shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Certification AGL GIA EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
Is one lab better than the other?
Which one should I look for. Is EGL a bad choice if so why?. What do you think of these

stats.

DIAMETER 5.68
Weight .71
crown 36%
crown height 16.4%
Pavil angle 42.4
pavil depth 45.4%
cutlet 1.4%
Table size 54.9%
Total depth 64.8%
Girdle .8

VS1 , F in color

What would you pay for this diamond?
Thanks in Advance.
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is the stone round?? If yes, RUN AWAY as fast as you can!! The pavilion is awfully deep and the stone will have a dark center... The depth is pretty high too (mainly because of the deep pavilion and of the high crown).
EGL isn't the best choice because they are more liberal than other labs, especially in color grades... BTW, EGL USA labs are far better than Israel, London and Antwerp's ones...
I advise you to stick with HRD, GIA or AGS, if you want a correctly graded diamond...
If you find an EGL stone you like, get it checked by a qualified appraiser...

Giangi
1.gif

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
Yes it's round brillant.

I thought the same thing about the depth but the diamond really does have a nice brillance to it. What would this be worth to you in a ball park range.

Thanks in Advance.
twirl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Assuming it's graded correctly (highly unusual), about 1800-2200$...

Giangi

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
I used a loop to look at the diamond and I did not see a dark center. Will I see it with or without a loop?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
No, a loupe isn't necessary... Read the cut tutorial and you'll understand what I'm talking about... I think there are some helpful pictures...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Here's that "dark center" Giangi's talking about. This diamond is what we call a "steep and deep" stone. Steep crown angles combined with a deep pavilion make for a stone which has a lot of light leakage inside the table facet and around the edge of the stone.

This is shown more clearly in the white and very pale pink areas in the DiamCalc computer simulated Idealscope image. Stones with these proportions usually have a "dark center" and a "dead edge", effectively reducing the visual diameter of the stone.

My guess is that a properly graded F/VS1 like this would cost you between 2200 to 2700 on the internet, and probably more from a bricks & mortar dealer.

0.71 RBC- JS.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The image shown has perfect symmetry, which is rare, and the star facet/lower girdle facet lengths may vary from your diamond. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond, or when the Sarin data is downloaded directly into the program. However, this "blind" reproduction should be helpful in indicating the major light performance aspects.
-----------

0.71 RBC- IS.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a recut, doesn't it Giangi? The high crown, deep pavilion & small table makes me think it was recut from an Old European Cut.

How much are they asking for it, Rattler?

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
They are asking $3600.00. The scintillation I guess is what makes it seems so brilliant. I mean everyone that doesn't know any better see's the ring and they are amazed. I just bought saturday, and the dealer is having a idenpendent appraiser come in wednesday to appraise it. I'm new to this but I felt like it wasn't the best cut because of the total depth. But again just looking at it seem so beautiful. I'm hoping to renogiate a price.

Thanks so much for all your input this is truley a learning experience.

loopy.gif

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
Cindy,

Thanks. I didn't think it was too cool that the dealer has the appaiser come and pays for it.

Thanks again.
wink2.gif

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
Cindy,

Thanks. I didn't think it was too cool that the dealer has the appaiser come and pays for it.

Thanks again.
wink2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it does look like an old european recut... Also the thin girdle makes me think this stone wasn't cut to reach 0.75... It would have a thick or very thick girdle... It really looks like a recut...

Giangi

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
What exactly is a re-cut? Or why recut it?

rattlerfxr

Rough_Rock
What exactly is a re-cut? Or why recut it?
read.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rattler. How'd you get that name, anyway?

A "recut" is a term which usually refers to a modern cut diamond which has been recut from an older cutting style. In your case, the proportions of the diamond suggest that it was recut from an Old European cut (circa 1910), which has a high crown, small table, thin girdle and deep pavilion.

The $3600 price on the diamond is a pretty standard retail price. If you really like the diamond, see what the best price they'll give you is, and make a decision. You might want to augment your knowledge by reading the tutorial above, checking out similarly graded stones on the PriceScope search engine, and look at other stones locally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results