shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab 2.5 cc engagement ring purchase support plz

jaskaranp

Rough_Rock
I am buying a lab 2.5 carat diamond, vs1, colour D, ideal cut

I am being told by the jeweller that an ideal cut is actually an excellent cut, and it is how they measure an excellent cut or a tolerance that they use when grading.

They are offering a free assessment from any appraiser to verify as long as it is local that they can take the diamond to so I was thinking of this one based on reviews:
located in Vancouver, BC, let me know if there are any other suggestions you'd suggest.

I had a hard time finding any content on an excellent cut compared with an ideal cut so I was hoping someone could help clarify this for me as I am very new and was looking at engagement rings for the first time.

I saw there was the Ideal Scope test and HCA test which I can use, but I do not have any certificate numbers, so I am not sure if I have to request that or if that is something after I decide to purchase the ring.

I saw Price Scope has a lot of resources so I have been reading a lot but would appreciate any advice on their thoughts on the above.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I know that you can look at 2 "ideal" cut diamonds and one will be better than the other. I honestly think you would be better asking the pros on here for help. I've used them for two purchases and been very, very happy. If you buy from an online vendor, just check their return policy before you buy. Most have decent policies because they know the best way to judge a diamond is in person and in all different lighting and using ASET and IdealScope images. ( you can buy the scopes if you're so inclined - see resources above).
If you post your specs and budget I think you'll have more success here.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @jaskaranp. I’m a little confused as to what sort of help you’re looking for from PSers. Do you have a particular stone you want us to look at? Is the stone in question uncertified and that’s why they want you to use the appraiser?

Congratulations on the upcoming engagement!

jaskaranp

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I really do appreciate both the responses above, thank you very much!

Who would be the pros, sorry I am new here, is there a different spot I would need to ask? Might be a silly question but any guidance would be helpful!

I went to Spence Diamonds and kept being told by the sales lady that they are the best diamonds on the market as they provide reports from GIA, IGA, IGI and their internal testing systems they use and how other shops do not provide the same as grading is very subjective.

I was thinking of buying from this wholesaler close to home, it is very similar to the sites/partners listed in the price scope website but as an extra measure, I was thinking of getting the diamond tested from a third party company. The person I am buying the ring from has mentioned they provide either a GIA, IGA, or IGI report, not all three like spence is claiming but the one that the diamond is affiliated with. I then have the option to take the diamond to the third party to verify if I choose. I was hoping to get the cert number that I could use to test on the price scope HCA test as well.

Was just looking for some advice if there is any additional steps I should take or if there was anything I missed.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hello there,

I really do appreciate both the responses above, thank you very much!

Who would be the pros, sorry I am new here, is there a different spot I would need to ask? Might be a silly question but any guidance would be helpful!

I went to Spence Diamonds and kept being told by the sales lady that they are the best diamonds on the market as they provide reports from GIA, IGA, IGI and their internal testing systems they use and how other shops do not provide the same as grading is very subjective.

I was thinking of buying from this wholesaler close to home, it is very similar to the sites/partners listed in the price scope website but as an extra measure, I was thinking of getting the diamond tested from a third party company. The person I am buying the ring from has mentioned they provide either a GIA, IGA, or IGI report, not all three like spence is claiming but the one that the diamond is affiliated with. I then have the option to take the diamond to the third party to verify if I choose. I was hoping to get the cert number that I could use to test on the price scope HCA test as well.

Was just looking for some advice if there is any additional steps I should take or if there was anything I missed.

Hi, “experts” refers to several of the very experienced consumer advocates who post on this board like @DejaWiz (and others). You are posting in the right place and once we have more details from you, I am sure they will chime in to help.
Some labs’ highest rating is “excellent” in various categories (GIA) and some do use the designation “ideal” (IGI). This applies to round diamonds. If you are looking for a fancy shape, let us know. Also, please let us know your budget.
How sparkly a diamond has depends on how much light it can take in and reflect back to your eye. A very precise and narrow range of angles shown on the certificate will give you the best information about the how much light it will reflect and therefore how much it will sparkle. You cannot rely on just an excellent or ideal designation on the certificate. You want an even more precise range than that. We refer to this as “super ideal” but that is also not a designation that you would find on a certificate. The HCA is an elimination tool to eliminate candidates from further examination. Ideal scope is a way to measure light return visually. These are all good tools to use in your search. However, it’s my experience that you will have an uphill battle trying to have a transparent conversation about any of this in a jewelry store. A lot of them think that a triple excellent is the best and there’s nothing else to say about it. If you are new to diamonds, I would suggest either going with one of our recommended vendors for super ideal cuts (which means the tightest parameters, and therefore the most light return confirmed by ideal scope and other measurements) OR giving all your parameters here, and following the specific suggestions of our knowledgeable members. This is not to say that a diamond that is not ideal or super ideal would not be beautiful. Some can be. It’s just if you have not seen thousands of diamonds personally in different lighting conditions, you won’t really be able to assess them and understand what compromises you are making just by viewing them in a jewelry store. The jewelry store is also not going to have a super ideal cut to show you in comparison.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, jaskaranp!
We'll find you some great options to pick from...your choice of seller(s) or we can recommend some.
Just a bit of info is needed:
1. What carat range around 2.5?
2. What color grades are you thinking?
3. Clarity...for guaranteed eye-clean, we usually recommend VS1+, but it is possible to find perfectly eye-clean VS2-SI1, sometimes even SI2.
4. Your budget cap for just the loose diamond.
5. What shape diamond.
6. Your location/area, in case we also need to consider any taxes or import fees in the purchase price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results