shape
carat
color
clarity

Kunzite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepmars

Rough_Rock
Has anyone heard of Kunzite being grown synthetically?
Thanks,
Steve

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you? I would very surprised to hear that this was synthetized solely for use in jewelry (with no larger scale technical application I know of) - cheap, abundant and color fading as it is.
read.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
There is a new treatment of topaz that looks like Kunzite, but does not fade. I have not seen synthetic other than the old synthetic spinel which can be light pink. When I am at the Hong Kong show in Sept, I will see everything that is new. If I see it do you want to know about it? The Aphganistan stuff is still out there at a pretty reasonable price from 1000 different dealers in big sizes.
Scott

stepmars

Rough_Rock
The gem I'm asking about could be Topaz although I thought it was Kunzite (and was originally sold to me as Morganite). RI test result of 1.6X showed it wasn't Morganite but it's not worth me getting hardness or specific gravity tests to be any more certain. Under a microscope it displays a straight line through it's centre. I've been told this is probably evidence of a substrate used to synthetically grow the gem but is Topaz any more likely to be synthesised than Kunzite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results