shape
carat
color
clarity

L color, I1 clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sweetestjamie

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have put a ring on layaway. It is currently set in yellow gold but I am going to have it set in white gold.

Currently, it has so much fire and brilliance that it shows no color unless you look at the tip of it from the side. It''s a 2.78 round, L color and I1 clarity and has a couple of inclusions that you can see if you hold the diamond up close, but again, the cut is so nice that it just sparkles like crazy!

We have been looking at rings for months and originally, I was set on going for quality over size, but this ring just didn''t want to get off my finger!! I keep having doubts but everytime I go back to look at it I fall in love all over again.

This is my question: I am wanting to set it in white gold or platinum but I''m worried that it will look really yellow! I''ve also been searching a lot on the internet and have found many other rings over 2.5 carats for about the same price that have a better color and clarity. Should I just keep this ring or do you think it would be better to go ahead and get one off the internet? Also, what are your opinions on the current ring I have on layaway?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
can't tell anything about the quality from the specs you gave...more info pleeze!
1.gif

Well, I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it from looking yellow. I know there was an amazing M posted here recently, and it looked great in the pic, but much to tinted for my taste. I don't go below G these days. I personally would get a smaller stone with a good color and a slightly better clarity. That's just me....

That said, you sound like you really love it! That's most important!!!!!!
1.gif
But, just be SURE you like a slightly yellow stone, b/c that's what that is....you can't hide it in my opinion! But it's OK to love an L!!!!
love.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
RB?
Price?
Specs?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oops- pet peeve: much "TOO" tinted...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI,

If the diamond is truly an L, then it would might look just fine in a white gold or platinum setting.

The problem is, it might not actually be an L.

Does the diamond have a GIA report? That would tell us more accurately what color the diamond actually is.

As far as color- Despite the fact that people voice strong opinions against "tinted" diamonds, I love the way a true K-L stone looks.

If it's well cut, a stone in these color ranges looks awesome, and saves you a huge amount of money over even an I color

340b.JPG

To give you an idea of a well cut "tinted" diamond, here's a stone we graded K. 3.40 Asscher

emeraldseeker

Rough_Rock
i have seen a K color round with a brilliant cut before. it was almost 3 carats.. you couldnt tell from the top but you could from the side near the culet like you said. The rounds seem to hide the color and inclusions a lot better. I bought an emerald so i had to go high color and clarity. I think the cut is most important with a round, but i love a really white stone, but this coming from someone who wasted their money getting a D color vs1
errrr.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on your expectations, at this point. The stone should be fine and get a pleasant look in white metal. It is easier to ride the trend for 'the whiter the better' than convince someone that these 'grades' are great without diamonds in hand. It is such a different matter to discuss 'papers' and shift through rocks
1.gif

I am glad to hear about your choice! I would likely stay with the color option and also look for it online. Of course, actually having the stone in hand is worth something - just not necesarily 30% premium.

How about trying to find a stone with equivalent grades (say L/M color, SI) online, with simmilar promise for cut and get some idea wether it is worth inquiring about it before taking the plunge on the one you already have at hand?

I do not consider worth it to change dramatically those grades - just get a great looking stone at a great price ! This is it, from you description
1.gif

Hm... you may want to take a look at Stephan's stone (the PS threads, for lack of better proximity).
9.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DBL: I was wondering if the picture you posted gives a true indication of what that color range would look like. I can tell right off that you have special lighting. Also, the diamond is against a BLACK background. I've always been told to look at stones against a WHITE background.

Wouldn't the stone be better represented without the lighting and against white?

Sweetestjamie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I just got back from a local jeweler and he guarantees a lower price than any competetor. It's a small family owned business, which is nice. He said that he can get me a G, SI-1, 2.26 for around $11,000.00. He also sells Yehuda clarity enhanced diamonds. Very tempting. Any suggestions about Yehuda's diamonds? He said that they're guaranteed for life and that he bought one for his own wife. She was there and her earings look beautiful.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
...He said that he can get me a G, SI-1, 2.26 for around $11,000.00.... I'd be careful - just look at the prices for 2.00 stones - I think it would be hard to touch a nice G/SI 1/2.0 for 11K nevermind a 2.26???
Up_to_something.gif

Just my opinion
Icelovr

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Make sure that stone is not clarity enhanced or anything strange. The GIA or other lab cert should mention it. i don't mind the color as much as the I1. Again, if that doesn't bug you, great!!

As for a "tinted" stone, if you like it, I say go for it. I have been seeing rounds all day in that size and larger with tint. I don't dislike it, I actually think it has charater, and oddly think it makes the stone seem "older" in a "passed down, grandma's sort of ring" way. Which is very nice!

Also, keep looking around, but as always, there is no substitution for the human eye. If you like it, make sure that your money is well spent, because that's a bit of money! good luck and let us know what you decide...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

We do not use any special lights- looking at the diamond, then the photo, it looks representative to me.

As far as prices- let's be clear: If someone is offering a 2.26 G/SI1 for $11,000 something is horribly wrong.

Either the diamond is misgraded, or misrepresented.

The price is well below current wholesale for a reasonable well cut 2.26 with GIA G/SI1 report- We all would love a bargain- but if the price is too low, a red flag should go up.

As far as diamonds which have plastic injected into them ( Yehuda stones)- I do not like the way they look- or the theory behind them- but this is personal opnion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's such hell trying to get a feal of these color grades from pictures... White background actually anything close to the famous standard grading conditions somewhat helps, but who wears diamond on white enamel rings?

It does help seeng side-by-side pics or at least some taken in the same conditions. Not much help - that is. Hope there would be a decent solution to this.

I would be posting here the portrait of a D color from Diamondsbylauren, if they werent under lock
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
AnA- Please- post away!

I have no problem at all if anyone wishes to use one of my photos for educational puposes.

I only ask for credit- and possibly a heads up so I can see it!

comp.JPG

Of course AnA's point about the dificulty of seeing color of diamonds in a photo is well taken.

I am lucky in that we sell quite a few yellows, and I have developed a good hand photographong natural yellows- and the difference in shades is noticable on camera.

Above I've taken our K and put it next to a 3.02 I/SI1. THis is the position we look at colorless diamonds for the purpose of color grading.

It IS hard to see any difference!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is kind of blurred terrain, but the spectrum of the two objects in the pic is about 7% apart (not my view, Correl's stats) - making the stone to the right whiter
1.gif

Not that I see anything, for better or worse.... With such close average saturation I am not sure one is supposed to see a difference! Those color scales in your average online diamond color tutorial cannot but fail, I am affraid (example below).

The (rather lame) bmp below gets the two average yellow tones lined up to the right of a white refference - sort of in the same spirit as the representations used in the cut tutorial here. Hope this one post did not finally cross the line of common sense
sad.gif
of course.

WYY.JPG

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey David, any pictures of a D, a G, an I and and L together to see the progression? That would be interesting to see them all together...hmmm...

Thanks for the pics! And L doesn't look all that yellow, but mostly in well cut round stones, face up, it isn't really THAT yellow...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results