: Finewater Gems, Precisiongems.com, Stag & Finch and Jeff White. I don't know if they can do one that large but it's a starting point anyway.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a very large cut stone, hopefully roughs grow to that size!

Gary at Finewater Gems cut mine, 4.74ct, 8.1 x 8.1 x 7.7mm, glamour shots from Gary:

DK :))

Ziggy85

Rough_Rock
That's beautiful. But are there cheaper places? I checked some out.. it's very expensive? Going into thousands?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful. But are there cheaper places? I checked some out.. it's very expensive? Going into thousands?

Thanks!

Considering the size you are after, I am not surprised - like natural gemstones, the larger the roughs the more costly they are to produce in fine quality!

The cost of the rougsh aside, there is also the cost of cutting to be taken into consideration.

The likes of Gary and Jeff W are precision cutters, and quality comes at a price.

No doubt non-precision cutting would be cheaper.

However, why spend a lot of money to get a large rough for it to receive a mediocre cut?!

Each to their own and personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
You could try asking Tiyanu or Starsgem or Provence or one of the Chinese moissanite companies about their lab sapphire. You'll have to dig through the threads to find their contact info though as i have never bought from overseas. I don't personally love the colour or the way they cut their lab coloured stones though so I would rather stick with Stag and Finch first or one of the ones Seaurchin and DK suggested even if they are more expensive. I know they will turn out lovely stones, especially Stag and Finch since I have bought from them before.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Another thought, for a big stone at a low cost, is to look for a colored CZ.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Bigger stones take a longer to cut, and a lot longer to polish. Also for lab created blue sapphire, flame fusion material which is the least expensive is not an option for larger stones, so you would need Hydrothermal or pulled material which is rather expensive.

Figure for the rough the size you have in mind, could end up being several hundred dollars. Then the time to correspond, develop a design, saw the rough, cut and polish, photograph, invoice, package and ship could amount to 10 to 12 hours.

How much do you pay your plumber or furnace service guy per hour?

You can see that the finished stone will be well over $1000, unless you find some cutter who is willing to work for sweat shop wages.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Some more possibilities to consider are blue topaz or amethyst too, though they aren't exactly the color you wanted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results