shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Created EC - Help!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
My BF just purchased this lab created emerald cut diamond from James Allen:

I know buying online is cheaper and easier, etc. but a little worried about not seeing it in person (I know they have a good return policy, but still). Anyone see any issues with this diamond? I definitely liked the 1.35-1.45 length to width ratios better in store (as opposed to a ratio that is too skinny) - but any concerns there?

Any comments/thoughts would be really helpful as I anxiously wait for it to ship!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but to my eyes that is nice!

Active at most angles, not very leaky (which most ECs are to some extent at some angles) and D/VVS is always going to be 'mind-clean' in terms of colour and clarity :))

It also isn't showing any obvious 'stria' ('layers' of material) which some MMD stones show, so all in all, it looks a great find IMO! :)

You will have a Returns period to inspect it so do check it out in as many different lighting environments as you can, to make sure you are happy with it, and post pics if you are happy to do so!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a beautiful diamond! I think you will be very happy!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert but to my eyes that is nice!

Active at most angles, not very leaky (which most ECs are to some extent at some angles) and D/VVS is always going to be 'mind-clean' in terms of colour and clarity :))

It also isn't showing any obvious 'stria' ('layers' of material) which some MMD stones show, so all in all, it looks a great find IMO! :)

You will have a Returns period to inspect it so do check it out in as many different lighting environments as you can, to make sure you are happy with it, and post pics if you are happy to do so!

Thanks for taking a look! Couple questions - what do you mean by active and leaky?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to see it in person but it looks worth a shot to me.

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
You have to see it in person but it looks worth a shot to me.

Thanks for taking the time. Anything I should definitely look out for when reviewing it in person? Thanks in advance!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the time. Anything I should definitely look out for when reviewing it in person? Thanks in advance!

You want to see if the facets dance and light up in a pleasing way like not all at once. If they light up at once, then they will go dark at the same time as well.

This one is definitely worth the trouble to see in person.... hopefully it will be one and done. Keep us posted!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking a look! Couple questions - what do you mean by active and leaky?
Stones can be leaky and/or 'window' - it means they can go see-through and the light travel straight through them in each direction, rather than light entering the top of the stone then being reflected back out to the viewer's eyes (the latter of which is the whole point of a diamond - because if it was/is see-through, it wouldn't sparkle!).

In terms of 'active', I mean in terms of all the faceting across the stone turning 'on' (reflecting light) and 'off' (not reflecting light), which creates visual interest and enables the stone to perform well at a large range of viewing angles.

For examples:

Good - faceting is on and off across the stone in a lively manner, at a wide range of angles, with very few facets going see-through:

Bad - see how all the facets next to each other are 'off' (dark) when it is face up? That is 'obstruction' from the camera - in other words it is reflecting the dark camera lens/body back to the viewer. By all being 'off' at the same time, it means it will look dark in real life at normal viewing distances. At the opposite end of the spectrum, most of the facets are 'on' at the same time when the stone gets to about 45 degrees. This means it is likely to be somewhat boring to look at - either all 'off' or all 'on':

Bad - can you see how the stone is basically the same colour as the background? That's because it's leaky and not reflecting light like it should be doing:

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@OoohShiny: Thank you so much for taking the time - the links and descriptions really help! It definitely makes me feel better about the one he picked out.

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
My BF just purchased this lab created emerald cut diamond from James Allen:

I know buying online is cheaper and easier, etc. but a little worried about not seeing it in person (I know they have a good return policy, but still). Anyone see any issues with this diamond? I definitely liked the 1.35-1.45 length to width ratios better in store (as opposed to a ratio that is too skinny) - but any concerns there?

Any comments/thoughts would be really helpful as I anxiously wait for it to ship!

James Allen? I love them. Don't be worried.. their reputation precedes them. :)

*ETA.. omg girrrrrllll.. that stone is TDF! ;-) lol

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
James Allen? I love them. Don't be worried.. their reputation precedes them. :)

*ETA.. omg girrrrrllll.. that stone is TDF! ;-) lol

I know - I’ve heard good things about JA, but it’s just so hard buying sight unseen. Not sure when it will get here - getting so nervous!! But thanks - I hope it looks as good in person!!

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know - I’ve heard good things about JA, but it’s just so hard buying sight unseen. Not sure when it will get here - getting so nervous!! But thanks - I hope it looks as good in person!!

Girl, don't be. JA is wonderful. PS wouldn't have them as a respected vendor if they weren't :) I can't wait to see it on your finger!!!! I'm kinda jealous. ;-)

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@Voldemort Haha - thanks! I will feel soooo much better when it is here. It arrives tomorrow - so fingers crossed!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is nice! How does it sparkle when you move it around? Be sure to try lots of different lighting environments and don’t freak out if it looks yellow/brown/etc in some settings. It could be what you are wearing or the color of your walls. Be very careful not to do this over cement or something that could damage the stone if you accidentally drop it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that looks substantial! :)

As kgizo mentioned, check it out in lots of different lighting environments!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
That is nice! How does it sparkle when you move it around? Be sure to try lots of different lighting environments and don’t freak out if it looks yellow/brown/etc in some settings. It could be what you are wearing or the color of your walls. Be very careful not to do this over cement or something that could damage the stone if you accidentally drop it.

Thanks for your response - I've tried it out in a number of different lighting environments and it performs well I think. I don't see any yellow/brown. All of the facets light up, good sparkle on the top and bottom, good glint on the middle band. I think it's a keeper!

But of course - let me know what you think! Here's a link with a number of videos:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a YouTube account?

I am reluctant to download things off the internet if I don't have to ;-) lol

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
Do you have a YouTube account?

I am reluctant to download things off the internet if I don't have to ;-) lol

I don't - but you don't have to download or even sign in to drop box. Should be able to preview them in drop box in your browser without having to download.

1576594172663.png

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
Here are the dirct l
I don't - but you don't have to download or even sign in to drop box. Should be able to preview them in drop box in your browser without having to download.

1576594172663.png

Here are the direct links, no download required:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the dirct l

Here are the direct links, no download required:

Apologies for the slow reply and thank you for the videos!

I'm glad you're checking it out in a range of lighting conditions :))

I like that the facets twinkle around the stone as it moves round - that is a good thing in my (non-expert!) opinion.

It goes dark across the middle at some angles, but then I am pretty sure that all ECs do that when there is no light to reflect from that particular angle, so I'm certain it's anything to worry about.

It also doesn't seem to show any tint beyond the colour of the walls of the room, which is exactly what you'd expect from a D or any colourless stone.

Are you loving it all the time? Is it distracting you? Is there anything that bugs you about it?

Now is the time to be super-critical and reflect on if it really calls to your heartstrings (as unemotional as that is!) :)

I think it looks nice - videos with a monocular lens (so 99.99% of them, lol) always fail to properly capture scintillation and sparkle that we see with the binocular vision that two eyes gives us!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
Apologies for the slow reply and thank you for the videos!

I'm glad you're checking it out in a range of lighting conditions :))

I like that the facets twinkle around the stone as it moves round - that is a good thing in my (non-expert!) opinion.

It goes dark across the middle at some angles, but then I am pretty sure that all ECs do that when there is no light to reflect from that particular angle, so I'm certain it's anything to worry about.

It also doesn't seem to show any tint beyond the colour of the walls of the room, which is exactly what you'd expect from a D or any colourless stone.

Are you loving it all the time? Is it distracting you? Is there anything that bugs you about it?

Now is the time to be super-critical and reflect on if it really calls to your heartstrings (as unemotional as that is!) :)

I think it looks nice - videos with a monocular lens (so 99.99% of them, lol) always fail to properly capture scintillation and sparkle that we see with the binocular vision that two eyes gives us!

Apologies for my slow response - was traveling for work.

I completely agree with your assessment! It does go a little dark in the middle sometimes, but I agree with you that it seems that happens with any EC. And yes - it is totally colorless in person.

I am loving it - I find myself checking it every once in awhile :) I don't think anything bugs me - but I am excited to see it in a setting!

I agree about the lens of the camera. It is definitely more gorgeous in person and has more scintillation and sparkle in person than the video can possible capture.

Thanks again for taking so much time to look it over and reassure me!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
Big update! My boyfriend and I selected a custom setting!! We are setting our emerald cut stone in a three stone ring surrounded by two cushion cuts and small rounds on the band with a shared prong all in platinum!! I think it will be gorgeous!

The store had only one cushion in the right size - but this pic gives you an idea! (Sorry about the dust/fingerprints on the case!).

9ACBCEAD-692F-4E02-BAA5-200CF7430BA9.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results